Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

  1. #11
    Crusader Sindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSheila View Post
    Mmmm... Marty's version probably has plenty of poetic license.

    Still, I was at Big Blue at the time and heard the story from my Security Guard sweetie at the time, who was on duty and witnessed what happened then.

    There are a few details Marty didn't mention.

    One is that Marty was assigned to guard Diane and pick her up and take her home because of her ex-husband's threat. He wanted to play hero though and catch Joe, so trolled around the block slowly trying to get Joe to come out, using Diane as bait. Perhaps he didn't take the threat seriously; it's not like there were a lot of shooting murders by ex-staff. Marty was indirectly responsible for Diane's death and he knows it.

    So were all the SO Members at the time in the GO and who knew about Joe's threat and were in a position to do something aabout it - none of these people reported the threat to the police or Joe would have been apprehended earlier. He was reported to have been staying just down the road at a local hotel. Easy for the police to catch him and disarm him, which would have saved Diane's life.

    Marty also chased after Joe. Jeff Porter knocked him down once to stop him. He definitely had the gun aimed at him. I didn't hear anything about it running out of bullets, I heard Joe turned around with Diane without shooting and Marty chased after him.

    I don't know why you'd want to give this story a lot of publicity. It's what stupid people do that take the law in their own hands and don't use the police. Marty was not a hero. Nobody was a hero that day. It was a terrible event that was so badly botched up and mishandled that two people lost their lives.
    Thanks Sheila. Wow. No words.
    "Scientology: The only game in the universe where the rapist is your ethics officer." - HelluvaHoax

    "Yes Scientology at this point is nothing but its own funeral. You might as well leave early and beat the traffic. " - Thrak

  2. Thanks JustSheila says "thank you" for this post
  3. #12
    Angelic Poster TG1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,530

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    It's my experience that there are as many different versions of an event like the Diane Coletto murder as there are people opining on it.
    And dear God, I pray that COB and other cult predators are profoundly humiliated in a way we can all laugh at and give each other high-fives about—after which someone takes us all out for lots of ice cream and then we all go home and get to stay up really late and watch cartoons.

  4. Thanks Northern Shewolf, dchoiceisalwaysrs, MrNobody, WildKat, tetloj says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Bluebell, dchoiceisalwaysrs, MissWog liked this post
  5. #13

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    You're welcome, Syn.

    I've written a lot more about this earlier because it angered me that Marty would actually have the audacity to brag about it in his book. He's done a lot of good, but he can be a real fuckwit sometimes. This is one of those times. I deleted my earlier entries as it was pretty rough on Marty (Mark) and there were parts I didn't fully understand, either.

    I didn't expect Marty to mention that he was driving around and around the complex block for days with Diane to try to draw Joe out. But I can't believe he tried to make himself out as a hero and turn the Colletto's lives into some cheap adventure story to satisfy his own ego and that's really offensive to me. Marty went over the top on this one - even omitting the other two security guards who were there - Jeff Porter and DC, and the fact Andre Tabayoyon came along just seconds after the shooting.

    Andre said the shooting happened in the car with Marty. That much is true as witnessed.

    However it is viewed, it was a tragedy. John was a known threat and had been blown from the RPF for weeks and the police were not contacted. Two people lost their lives. There are no heros in a tragedy like that.
    Last edited by JustSheila; 17th April 2015 at 03:20 AM.

  6. Thanks wazn, Northern Shewolf, Bluebell, In present time, dchoiceisalwaysrs and 5 others says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Northern Shewolf, Bluebell, MissWog liked this post
  7. #14
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    None of your G-D- bid ness
    Posts
    3,096

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    Quote Originally Posted by degraded being View Post
    When things get shook up for organizations which have been corrupt, including religious, political and business/financial institutions, there is often a progression of relative shock value in the things that get shook out. There is often a point where something more rotten than anything already known falls and lands in full view.

    I am wondering if that is going to happen - with the scientology shaking up that is going to continue all through 2015 and probably beyond.
    I've been thinking these same thoughts...waiting for that other shoe to drop.....

  8. Thanks Northern Shewolf, Bluebell says "thank you" for this post
  9. #15
    Gold Meritorious SP Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    7,994

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSheila View Post
    I've written a lot more about this earlier because it angered me that Marty would actually have the audacity to brag about it in his book. He's done a lot of good, but he can be a real fuckwit sometimes. This is one of those times. I deleted my earlier entries as it was pretty rough on Marty (Mark) and there were parts I didn't fully understand, either.

    I didn't expect Marty to mention that he was driving around and around the complex block for days with Diane to try to draw Joe out. But I can't believe he tried to make himself out as a hero and turn the Colletto's lives into some cheap adventure story to satisfy his own ego and that's really offensive to me. Marty went over the top on this one - even omitting the other two security guards who were there - Jeff Porter and DC, and the fact Andre Tabayoyon came along just seconds after the shooting.

    However it is viewed, it was a tragedy. Joe was a known threat and had been blown from the RPF for weeks and the police were not contacted. Two people lost their lives. There are no heros in a tragedy like that.
    The real victim here was Diane Hertz Coletto, who died as result of domestic abuse. Diane was 2nd generation. Her mom may be still alive today.. Polly Schwartz Hertz. I don't find any links to her ever receiving a funeral. Sad.

    http://www.truthaboutscientology.com...lly-hertz.html

    http://www.oursites.org/pollyhertz/myself.htm

    http://www.garon.us/images2/obits/He...bit%201978.htm

  10. Thanks Northern Shewolf, MrNobody, tetloj, JustSheila, WildKat says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Northern Shewolf, MissWog liked this post
  11. #16
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    None of your G-D- bid ness
    Posts
    3,096

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSheila View Post
    I don't know why you'd want to give this story a lot of publicity. It's what stupid people do that take the law in their own hands and don't use the police. Marty was not a hero. Nobody was a hero that day. It was a terrible event that was so badly botched up and mishandled that two people lost their lives.
    Did I or someone else imply Marty was a hero?

    Also, I see no reason to bury the story. There was a murder, Marty was there.

  12. Thanks Northern Shewolf, degraded being, MrNobody, anonomog, MissWog and 2 others says "thank you" for this post
  13. #17
    Gold Meritorious SP Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    7,994

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    Quote Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
    Did I or someone else imply Marty was a hero? Also, I see no reason to bury the story. There was a murder, Marty was there.
    Tony O wrote about it 2 years ago: http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/05/rem...-been-60-today

  14. Thanks Northern Shewolf, MrNobody, MissWog, JustSheila, WildKat says "thank you" for this post
  15. #18
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    None of your G-D- bid ness
    Posts
    3,096

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    I think the topic is also important because the murderer was a Class VI auditor as well as OTIIIX, whatever "X" means...I think it means Expanded, I don't know if they do that anymore.

  16. Thanks Northern Shewolf, MrNobody, MissWog, Sindy says "thank you" for this post
    Likes TG1 liked this post
  17. #19

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    WildKat,

    I don't understand your point.

    It was a traumatic event. John was a victim of Scientology and RPF abuse, Diane was a victim of domestic abuse and Scientology's lack of using proper police protection.

    I'm glad Marty didn't bring it up in his interview. It shows he's come a long way since he wrote his book and spun a hero's story out of it. I respect him for not doing that a second time. He is growing, he is changing.

    I can give you plenty of reasons why it shouldn't be brought up, other than to honour the sad memories of Diane and John and their families:

    1) Murder investigations can be re-opened and a lot of lies were told to the police. Jeff Porter is still in the Sea Org and was a witness. Andre T spent many years fighting COS and does not want to take on another battle. DC (other witness) is living a life completely out of Scn and would not want any part in it.

    2) Marty has enough on his plate.

    3) It's sensationalism.

    4) Between all of Marty's auditing afterward and the different stories spun about it to the police, I doubt anyone even knows wtf exactly happened anymore.

    5) It's just disrespectful to Diane. She was loved. She would not want to be remembered that way.

    RIP Diane.

  18. #20
    Gold Meritorious SP Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    7,994

    Default Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

    Quote Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
    I think the topic is also important because the murderer was a Class VI auditor as well as OTIIIX, whatever "X" means...I think it means Expanded, I don't know if they do that anymore.
    OTIIIX is defunct. Bruce Hines explained the old OT IIIX in this answer in an earlier Bunker series Tony Ortega did:

    "The other strange thing about Old OT 7 was the point at which one did it. It was not done after Old OT 6. It was done after OT 3. Go figure. Well there was some logic to it. The sequence went OT 3, Old OT 7, OT 3 Expanded, Old OT 4, Old OT 5, Old OT 6.

    The terminology was that if one had done Old OT 7, but not the higher OT levels, one was “OT 7 EP.” EP is the abbreviation for End Phenomena. If one then progressed up the levels and completed Old OT 6, one was deemed to be “Full OT 7.” It was at that point that many people had dead-ended before the release of NOTs.

    Hubbard’s idea was that after OT 3, the pre-OT would then be in shape to do Old OT 7, and then, with improved ability to project intention, on OT 3 Expanded (simply redoing the steps of OT 3) more body thetans could be located and blown. This was the first time the pre-OT had to go find more BTs after having attested to the fact that there were no more BTs. By the way, an attest in Scientology is a big deal. A “false attest” results in the automatic assignment of the ethics condition of Doubt (see Jeff Hawkins’ excellent account of these conditions)." - Bruce Hines

  19. Thanks Northern Shewolf, dchoiceisalwaysrs, WildKat, Leland, Sindy says "thank you" for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 31st December 2014, 03:43 PM
  2. Replies: 407
    Last Post: 29th October 2014, 12:31 AM
  3. Marty (The Rat) Rathbun
    By GreyWolf in forum Tony Ortega
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 1st February 2012, 12:34 AM
  4. Marty Rathbun and Co.
    By failmeansfail in forum MartyWorld
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 14th December 2009, 10:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •