Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Dean Wilbur Rhetoric Hubbard dianetics sicientology

Crusader

Default Re: Dean Wilbur Rhetoric Hubbard dianetics sicientology

http://www.european-rhetoric.com/eth...ion-aristotle/

"Of the modes of persuasion furnished by the spoken word there are three kinds. The first kind depends on the personal character of the speaker [ethos]; the second on putting the audience into a certain frame of mind [pathos]; the third on the proof, or apparent proof, provided by the words of the speech itself [logos]. Persuasion is achieved by the speaker’s personal character when the speech is so spoken as to make us think him credible.
    Aristotle 1356a 2,3"

If you google search Ethos, it says ethics as one of it's definitions. Hubbard did a nice job of redefining that word, and deflection from it's true meaning so as to keep in hiding his real life history instead of the illusion he created, a magicians trick I do say.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib View Post
    further expanding what Caroline quoted above from hubbard, the next paragraph is :

so what this tells me looking thru the lens of rhetoric, hubbard implies the government is using agent provocateur and agent sabotage to stop dianetics, and yet hubbard uses the same technigues later on fully with his pts/sp/GO tech. ( in one of the Campbell/Heinlein letters in 1949 Campbell tells Heinlein about how the government is trying to stop Dianetics).

The last line in red is of course complete bullshit as hubbard just wrote a book where he supposedly cleared 270 people, and he never did, he lied his ass off from the get go.

Further along in hubbard's speech he speaks this:

Sounds familiar, first you sell him the idea of "clear" and what a "clear" can do, and then you sell him the cure, the glorious state of "clear" thru dianetics auditing and then scientology auditing. The very last sentence of dianetics is "better build a bridge"

First you sell the single source of all aberration...the engram...the reactive mind...the dramatization. Then you sell him Clearing technology to erase the engram...empty the reactive mind...lifting and Clearing the dramatization.
    "Religion is free; Scientology is neither."

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever." - George Orwell, 1984

"L. Ron Hubbard is the cult leader for the crime that is Scientology." - Cleverbot

"And while we're at it I might as well toss this in for a good laugh. We were doing a lot of "research" on Rockslams at that time and one of the Hubbard thing's rockslamming items was...(oh you're going to love this)...'unlimited wealth'" - Mystic

3. Thanks Gib says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Gib liked this post

Hi, Gib,

I've never read this thread until now and wanted to quip in.

You stated rhetoric was supposed to be used for good. I've never gotten that before.

Philosophy is, literally, the love of wisdom...the love of truth. As in Socrates it is an inquiry into the nature of something...a truth...beginning from a state of knowing nothing. This is opposed to rhetoric which is an assumed air of knowledge in an effort to persuade instead of or inlieu of discovering an actual or any truth. It is false knowledge. It is superficial fact finding and truth. It is the opposite of the love of truth.

If you look at the definition of a rhetorical question you can see the entire concept. A rhetorical question is not posed as a sincere inquiry for information. It is posed to make a statement, i.e. a conclusion about whatever.

That is what rhetoric is.

Hubbard used it all of the time as in "self abnegation has filled southeast jungles with stone idols and corpses and democracy has given us inflation and income tax"...therefore dismissing any ideas along those lines. If you look at this it is an appeal to persuasion and not a true conclusion from a hypothesis, premise(s), etc.

It is the opposite of philosophy...and you thought Scientology was an "applied philosophy". HaHa!!! It's actually applied rhetoric!

Great thread, btw.

PS Terril gives excellent examples earlier. I just wanted to add to it the juxtaposed theories of rhetoric to philosophy. Greek schools of rhetoric were considered shallow to Socrates...who felt students learning to persuade was of negative worth and that the pursuit of truth was divine.
    "Religion is free; Scientology is neither."

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever." - George Orwell, 1984

"L. Ron Hubbard is the cult leader for the crime that is Scientology." - Cleverbot

"And while we're at it I might as well toss this in for a good laugh. We were doing a lot of "research" on Rockslams at that time and one of the Hubbard thing's rockslamming items was...(oh you're going to love this)...'unlimited wealth'" - Mystic

5. Thanks Gib says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Gib liked this post
    Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by guanoloco View Post
    Hi, Gib,

I've never read this thread until now and wanted to quip in.

You stated rhetoric was supposed to be used for good. I've never gotten that before.

Philosophy is, literally, the love of wisdom...the love of truth. As in Socrates it is an inquiry into the nature of something...a truth...beginning from a state of knowing nothing. This is opposed to rhetoric which is an assumed air of knowledge in an effort to persuade instead of or inlieu of discovering an actual or any truth. It is false knowledge. It is superficial fact finding and truth. It is the opposite of the love of truth.

If you look at the definition of a rhetorical question you can see the entire concept. A rhetorical question is not posed as a sincere inquiry for information. It is posed to make a statement, i.e. a conclusion about whatever.

That is what rhetoric is.

Hubbard used it all of the time as in "self abnegation has filled southeast jungles with stone idols and corpses and democracy has given us inflation and income tax"...therefore dismissing any ideas along those lines. If you look at this it is an appeal to persuasion and not a true conclusion from a hypothesis, premise(s), etc.

It is the opposite of philosophy...and you thought Scientology was an "applied philosophy". HaHa!!! It's actually applied rhetoric!

Great thread, btw.

PS Terril gives excellent examples earlier. I just wanted to add to it the juxtaposed theories of rhetoric to philosophy. Greek schools of rhetoric were considered shallow to Socrates...who felt students learning to persuade was of negative worth and that the pursuit of truth was divine.
    I know what you saying about "rhetorical question", but it's usage came about in the late middle English period. I don't think Aristotle came up with rhetorical question, there is a difference.

And , oh yah, scientology is rhetoric. It's, that is both scientology and rhethoric, is the art of writing and speeches ( how many lectures did Hubbard give?, why he gave more speeches than books?).

I really love this lecture series by Hugh Blair, it's beautiful writing. https://archive.org/details/lecturesonrheto31blaigoog

What's interesting is Dean Wilbur's book is actually quite similar, and Hubbard corrupted what these two said. And as far as I'm concerned, Hubbard used additionally Le Bon work's to create a crowd instead of independent thinkers. And of course he used others as well, The warp and woof, a spiders web one might say, and Hubbard's org board is exactly that, anybody that gets invloved in scientology is plugged into Hubbard's org board of scientology. or his woof and warp.
    Last edited by Gib; 29th May 2017 at 04:21 AM.

Crusader

Hubbard first said Woof and Warp I believe in the PDC's, but I forget now w/o looking up. DM has come up with a new to sell to the Crowd scientologists a lecture series called "Scientology and Tradition", which is part of "The Basics" that all members were ordered to buy and listen to and go "on course" at a local Mission or Org, gotta luv DM's marketing bullshit pulling one over the sheeple, LOL.

Anyways, this the official COS website talking about Hubbard's rhetoric of culture and fabric and woof and warp.
    https://www.scientology.org/store/it...n-classic.html

Here is a quote in the name of fair usage from the above link:

"To that end, Mr. Hubbard delivers a comprehensive, 360-degree account of how Scientology basics correlate to the customs, mores, policies, laws and traditions that make up the fabric of a culture. Here is a technology on how to communicate Scientology that is not only essential to dissemination, but may well determine the woof and warp of future civilizations."

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718