Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Nanny Story

Default A Nanny Story

In 1977, before the complex was fully renovated, all Pac orgs sent their EPF to one central Estates org for EPF training, the Pac Training Org. The lineup was fairly long and all recruits were required to complete a series of classes called Product 0 minimally, but ideally also complete both Product 1 and Product 2. The EPF was at its largest then, about 300 young people strong, and twice a day we had a huge EPF muster in Lebanon Hall.

One day, at the 3:00 muster, there was an announcement about a dire situation at the Child Estates Org where the children did not have adequate nannies and a call was made for volunteers. My friends tried to dissuade me, said I'd never get out of there, but I volunteered anyway. I was 16 then, a runaway, and completely green to Scientology.

On my first day, there were so many EPF there that the staff were scrambling to train and organise it all. So I was asked if I wanted to take a walk and see the other nurseries. This was when COS still owned the Melrose Ave building, before the children were moved to Fountain Avenue, and all the Sea Org nurseries were there, where we were bussed back and forth every day from the horseshoe entrance at Lebanon Hall.

Mostly the nurseries looked the same - wall to wall cribs, children spending most of their days in them, severely overcrowded nurseries with babies with propped up bottles and the smells of bleach, urine and dirty nappies. So I went down the halls and looked. One nursery was so different, though, that my eyes lit up and jaw dropped. One infant nursery had far less children and was exceedingly calm and peaceful. (To be continued)
    Last edited by JustSheila; 29th January 2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

2. Thanks Veda, afaceinthecrowd, Type4_PTS, WhatWall, AnonLover and 9 others says "thank you" for this post

Default Re: A Nanny Story

Oh goody, a story!

Edit~

It was an account of the conditions in St. Hill, hm, I think from a disenchanted person in the '70's, that originally got Hubbard's psychotic confabulation onto my personal radar. I'm not sure if I have the links on this PC, I'll look, but basically it was one of the saddest stories of just utter child neglect (ex's should not be surprised by that eh), starving, neglected lice-infested children, torn from their parent's care for days, weeks, months... then .... cold... as "Dr." Hubbard cut off their heating. Fuck.
    Anyone got the articles on this? If so, do post 'em!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Datis all fer nao. *sad*
    Last edited by Ogsonofgroo; 30th January 2016 at 03:44 AM. Reason: fkduplolol
    'Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.'
    Marcus Aurelius

THE BIG LIST of EX'S who have Spoken Out fx'd

4. Thanks Veda, JustSheila says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron tetloj's Avatar

What happened next Aunty Sheila?
    aka Ella Raitch

6. Thanks Ogsonofgroo says "thank you" for this post
    Likes JustSheila liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tetloj View Post
    What happened next Aunty Sheila?

She'll be back. Last I heard, she went to visit grammar.

"Of course, if it's true that Mr. Hubbard was never injured during the war,
    then he never did heal himself using Dianetics principles,
    then Dianetics is based on a lie, and then Scientology is based on a lie." - Tommy Davis

8. Thanks Ogsonofgroo says "thank you" for this post

The hallways at Melrose Child Care were carpeted with a multi-stained, bleached, discoloured, flat, tacked thing of unrecognisable color. And yet there were children running or walking around barefoot. The nursery bathrooms had loose tiles, leaking pipes and leaking toilets. Fungus grew behind the wet tiles and between them and in the walls themselves. And so there were cockroaches in the bathrooms and the walls. The entire building was infested. Bleach kept the buggers at bay, but bathroom doors were kept closed with towels stuffed under them to keep the roaches out of the nurseries. Maintenance was a joke.

At bath time, nannies used small child tubs to avoid making the tub walls worse. Nurseries had linoleum flooring, often torn in spots and very worn.

The building was a slum. it was a lot to take in and my head was spinning. Why were the children in this terrible place? I wondered.

So went my tour. But I was about to mention the weirdly nice nursery.

Just before it was Dori's nursery, which until then, was the nicest one yet. She had 5-6 infants sleeping lightly and she was friendly and sweet but tense. She said hello, and I asked her if that was all the kids she had? No, said Dori (also an EPFer, about 20 years old), she had another 5 down the hallway. She said she had to go check on them and left.

The next nursery, as I began my story, was exceptional. Like it didn't even belong there.
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

10. Thanks Veda, afaceinthecrowd, TheSneakster, Enthetan, AngeloV and 2 others says "thank you" for this post

It's odd, sometimes, the things we remember throughout our lives. We remember the firsts: our first days at school, first kiss, first fight. We remember shocks, like a family member dying, living through earthquakes, floods and fires. We remember the smell of dew on grass in the morning and the smell of cancer or gangrene. We remember embarrassment, elation, loss and victory. Between all those things are the routines, the usual, and it is the routines we forget. We remember the unusual, though, and sometimes we also remember the profound.

A young man sat in a chair outside a nursery with sleeping children. He was writing, but alert as I walked up to him.shhhh! He said, barely audible. They're sleeping!

i softly apologised and asked the man if I could just have one quick peak? He looked at me skeptically and grudgingly agreed.

i remember that day as if it was yesterday. I remember that man, that nursery and those children as if I was just there. The others' nurseries, except Dori's next door became a blur over time, but I remember that nursery because what I saw was too beautiful to ever forget.

There were 5-6 children, all deeply asleep. It was their expressions that got me, the way their bodies were positioned. They'd all been wrapped in blankets just so, not too tight or loose. There were no worry lines on their faces and every child smiled. Each had a favourite soft animal or pillow or things - every crib was individualised, like a child's own tailored world . I didn't smell bleach or cleaners, either, just sweet, clean baby.

Then the young man explained to me that this child liked this animal and little details about each one, but I was barely listening. I couldn't get my eyes off their faces. They were happy, calm, blissful even. They knew they were completely safe and loved. They felt secure and serene in that comfort. Every single face in that nursery, every little body expressed that security, that comfort, that peace and tranquility. It was profound, and in that building under those conditions, like a miracle, a sliver of heaven down grunge hallway.

The man was hussling me out of the nursery now. He was very protective. He told me I had to leave and he had reports to write.

i asked him his name . He said it was Michael but don't call him Mike. Everyone always just called him by his last name anyway.

(to be continued)

- Cleared Cannibal

12. Thanks Veda, afaceinthecrowd, Type4_PTS, Karen#1, tetloj and 2 others says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron TheOriginalBigBlue's Avatar

Here is some supporting material for Sheila's story:
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-0707.html
    Re: $cientology "school"
[07 Jul 1997]
    Sea Org members had no time -- or money -- to look after their children.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-0525.html
    Re: Scientology lied to me over and over for years 
[25 May 1997]
    How I found, upon reporting to the Sea Org after an arduous journey, that
I had been lied to about the Sea Org's facilities for child care.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-0417.html
    Sea Org hours, "pay", children's conditions and other degradation...
[17 Apr 1997]
    During my years in the SO, I worked a minimum of 96 hours per week.
Often I worked as much as 108 hours in a week. And my pay actually
averaged about 10 cents per hour, since when I joined the SO, base
pay per Flag Order 3075 of 18 November 1971 was $10 per week.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-0415b.html
    Re: SO children
[15 Apr 1997]
    My own child was in pre-school at the Cadet Org. The preparation for first grade was non-existent 
with the constant turnover of untrained and unqualified personnel (who were mostly cast-offs
that the other orgs didn't want on staff as they were "DBs" - degraded beings). 
My kid ended up failing the first grade.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-0415a.html
    Re: Sea Org Children again
[15 Apr 1997]
    In my Sea Org days, such heavy demand (and often threat) was made for staff
to get their stats up that many staff did not go on their "family time" and
visit their children.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-0410.html
    PAC CADET ORG / CADET ESTATES ORG ESTABLISHMENT EVAL
[10 Apr 1997]
    For an organization whose Founder ElRon said that the "children are our future", I never 
saw the management demonstrate that it truly cared.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1996-1224.html
    Cover-up of illegalities in Cadet Org
[24 Dec 1996]
    WHY is it that a group that SUPPOSEDLY CARES so much about the future of
    this planet, and which states that the children ARE our future, could this
    same group tolerate such sub-human conditions for their children?
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1996-1219.html
    Neglect of children in Sea Org
[19 Dec 1996]
    An excerpt from Aides Order 203-71, "PAC CADET ORG/CADET ESTATES ORG ESTABLISHMENT EVAL"
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1996-1218.html
    Children in Sea Org
[18 Dec 1996]
    An excerpt from Flag Order 1630 entitled "GOVERNESS" dated 3 December 1968.
    _____
    http://warrior.xenu.ca/1996-0917b.html
    PAC CADET ORG / CADET ESTATES ORG ESTABLISHMENT EVAL [17 Sep 1996]
    "DUE TO LACK OF IMPORTANCE GIVEN TO CHILDREN ... THE CADET ORG AND CEO HAVE BEEN LEFT IN THE HANDS OF UNQUALIFIED AND (IN SOME CASES) CRIMINAL CHILDREN AND ADULTS..."
    _____

14. Thanks Veda, afaceinthecrowd, Type4_PTS, tetloj, AnonLover and 3 others says "thank you" for this post
    Likes TheSneakster, JustSheila liked this post

Than you, BB.

Tetloj and Ogs, I'm glad you like stories!

As you may have figured out, this is the children's story, but it is also Michael Hobson's story as I know it from personal experience and I hope he understands the reason I tell it is because he's not good at showing who he is to others. Over time, those of us who knew Hobs grew quite fond of him for good reason.

He is a private sort of guy who would never tell his own story. My interactions with Hobson were brief and limited, never intimate or highly personal, so this is just a small window to one time period in his life. I think it's just enough of a glimpse for others to see his personality and character and hopefully end the misunderstandings once and for all. Judge for yourselves, though, I am only describing events.

(to Michael - I've taken this 'hat' on while you recuperate. Rest easy.I've got this. There is a rainbow after the rain.)
    Last edited by JustSheila; 30th January 2016 at 03:47 PM.

- Cleared Cannibal

16. Thanks Gizmo, Veda, Ogsonofgroo, afaceinthecrowd, Moderator 2 and 6 others says "thank you" for this post

I didn't realise Michael Hobson (Hobs) was an EPFer like me until we all got on the bus together headed for the complex. I'd thought he was a permanent nanny and now it bothered me deeply that I'd only seen about five permanent nannies. Was that all there were for all those children until the EPF got there? But there were so many administrative staff there!

It was weeks later when I found out that most of the other nannies had blown , that they blew on a regular basis and there was no harder or more emotionally heartbreaking job in the Sea Org than the post of nanny. The child care organisation had at least 3x the blow rate of any other, which I was later to read in Evals when I finished the EPF and was sent on mission there and read the files.

There were a lot of empty seats on the bus and I saw Hobs take up a 2-seater himself, focused and still writing reports. We would shower on arrival, go to our classes, dinner, and more EPF studies afterward.

- Cleared Cannibal

I was about to ask if you were talking about The Sneakster, then you said it.

Sounds like a guy with his heart in the right place, goodness knows the kids really needed a true friend in there.

Much as we say things about him that aren't the nicest, it is also good to hear about what is decent about him.

Thanks Sheila.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast