Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: EMDR Therapy

Default Re: EMDR Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post

How come be it science or pure mumbo jumbo BS sometimes it works, sometimes not ?
    Science doesn't claim to wrk 100% with 100% of people
    When studies are conducted, it just prove to work as giving the expected result in either significant amount or significant amount of people.

while

Woo Woo and mumbo jumbo BS prove to bring no claimed benefit on either a significant manner (measures) or amount of people.

that is how it is measured.

True Ex-Scientologist programmer_guy's Avatar

<snip>
    How come be it science or pure mumbo jumbo BS sometimes it works, sometimes not ?

Perhaps you can explain why science sometimes doesn't work ?
    <snip>

It would be helpful if you would provide some specific examples to illustrate what you have in mind.
    The emphasis on finding and describing "knowledge structures" that are somewhere "inside" the individual encourages us to overlook the fact that human cognition is always situated in a complex sociocultural world and cannot be unaffected by it. - Edwin Hutchins
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hutchins

3. Thanks Type4_PTS says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Linus View Post
    I don't know if we somehow misunderstood each other Gizmo, but I certainly can not explain to you how science "doesn't work sometimes." Then it wouldn't be science, would it? I was trying to be as polite as possible (and probably wound up just not being very clear) that I don't believe in "mind over matter." I can see positive thinking making someone "feel" better while they a battling out cancer or some such thing. I do not think however, it changes the ultimate outcome.
    I believe a persons ATTITUDE toward any form of treatment does have a bearing on the results of the treatment.

I didn't say sitting in a corner all by oneself one could " postulate " away cancer. I have seen that tried with deadly results - by person after person.
    " You can't focus on anything without attracting more of it "

"Contradictory beliefs cancel your energy because you have a built in mental conflict between the validity of one belief, expressing itself only at the direct expense of another belief".
    Mark Douglas

I believe a persons ATTITUDE toward any form of treatment does have a bearing on the results of the treatment.

I didn't say sitting in a corner all by oneself one could " postulate " away cancer. I have seen that tried with deadly results - by person after person.
    To tell you the truth, I am not sure about the attitude thing. Maybe the jury is still out on that for me. All I know is that I've lost quite a few people to illnesses like cancer no matter what their attitude was -- good, bad, or indifferent.

I also did not get the idea that you thought that someone could postulate their cancer away in a corner in lieu of medicine or some such nonsense. You're too smart for that. ;)

I have both physical and mental illness myself. I know that when I first got out of Scientology, I did not want to take a flake of medicine and I thought I could postulate it all away and think tone 40, theta thoughts. Like that would make a big difference. Ha. It probably took me a decade of SUFFERING before I went over to "the dark side" and became a huge advocate for science. Because I am an example where science definitely worked. And it didn't really matter what my attitude was, in my case anyway.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789