Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW upcoming book - The Scientology Murders: A Dead Detective Novel

Default Re: NEW upcoming book - The Scientology Murders: A Dead Detective Novel

Early Reviewers: 15 Free advance copies of The Scientology Murders: A Dead Detective Novel, by Edgar Award winner William Heffernan.

Library Thing: http://www.librarything.com/er/list#19033475

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The Scientology Murders: A Dead Detective Novel by William Heffernan (Akashic Books)

Description: While investigating a murder that has also left his much-loved adoptive father seriously wounded, Harry Doyle, known to his peers as the Dead Detective, finds himself faced with what many consider the most powerful and secretive cult in the country—Scientology. Clearwater, Florida, is the spiritual center of Scientology, which is run by a fanatical group of true believers who insist that members remain pure and true to their beliefs. One senior leader has a young man in his employ, a twisted soul who will stop at nothing to make sure the rules are followed. But Harry Doyle, his partner Vicky Stanopolis, and Clearwater Sergeant Max Abrams are in hot pursuit, forcing the killer to run for cover.

The Scientologists have places to hide in every part of the globe, and Harry finds himself pursuing the killer to the far reaches of Alaska. In a shocking denouement where everyone’s life hangs in the balance, Harry and Vicky come face-to-face with death in a form they never expected.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

2. Thanks JustSheila says "thank you" for this post
    Likes JustSheila liked this post
    LOL! JustSheila laughed at this post

NOW AVAILABLE - The Scientology Murders: A Dead Detective Novel

https://www.amazon.com/Scientology-M...dp/1617755362/

4. Thanks Type4_PTS, JustSheila says "thank you" for this post

Oh this is absolutely hilarious!

William Heffernan is a well-established, best-selling mystery, crime and adventure writer, with close to 20 novels dealing with all sorts of subjects. He started as an investigative reporter for the New York Times. He's had several Pulitzer Prize nominations and has a long list of awards for his novels, including the Edgar award. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Heffernan

Good for him taking on Scientology for a crime story!

I'm sure the book is good, but I wonder how accurate it is and how much detail is in it and if it mirrors someone's actual story?

Guess I'll have to buy it and read it to find out!
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

6. Thanks dchoiceisalwaysrs says "thank you" for this post
    Likes WildKat, dchoiceisalwaysrs, Type4_PTS liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Murray Burns.
    phenomanon

8. Huh? WildKat didn't understand this post

Quote Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
    Don't you wish you’d asked the same about the life and works of L Ron Blowhard, years ago?
    Indeed.

So I picked this up at the library and finished it today. Honestly...not very good. It has little to do with Scientology. Just a few facts here and there. The book wouldn't really have been any difference without the Scientology angle. The characters are not really based on any known members, other than a small (sorry) swipe at TC. And they are just caricatures, even the good guys. There's a lot of what I call "false machismo" that just irritates me.

That being said, if you like Stuart Woods novels you might like this. I used to like Woods, but grew tired of them long ago.

Just one person's opinion!

11. Thanks tesseract, ThetanExterior says "thank you" for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12