Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Newly Exiting

Gold Meritorious Patron

Default Re: Newly Exiting

Quote Originally Posted by clamicide View Post
    They will refuse the registered mail. It's one of the first things any receptionist in an org is taught. There's some policy about it that I remember being put onto almost every checksheet I did as a staff member (and I wasn't even in that department).
    You cannot refuse a writ (at least not in the UK), so that looks like the better option if you can afford it and you can find a solicitor willing to serve one. Also, I don't think the courts here would look kindly on a registered letter being refused. At this point though, I think you'd probably be better off talking to someone qualified in your particular legal jurisdiction, or to someone who has succeeded in getting their money back from the CofS (there are some on this board) and has experience of the shenanigans they might try to pull to avoid having to pay out.
    Last edited by Cat's Squirrel; 18th February 2017 at 07:31 AM.
    "Life constantly changes. Some of the changes we like, some we hate, but it keeps changing."

- Bo Lozoff

"Dream more, learn more, care more and be more.Ē

- Dolly Parton

2. Likes TheOriginalBigBlue liked this post

There is no need for a writ or legal fees if the amount being claimed is relatively minor. The small claims court can deal with it very easily.

I'm in the UK so I don't know about the US but over here I simply wrote a letter to my local org telling them I wanted my money back. They contacted me to say they would give it to me but asked me to wait because they didn't have it.

I agreed to wait but eventually I filed a claim with the small claims court and the CoS paid me on the day before the case was due.

No legal fees, just a small filing fee.

Note that this was over 10 years ago so I don't know if the legal forms the CoS has introduced lately make any difference to their repayment policies.

4. Thanks Enthetan, dchoiceisalwaysrs says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron TheOriginalBigBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat's Squirrel View Post
    You cannot refuse a writ (at least not in the UK), so that looks like the better option if you can afford it and you can find a solicitor willing to serve one. Also, I don't think the courts here would look kindly on a registered letter being refused. At this point though, I think you'd probably be better off talking to someone qualified in your particular legal jurisdiction, or to someone who has succeeded in getting their money back from the CofS (there are some on this board) and has experience of the shenanigans they might try to pull to avoid having to pay out.
    I think you make a good point here. I also remember there being either a policy or base order to the effect that certified/registered mail is not to be accepted. However, small claims courts want to see that normal attempts at communicating the complaint or request for refund have been made and if one party has demonstrated an unwillingness to cooperate it probably tends to work against them in the judge's decision.

I seem to recall that receptionists and security are also drilled on how to avoid receiving service or making it difficult for a processor to find the right person or place to give service. You can rack up fees every time a service is attempted and that may not be recoverable in a settlement.

6. Thanks Enthetan says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by clamicide View Post
    They will refuse the registered mail. It's one of the first things any receptionist in an org is taught. There's some policy about it that I remember being put onto almost every checksheet I did as a staff member (and I wasn't even in that department).
    That may have changed. From the "Re: Claims Verification Board Routing Form from the Church of Scientology" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Buckdog1 View Post
    BTW folks, 2 Revised policies follow this policy regarding Registered Mail, guess they forgot to add that to the CVB form, that allow Registered Mail: HCO POLICY LETTER OF 18 JANUARY 1980 (Amends HCO Policy Letter of 26 May 1965 and HCO Policy Letter of 11 June 1965) "registered Mail may be accepted in the United States. It is routed un-opened to the Assistant Guardian. As Registered Mail is delivered to the Org in the U.S., and as refusal of it has been a source of problems with the Postman at ASHO, and per the Postman's report, with the Post Office, with possible jeopardy to the Bulk Mail Permit in L.A., it may be accepted and routed as above."
    If you donít offend anyone, you also donít inspire anyone.

8. Thanks TheOriginalBigBlue, Dulloldfart says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron TheOriginalBigBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enthetan View Post
    Originally Posted by clamicide

That may have changed. From the "Re: Claims Verification Board Routing Form from the Church of Scientology" thread:

Originally Posted by Buckdog1
    BTW folks, 2 Revised policies follow this policy regarding Registered Mail, guess they forgot to add that to the CVB form, that allow Registered Mail: HCO POLICY LETTER OF 18 JANUARY 1980 (Amends HCO Policy Letter of 26 May 1965 and HCO Policy Letter of 11 June 1965) "registered Mail may be accepted in the United States. It is routed un-opened to the Assistant Guardian. As Registered Mail is delivered to the Org in the U.S., and as refusal of it has been a source of problems with the Postman at ASHO, and per the Postman's report, with the Post Office, with possible jeopardy to the Bulk Mail Permit in L.A., it may be accepted and routed as above."

Does anyone else find it curious that the Church would memorialize in an HCOPL that a bad PR situation was created with a specific postal carrier serving a specific org by an ill advised policy inspired by an overly litigious environment AND that the carrier was able to exert leverage over the Church simply by threatening the status of their bulk mail permit?

Why not just leave all that blah blah out and say "Registered mail can now be accepted"...end of story?

Whenever they get into the weeds in official docs like this it makes me think there is some serious behind the scenes CYA going on. They are like this with evals - pointing to completely miscellaneous incoherent BS like it is some super profound observation and then basing a whole program around it. Maybe in this case they just couldn't separate their obsessive compulsive data evaluator hat from their PR hat and Issue Authority just rubber stamped it as a little window into the dysfunctional collective hive mind.

10. Thanks Enthetan says "thank you" for this post
    LOL! Enthetan laughed at this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalBigBlue View Post
    I think you make a good point here. I also remember there being either a policy or base order to the effect that certified/registered mail is not to be accepted. However, small claims courts want to see that normal attempts at communicating the complaint or request for refund have been made and if one party has demonstrated an unwillingness to cooperate it probably tends to work against them in the judge's decision.

I seem to recall that receptionists and security are also drilled on how to avoid receiving service or making it difficult for a processor to find the right person or place to give service. You can rack up fees every time a service is attempted and that may not be recoverable in a settlement.
    This is true.
    phenomanon

12. Thanks TheOriginalBigBlue says "thank you" for this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456