Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ex-Muslims of North America

Gold Meritorious Patron Churchill's Avatar

Default Sam Harris Podcast

Yesterday, Sam Harris posted a podcast (#81 - Waking Up with Sam Harris) with Sarah Haider, whose organization 'Ex-Muslims of North America," is, like ESMB itself, also dealing with the issues of intolerance and fear that so many ex-Scientologists face.

The need for anonymity on the part of so many former Scientologists is irrefutable evidence of the very real fear that many ex-Scientologists live with. Parallels abound between Scientology and Islam.

Be forewarned that this is 1:46 hours long, but I really think you that you will find this a stimulating and remarkable articulation. Scientology, not surprisingly, is mentioned at several places in the discussion.

I offer this also, as an antidote for those who, like myself, seek respite from the insipid faux intellectualism of Marty Rathbun.

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/81-leaving-islam
    -Len Zinberg

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough,
    we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we've been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."
    -Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

www.xenu.net

www.tonyortega.org

2. Thanks guanoloco, WildKat, WhatWall says "thank you" for this post
    Likes guanoloco, WhatWall, WildKat liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron WhatWall's Avatar

Default Re: Sam Harris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Yesterday, Sam Harris posted a podcast (#81 - Waking Up with Sam Harris) with Sarah Haider, whose organization 'Ex-Muslims of North America," is, like ESMB itself, also dealing with the issues of intolerance and fear that so many ex-Scientologists face.

The need for anonymity on the part of so many former Scientologists is irrefutable evidence of the very real fear that many ex-Scientologists live with. Parallels abound between Scientology and Islam.

Be forewarned that this is 1:46 hours long, but I really think you that you will find this a stimulating and remarkable articulation. Scientology, not surprisingly, is mentioned at several places in the discussion.

I offer this also, as an antidote for those who, like myself, seek respite from the insipid faux intellectualism of Marty Rathbun.

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/81-leaving-islam
    Down through the ages, Jews have again & again been hunted & killed, forced to leave their home countries & abandon all possessions, rounded up & exterminated and subjected to all manner of discrimination & persecution. Yet I don't see Jews declaring jihad and committing acts of terrorism around the world.

I think that Israel is being used to forward U.S. hegemony in the Middle East so my support for Israel is nuanced, but I never question the good will and civilizing influence of the Jewish people.

When the followers of Islam have endured the centuries of injustice, genocide and persecution that the Jews have endured, then they can make a case for terrorism. However, they would be better served by following the Jewish example.
    “... and laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt.” Publius Cornelius Tacitus, Annals Book 3

4. Likes Jump, Enthetan, WildKat liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Default Re: Ex-Muslims of North America

I listened to the whole interview. Wow. Two intelligent, articulate people calmly discussing Islamic issues. Some really good points made. Highly recommend taking the time to listen. Also, Scientology gets mentioned at least a couple times.

I consider Islam, spread of, to be the single greatest issue Western society faces. I've grown a bit bored discussing Scn because it pales in comparison. If there were 1.6 BILLION Scientologists and its influence was spreading all over the planet, it would be different. But if Tom Cruise and some of the whales weren't propping it up, Scn would already be history. A blip. Insignificant.

Islam is very significant and growing. It is heartening to see groups like these (Ex Muslims of North America) and I hope their influence will spread. They are the ESMB of the Muslim world.
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

6. Thanks guanoloco, Churchill, Jump, Enthetan, WhatWall says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Churchill, Jump, Enthetan, WhatWall, guanoloco liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    That's an understatement. In Islam, the penalty for leaving Islam is DEATH, with the killing to be carried out by any Muslim having the opportunity.

The only reason why Scientology doesn't do likewise, is because it is primarily based in Western societies which would not tolerate it.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    -Noam Chomsky

8. Thanks WildKat, Jump, WhatWall says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enthetan View Post
    That's an understatement. In Islam, the penalty for leaving Islam is DEATH, with the killing to be carried out by any Muslim having the opportunity.

The only reason why Scientology doesn't do likewise, is because it is primarily based in Western societies which would not tolerate it.
    Yep, in the interview, she talks about the very strict security protocols the group has to take, to protect themselves from the soldiers of Allah who want them dead for apostasy. She couldn't go into specifics, for obvious reasons. Yes, disconnection is horrible, but it's nothing like having your father or brother murder you in an "honor killing" for apostasy, or throw acid in your face for not wearing the hijab and bringing dishonor to the family.
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

10. Thanks Enthetan says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by guanoloco View Post
    I spoke too soon...I just checked out the 1st website and it's a political site laced with feminism and SJW rhetoric.

Too bad. I expect it to be fascism. What I would like to see and what I think would be most helpful would be stuff similar to ESMB where the common voice reflects the experience and where culties can exit without an agenda of dubious goals.
    I just went back and looked at the two first links given. IDK what I had encountered before but now these appear to be open and honest discussions of cult experiences. It's refreshing.

I believe that these communities need to be fostored, protected and nurtured as they will prove to be most constructive in deconstructing the cult experience of Islam.

This is what Western Universities, schools and media should be doing - providing a voice for these groups. Unfortunately these enterprises just mentioned are controlled by corporate entities that are owned and influenced by wealthy Saudis and other pro Islamic sources. As a result we get a skewed view from Western media and Universities.

A skewed view that is pro Cult and anti intellectual and anti Western.

In today's headlines, as in the date of this post, international gay rights activists are organizing anti Sharia marches globally. Sadly, in opposition to these marches, there are global LGBT groups organizing to protest these gay rights activist protesters. The LGBT crowds are stating that the anti Sharia protests are "Islamaphobic" and that the LGBT crowd knows what it's like to face systemic discrimination from the "alt right conservatives".

Lol!! Their precious Sharia proponents will cast them off buildings and summarily execute the LGBT community.
    Last edited by guanoloco; 11th June 2017 at 04:41 AM.
    "Religion is free; Scientology is neither."

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever." - George Orwell, 1984

"L. Ron Hubbard is the cult leader for the crime that is Scientology." - Cleverbot

"And while we're at it I might as well toss this in for a good laugh. We were doing a lot of "research" on Rockslams at that time and one of the Hubbard thing's rockslamming items was...(oh you're going to love this)...'unlimited wealth'" - Mystic

12. Thanks WhatWall, WildKat says "thank you" for this post

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...gbt-activists/

Veteran gay rights activist Peter Tatchell has also entered the fray, tweeting his opposition to the march.

When confronted by fellow Twitter users who accused him of “defending the wrong people”, he reacted by tweeting his “delight” at having been “targeted” by “fascists”, as he said it showed he had “rattled the far right”.

Just a few weeks later Tatchell tweeted an appeal to help overturn the death penalty for homosexuality, which still exists in several countries.

The ten countries in which homosexuality is punishable by death are Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. In some cases, the laws apply only in regions of the country under Sharia law or are only applicable to Muslims.
    "Religion is free; Scientology is neither."

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever." - George Orwell, 1984

"L. Ron Hubbard is the cult leader for the crime that is Scientology." - Cleverbot

"And while we're at it I might as well toss this in for a good laugh. We were doing a lot of "research" on Rockslams at that time and one of the Hubbard thing's rockslamming items was...(oh you're going to love this)...'unlimited wealth'" - Mystic

14. Thanks Jump, WhatWall, Enthetan, WildKat says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by guanoloco View Post
    Veteran gay rights activist Peter Tatchell has also entered the fray, tweeting his opposition to the march.

When confronted by fellow Twitter users who accused him of “defending the wrong people”, he reacted by tweeting his “delight” at having been “targeted” by “fascists”, as he said it showed he had “rattled the far right”.

Just a few weeks later Tatchell tweeted an appeal to help overturn the death penalty for homosexuality, which still exists in several countries.

The ten countries in which homosexuality is punishable by death are Afghanistan, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. In some cases, the laws apply only in regions of the country under Sharia law or are only applicable to Muslims.
    Tatchell appears to be a "professional activist", whose work is supported by the Peter Tatchell Foundation. As such, he will likely advocate in favor of whatever results in money flowing into his foundation. Even if his resulting positions are mutually contradictory.

I would be curious if his foundation has been getting funding from Islamic groups.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    -Noam Chomsky

16. Thanks guanoloco, WhatWall says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron WhatWall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enthetan View Post
    Tatchell appears to be a "professional activist", whose work is supported by the Peter Tatchell Foundation. As such, he will likely advocate in favor of whatever results in money flowing into his foundation. Even if his resulting positions are mutually contradictory.

I would be curious if his foundation has been getting funding from Islamic groups.
    His foundation should send him on a speaking tour to the countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality. I'm sure they'd be very interested in what he has to say.
    “... and laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt.” Publius Cornelius Tacitus, Annals Book 3

18. LOL! JustSheila, Enthetan laughed at this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12