Thread: Review of Allen Barton's "Disconnection:

Default Review of Allen Barton's "Disconnection:

Hi everyone...

Larry Anderson here of "Orientation" fame (or perhaps more aptly, "infamy"). It is a rare thing for me to post on Scientology-related blogs or forums, but I felt compelled to reach out to the "Ex" community and share an urgent message about a remarkable experience I had last night.

I had the great privilege of attending the final "preview performance" of a truly brilliant and razor-edged work of theatre penned by former Church-member, Allen Barton. The play is called "Disconnection" and it's officially opening tonight (1/24) at the Beverly Hills Playhouse and runs Fri, Sat, and Sun evenings through March 1st. Run... don't walk... to get tickets to this play. Or better yet, go here: http://skylighttheatrecompany.com/pl...onnection.html

You have only 14 opportunities (performances) to experience this extraordinary work which is why I rushed home to get this notice out without delay.

I won't spend time here providing details about plot, setting, or even the fascinating story of what motivated Allen to indict the CO$ so audaciously in this piece. For that, please check out these posts on Rindersblog: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/disconnection-the-play/ and the Underground Bunker: http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/19/chr...ms/#more-18720

Instead, I will just state that throughout two mesmerizing hours of theater, performed by six extraordinary actors under the guidance of their skillful director, Joel Polis, Allen Barton leaves no stone unturned and deftly exposes everything from Church recruitment tactics, LRH's falsified history, stalking and harassment of defectors, Gerry Armstrong, the Hole, staff beatings by the "Chairman", the RPF, the relentless money grab to sell lectures, meters and services, declaring people SPs, the outright perversion of "the greatest good for the greatest number", the journey from finding one's ruin to the creation of a full-blown mind-controlled robot, and of course – Disconnection (the main thread that affects each character in the play) including an astonishing monologue from The Founder himself.

Allen Barton has accomplished something truly extraordinary with his brazen indictment of Scientology and its corrupt Management. He has successfully pared the Scientologese and cult esoterica to a minimum and found (for the most part) the "wog" means of expressing these concepts. Regardless of the make-up of the audience, the experience is an altogether disturbing, thought-provoking, fascinating, and frightening one (speckled throughout with wonderful moments of humor and irony), that can be enjoyed equally by those with first-hand experience in the sect and those with only fleeting awareness of the subject.

If you live anywhere near Los Angeles, or were planning a visit sometime in the future, or, if you have the freedom and the wherewithal to just pick up and go, make every effort to get here in the coming month to see this play. It's an experience you will not forget. As an ex-Scientologist, "Disconnection" struck me at my very core and moved me to tears.

Larry Anderson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR Film.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	9212
    Allen – also a fine actor – starred in the cult Tech Film "Auditor Beingness", circa 1998. Here he is with Jason Beghe, myself, and Jeff Pomerantz, playing supporting roles as Church execs.
    Last edited by Re-Oriented; 25th January 2015 at 07:02 PM.

2. Thanks mnql1, Orglodyte, NOLAGirl, aegerprimo, Sidney18511 and 16 others says "thank you" for this post
    Likes mnql1, aegerprimo, Draco, Stat, tetloj and 11 others liked this post

Default Larry Anderson Review of Allen Barton's "Disconnection:

Hi Larry! Good to see you popping in to ESMB!

Thanks so much for posting your review of Disconnection and lending such encouragement that others attend these limited performances. I wish I could see it but I am on the East Coast and not able to get out there for this. I am hoping there will eventually be a video of the show, like Roslyn Cohn made for her "diffiCULT to leave" performance which Allen was very supportive of.

Like I did with Roz's show, I will do what I can to help promote Allen's show and this terrific review of yours.

We also have a running thread here called Allen Barton's play "Disconnection opening in L.A., so I also will post a link to your review over there.

Again, thanks and do drop in now and again. You have lots of fan's here, myself included.

Mary McConnell
    ~ Mary McConnell, my nom de plume
    Internet Resources on Scientology for newcomers
    Narconon Reviews Get the facts about Narconon.
    Reaching For The Tipping Point A place to keep up on what is being done to expose Scn & it's front groups, like Narconon, CCHR etc to the general public. Lots of up-to-date info. Join us
    My Scribd Scn & Narconon Legal Dox
    Ex-Sea Org Helpline "...leaving the confines of Scientology is a process, not a single event."

4. Thanks lotus, sallydannce, Type4_PTS, Free Being Me says "thank you" for this post

Default Re: Review of Allen Barton's "Disconnection:

Will it be filmed Larry?

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Oriented View Post
    Hi everyone...

Larry Anderson here -- of "Orientation" fame (or perhaps more aptly, "infamy"). It is a rare thing for me to post on Scientology blogs or forums, but I felt compelled to reach out to the "Ex" community and share an urgent message about a remarkable experience I had last night.

I had the great privilege of attending the final "preview performance" of a truly brilliant and razor-edged work of theatre penned by former Church-member, Allen Barton. The play is called "Disconnection" and it's officially opening tonight (1/24) at the Beverly Hills Playhouse and runs Fri, Sat, and Sun evenings through March 1st. Run... don't walk... to get tickets to this play. Or better yet, go here: http://skylighttheatrecompany.com/pl...onnection.html

You have only 14 opportunities (performances) to experience this extraordinary work which is why I rushed home to get this notice out without delay.

I won't spend time here providing details about plot, setting, or even the fascinating story of what motivated Allen to indict the CO$ so audaciously in this piece. For that, please check out this these posts on Rindersblog: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/disconnection-the-play/ and the Underground Bunker: http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/19/chr...ms/#more-18720

Instead, I will just state that throughout two mesmerizing hours of theater, performed by six extraordinary actors under the guidance of their skillful director, Joel Polis, Allen Barton leaves no stone unturned and deftly exposes everything from Church recruitment tactics, LRH's falsified history, stalking and harassment of defectors, Gerry Armstrong, the Hole, staff beatings by the "Chairman", the RPF, the relentless money grab to sell lectures, meters and services, declaring people SPs, the outright perversion of "greatest good for the greatest number", the journey from finding one's ruin to the creation of a full-blown, mind-controlled robot, and of course – Disconnection (the main thread that affects each character in the play) including an astonishing monologue from The Founder himself.

Allen Barton has accomplished something truly extraordinary with this brazen indictment of Scientology and it's corrupt Management. He has successfully pared the Scientologese and cult esoterica to a minimum and found (for the most part) the "wog" means of expressing these concepts. Regardless of the make-up of the audience, the experience is an altogether disturbing, thought-provoking, fascinating, and frightening one (speckled throughout with wonderful moments of humor and irony), that can be enjoyed not only by those with first-hand experience in the sect, but equally by those with a fleeting awareness of the subject.

If you live anywhere near enough to Los Angeles, or were planning a visit sometime in the future, or, if you have the freedom and the wherewithal to just pick up and go, make every effort to get here in the next month to see this play. It's an experience you will not forget. As an ex-Scientologist, "Disconnection" struck me at my very core and moved me to tears.

Larry Anderson

Allen – also a fine actor – starred in the cult Tech Film "Auditor Beingness", circa 1998. Here he is with Jason Beghe, myself, and Jeff Pomerantz, playing supporting roles as Church execs.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." (Nikola Tesla)

"In the twenty-first century, the robot will take the place which slave labor occupied in ancient civilization."(Nikola Tesla)

Silver Meritorious Patron Cherished's Avatar

Default Larry Anderson - Allen Barton's "Disconnection" "struck me at my very core"

Larry Anderson just sent an email with the following message:

Hi everyone...Larry Anderson here -- of "Orientation" fame (or perhaps more aptly, "infamy"). It is a rare thing for me to post on Scientology blogs or forum,, but I felt compelled to reach out to the"Ex" community and share an urgent message about a remarkable experience I had last night.

I had the great privilege of attending the final "preview performance" of a truly brilliant and razor-edged work of theatre penned by former "church-member" Allen Barton. The play is called "Disconnection" and it's officially opening tonight (1/24) at the Beverly Hills Playhouse and runs Fri, Sat, andSun evenings through March 1st. Run... don't walk... to get tickets to this play. Or better yet, go here:http://skylighttheatrecompany.com/plays-and-events/2015-season-disconnection.html

I won't spend time here providing details about plot, setting, or even the fascinating story of what motivated Allen to indict the CO$ so audaciously in this piece. For that, please check out this post on Rinders blog from about a month ago:http://www.mikerindersblog.org/disconnection-the-play/

Instead,I will just state that throughout two mesmerizing hours of theater,performed by six extraordinary actors, under the guidance of their skillful director, Joel Polis, Allen leaves no stone unturned and deftly exposes everything from Church recruitment tactics, LRH's falsified history, stalking and harassment of defectors, GerryArmstrong, the Hole, staff beatings by the "Chairman", theRPF, the relentless money grab of lectures, meters and services,declaring people SPs, the outright perversion of the "greatest good for the greatest number", the "bridge" from finding one's ruin to creating a full-blown, mind-controlled robot,and of course – Disconnection (the main thread that affects each character in the play).

AllenBarton has accomplished something truly extraordinary with this brazen indictment of all aspects of Scientology and it's corrupt"Management". He has managed to cleverly reduce the Scientologese and Church esoterica to a minimum and found (for the most part) the "wog" means of expressing these concepts. Regardless of the make-up of the audience, the experience is an altogether disturbing, thought-provoking, fascinating, and frightening one (speckled throughout with wonderful moments of humor and irony), that can be enjoyed not only by those with first-hand experience in the cult, but equally by those with a fleeting awareness of the subject.

If you live anywhere near enough to Los Angeles, or plan a visit for sometime in the future,or, if you have the freedom and the wherewithal to just pick up and go, get here in the next month and see this play. It's an experience you will not forget. As an ex-Scientologist, "Disconnection"struck me at my very core and moved me to tears.

Larry Anderson

Name:	allen.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	9214
    Allen– also a fine actor – starred in a Scn Tech film over a decade ago. Here he is with Jason Beghe, myself, and Jeff Pomerantz, playing supporting roles as Church execs.

7. Thanks Anonycat, cakemaker, Knows, Sindy, Type4_PTS and 1 others says "thank you" for this post

No idea - that's a call to be made by Allen and The Beverly Hills Playhouse. But that can be a complicated matter due to having to get the actors to sign off on it as there is no pay involved and they agree to have their work presented in the venue of the Playhouse only. Any recording of the work brings in issues of fair remuneration for their talent and time. The Playhouse would require a sponsor to pick up the cost of that no doubt, if it were ever to find itself on tape or film for public exhibition.

In the case of Roz Cohn I believe she was the only performer and of course she can do whatever she please with her recording. Although I believe she had a music collaborator who would have to sign off on it.

9. Thanks NOLAGirl, aegerprimo, Sidney18511, AnonyMary, Sindy and 1 others says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Draco liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron Little David's Avatar

Was the premier being on the anniversary of LRH's death coincidence?

I've cross posted Larry Anderson's review onto DBZ, OCMB and WWP.
    Last edited by Little David; 25th January 2015 at 03:57 AM.

11. Thanks AnonyMary says "thank you" for this post
    Likes aegerprimo, AnonyMary liked this post

What an incredible review. If I could fly to LA right now, I would. I'm sorry I will not get to see this show. You've really piqued my interest and I'll be sure to tell all the people I can -- who are close enough -- to go see this now!
    "Scientology: The only game in the universe where the rapist is your ethics officer." - HelluvaHoax

"Yes Scientology at this point is nothing but its own funeral. You might as well leave early and beat the traffic. " - Thrak

13. Likes AnonyMary, sallydannce, lotus, Type4_PTS liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Oriented View Post

15. Thanks NOLAGirl, aegerprimo, tetloj, sallydannce says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Draco, dchoiceisalwaysrs liked this post