Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Scientology Member Marty Rathbun on the church's spying budget, more

Default Ex-Scientology Member Marty Rathbun on the church's spying budget, more

Ex-Scientology Member Marty Rathbun on the church's spying budget, the origins of auditing, and starting over at age 58.

Investigation Discovery Crime Feed - Exclusive: Ex-Scientologist Member Marty Rathbun on the church's spying budget, the origins of auditing, and starting over at age 58

http://crimefeed.com/2016/11/ex-scie...ont-want-know/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

November 26, 2016 by Crime Feed Staff

Scientology, especially its celebrity members and scandalous media coverage, fascinates many of us. Whether it’s L. Ron Hubbard’s alleged occult roots or high-profile members’ outlandish behavior (see Tom Cruise on Oprah), it can be difficult to understand why someone would join in the first place.

To help demystify the organization,Crime Feed spoke to former Scientologist, Marty Rathbun. Rathbun left the Church of Scientology in 2004 after being a member for 27 years. During his time as a member he rose through the ranks, eventually serving as Inspector General of the Religious Technology Center. Rathbun’s story can help us understand why people are drawn to Scientology, what makes leaving feel impossible and why criticisms of the church often get buried.

For more about Rathbun’s membership and break from the organization, watch Investigation Discovery’s “Dangerous Persuasions” with ID Go and check out our interview with him below:

[SNIP]

CF: I think everyone wonders about the Xenu mythology. What were your thoughts the first time you saw the Operating Thetan documents?

MR: To some degree I took it as parable or analogy and tried to glean the process underlying it. I don’t like to harp on this too much as it feeds Scientologists’ persecution complex. What they believe behind the four walls of their ‘churches’ is each individual’s prerogative. I am aware of nobody waking up from Scientology’s hold from people attacking their beliefs and mythologies. That is one reason I believe the ID piece might have more impact on current members; it is a straight ahead, factual narrative with no broadside against its beliefs and practices.

[SNIP]

CF: You and other senior members have left the organization. Do you notice a crumbling of the senior structure or are new members prepped to take over the minute someone steps down?

MR: It is the latter. The system breeds a continual replacement of top management with uneducated, inexperienced enthusiastic youth. It systematically weeds out people as they mature and begin to question. Thus, each generation seems progressively less educated, ill-informed and unsophisticated than the last one. That is why it functions like a Byzantine bureaucracy.

[SNIP]

CF: In addiction to recent television documentaries about Scientology, David Miscavige, the leader of the church, has been under scrutiny due to allegations that he was spending thousands to spy on his father. Do you think that’s an outrageous claim?

MR: I have estimated in the past that they were spending up to $25,000 a week on spying, stalking and harassment of me and my family. I think the media and FBI considered that too incredible to believe. Yet, the $10,000 dollar figure spent on Ron Miscavige [David’s father] comes from the private investigator who received the money; with no motivation to lie. So, I look at that new information as corroboration or validation of my original estimate of what they have spent attacking me and my family. They have been at it for more than six years. I invite you to do the math. Incidentally, if there were a way to revoke their tax exemption thoroughly investigating that magnitude of spending to spy and harass would be the only viable route.

[SNIP]

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

2. Thanks arcxcauseblows, Boson Wog Stark, Enthetan, Knows, scooter and 1 others says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron uncover's Avatar

Default Re: Ex-Scientology Member Marty Rathbun on the church's spying budget, more

Who is Marty Rathbun ?
    "Scientology & the FZ - where mental illness is celebrated as a win called OT." (C) 2013 by HelluvaHoax!

"To get involved in Scientology is a mistake any good person could make. But to stay involved for a lifetime requires sadism or some degree of masochism." (C) 2014 by HelluvaHoax!

4. LOL! Boomima, Lurker5, whoisxenu, Leland, lotus and 5 others laughed at this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron oneonewasaracecar's Avatar

Default Re: Ex-Scientology Member Marty Rathbun on the church's spying budget, more

The article is dated today, so I wonder when they did the actual interview.

I wasn't expecting to hear criticism from Marty after dropping the court case. Could this interview have been sitting on the shelf for a few months waiting for a slow period?

6. Thanks WildKat says "thank you" for this post
    Likes JustSheila, Boson Wog Stark liked this post
    Patron Meritorious

Quote Originally Posted by oneonewasaracecar View Post
    The article is dated today, so I wonder when they did the actual interview.

I wasn't expecting to hear criticism from Marty after dropping the court case. Could this interview have been sitting on the shelf for a few months waiting for a slow period?
    I have the same question. Marty's answer about Xenu sounds like it may have been done at the same time as the ID piece (two years ago), because his sentence (in blue) says "might have more impact" instead of "might have had more impact," but shelved until now. Later note: The comments under the story are two years old. This was an interview Marty gave two years ago.

[COLOR=#B30000 ! important]MR: To some degree I took it as parable or analogy and tried to glean the process underlying it.[/COLOR] I don’t like to harp on this too much as it feeds Scientologists’ persecution complex. What they believe behind the four walls of their ‘churches’ is each individual’s prerogative. I am aware of nobody waking up from Scientology’s hold from people attacking their beliefs and mythologies. That is one reason I believe the ID piece might have more impact on current members; it is a straight ahead, factual narrative with no broadside against its beliefs and practices.

About talk of Xenu feeding Scientologists' persecution complex sounds silly, unless he means that after waking up to how stupid the Xenu story is, Scientologists want to persecute themselves for falling for something that is so blatantly a fraud.

The locked briefcase, the expense of learning the big secret they must never talk about without risk of dire consequences for people who are not yet ready...come on Marty, it's a good example of how deeply Scientologists are controlled.

8. Thanks oneonewasaracecar, Little David says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron George Layton's Avatar

Marty is really the only one who has any say about scientologists, ex-scientologists and... well pretty much anyone .
    Each time I spot hypocrisy, it turns around and points at me.

10. Likes Hypatia liked this post
    LOL! Leland, Hypatia laughed at this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boson Wog Stark View Post
    I have the same question. Marty's answer about Xenu sounds like it may have been done at the same time as the ID piece (two years ago), because his sentence (in blue) says "might have more impact" instead of "might have had more impact," but shelved until now. Later note: The comments under the story are two years old. This was an interview Marty gave two years ago.

[COLOR=#B30000 ! important]MR: To some degree I took it as parable or analogy and tried to glean the process underlying it.[/COLOR] I don’t like to harp on this too much as it feeds Scientologists’ persecution complex. What they believe behind the four walls of their ‘churches’ is each individual’s prerogative. I am aware of nobody waking up from Scientology’s hold from people attacking their beliefs and mythologies. That is one reason I believe the ID piece might have more impact on current members; it is a straight ahead, factual narrative with no broadside against its beliefs and practices.

About talk of Xenu feeding Scientologists' persecution complex sounds silly, unless he means that after waking up to how stupid the Xenu story is, Scientologists want to persecute themselves for falling for something that is so blatantly a fraud.

The locked briefcase, the expense of learning the big secret they must never talk about without risk of dire consequences for people who are not yet ready...come on Marty, it's a good example of how deeply Scientologists are controlled.
    I don't get how the article can have today's date, with comments 2 years old. Can anyone explain?
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

12. Thanks Leland, JustSheila says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
    I don't get how the article can have today's date, with comments 2 years old. Can anyone explain?
    There is a date setting that automatically sets to "today's date." It was originally meant for letter writing software but wouldn't be hard to incorporate into a website. Here is how it is done in Word: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/inser...ord-54059.html
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

14. Thanks WildKat says "thank you" for this post

Pretty hard to reconcile that interview with Marty's posts since February. But then, methinks Marty enjoys being an enigma, which likely is a carry over from his days as IG. Even though it's been what, 12 years now since he's been out?

Looking forward to Leah Remini's show and reactions.

Silver Meritorious Patron Little David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skep View Post
    Pretty hard to reconcile that interview with Marty's posts since February. But then, methinks Marty enjoys being an enigma, which likely is a carry over from his days as IG. Even though it's been what, 12 years now since he's been out?

Looking forward to Leah Remini's show and reactions.
    See post#4.
    The lure of the pseudoscientific vocabulary and promises of dianetics cannot but condemn thousands who are beginning to emerge from scientific illiteracy to a continuation of their susceptibility to word-magic and semantic hash.

S.I. HAYAKAWA 1951

Gold Meritorious Patron oneonewasaracecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
    Time machine?

18. LOL! Enthetan, Leland, dchoiceisalwaysrs, JustSheila laughed at this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast