Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancer and stress in Scientology

Default Cancer and stress in Scientology

I've been doing a little bit of looking, regarding why we have so many cancer deaths in Scientology, especially at the upper levels, and I felt like starting a fresh thread on it, to serve as a resource for Scientologists and ex-Scns coping with cancer and other chronic illnesses

From a National Institute of Health study
    Impact of stress on cancer metastasis

Abstract

The influence of psychosocial factors on the development and progression of cancer has been a longstanding hypothesis since ancient times. In fact, epidemiological and clinical studies over the past 30 years have provided strong evidence for links between chronic stress, depression and social isolation and cancer progression. By contrast, there is only limited evidence for the role of these behavioral factors in cancer initiation. Recent cellular and molecular studies have identified specific signaling pathways that impact cancer growth and metastasis. This article provides an overview of the relationship between psychosocial factors, specifically chronic stress, and cancer progression.

The major cause of death from cancer is metastasis that is resistant to conventional therapy [1]. Primary neoplasms are biologically heterogeneous and the process of metastasis consists of a series of sequential and selective steps that few cells can successfully complete. The outcome of cancer metastasis depends on multiple interactions between metastatic cells and homeostatic mechanisms that are unique to a given organ micro environment [2]. Therefore, the treatment of metastasis should be targeted not only against cancer cells, but also against the host factors that contribute to and support the progressive growth and survival of metastatic cancer cells. Clinical and epidemiological studies over the last 30 years have identified psychosocial factors including stress, chronic depression and lack of social support as risk factors for cancer progression [3-6]. Whereas evidence for the role of psychosocial factors in cancer initiation is limited and some-what contradictory [7-10], support is stronger for links between psychological factors such as stress, depression and social isolation and disease progression [11,12]. Chronicity of negative affect, as manifested by depressed mood or hopelessness, appears to have stronger relationships with outcomes than do stressful events, suggesting that sustained activation of negative affective pathways may provide the strongest links to cancer progression [13-16]. Moderators of stress, such as social support, have been frequently studied with respect to cancer outcomes. Social support refers to an individualís perceived satisfaction with social relationships and is thought to play a major role in buffering psychological and biological stress responses [17]. Several studies have linked high levels of social support to improved clinical outcomes in cancer patients. For example, in breast cancer patients, social support has been related to longer survival in several large-scale studies [18-20], although negative findings were noted in some studies [21-23]. Collectively, emerging evidence has shown stress and specific psychosocial factors to be associated with key elements of the metastatic cascade in both animal and human models. In this article, we review the biological processes affected by chronic stress and the related pathways and discuss implications for cancer management.
    What happens to Scientologists, particularly in the upper OT levels?

They are under a lot of stress, and their social support networks are crippled.

Let's examine each of those two factors:

Stress: People on the OT levels are under constant pressure to come up with fresh money. OT eligibility and preps takes longer than the tech estimate. They have an "ethics sit" which can be handled with a generous contribution to IAS. They are ordered to sec checking at their own expense. They are ordered to get the next level paid for so that they can do an uninterrupted sequence and don't have to pay for more OT eligibility/preps if the leave and return. They have to take out loans and liquidate their retirement plans and mortgage their homes. It all creates lots of stress.

Social support networks are crippled: What is your social support network? It's the set of people with whom you feel safe talking about the problems in your life. Scientologists don't have that. They are not allowed to talk about their case. They are not allowed to express doubts or anger regarding Scientology. They can't even talk to their spouses, who are required to submit Knowledge Reports about any hint of "entheta" or disaffection. The net result is the Scientologist feels increasingly isolated, with nobody they can totally trust, nobody they can tell anything to and feel confident that it won't get back to the Ethics Officer, whether through a KR or from it coming up in a sec check. An upper level scientologist has no social support network.

The end result is that a Scientologist is much more likely than the average person to have reduced immunity and higher vulnerability to cancer.
    If you donít offend anyone, you also donít inspire anyone.

2. Thanks Leland, tesseract, EZ Linus, AngeloV, Lord Xenu and 4 others says "thank you" for this post
    Patron with Honors

Default Re: Cancer and stress in Scientology

What a good thread for newly outers that have left the building - to read and discuss with some of the ole timers that know a lot more of what Scientological horrors stories peppering the internet daily.

Thanks for this thread.

I saw a heap ton of people get sick and die in Scientology. Such a minuscule group and so many DEATHS.

Young and healthy adults - dropped dead like flies.

A few suicides too and that the Co$ hid any details whilst they sprayed some rumor about how the person was a DB / Criminal / No Case Gain SP or they said "they say the internet" and they may have ...except they killed themselves because they could not handle the fact they were lied to, duped and betrayed beyond belief.

4. Thanks tesseract, EZ Linus, Lord Xenu, WildKat, Enthetan and 1 others says "thank you" for this post

Great thread.

Stress, also connected to hypertension which causes heart attacks and strokes, and all sorts of other shit -- as well as auto immune disorders like multiple sclerosis and lupus. I know at least one exScnist who has all three of those things.

6. Thanks Enthetan, tesseract, Lord Xenu, Out/Int says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Strokes and also dementia as well. And I'm sure the stress and loss of social network exacerbates those conditions as well. Not to mention the feeling of total failure, that these things should not be happening to such "able beings".

It's pretty sad.
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

8. Thanks Enthetan, tesseract, Lord Xenu, Out/Int says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Leland liked this post
    Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
    Strokes and also dementia as well. And I'm sure the stress and loss of social network exacerbates those conditions as well. Not to mention the feeling of total failure, that these things should not be happening to such "able beings".

It's pretty sad.
    Most of the Scientologists in that meat grinding staff positions are at "total failure" and "being nothing" while they wax on smiles for the public.

They are poor, broke and grinding away at draining the last dime they can out of their own kids and parents.

Sickening

All for nothing!

10. Thanks Leland, tesseract, WildKat, Lord Xenu says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Out/Int View Post
    Most of the Scientologists in that meat grinding staff positions are at "total failure" and "being nothing" while they wax on smiles for the public.

They are poor, broke and grinding away at draining the last dime they can out of their own kids and parents.

Sickening

All for nothing!
    I've been staff, Sea Org, and public. Personally, I've seen more stress as public.

On staff and SO, I tended to go numb. It was a daily grind, I was poor, I needed sleep, but after a while I stopped caring. When you don't have any more caring left inside you, there is no more stress.

12. Thanks Leland, Out/Int, tesseract, EZ Linus, WildKat says "thank you" for this post

Mayo Clinic: Chronic stress puts your health at risk

Your body is hard-wired to react to stress in ways meant to protect you against threats from predators and other aggressors. Such threats are rare today, but that doesn't mean that life is free of stress.

On the contrary, you undoubtedly face multiple demands each day, such as shouldering a huge workload, making ends meet and taking care of your family. Your body treats these so-called minor hassles as threats. As a result you may feel as if you're constantly under assault. But you can fight back. You don't have to let stress control your life.

Understanding the natural stress response

When you encounter a perceived threat ó a large dog barks at you during your morning walk, for instance ó your hypothalamus, a tiny region at the base of your brain, sets off an alarm system in your body. Through a combination of nerve and hormonal signals, this system prompts your adrenal glands, located atop your kidneys, to release a surge of hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol.

Adrenaline increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure and boosts energy supplies. Cortisol, the primary stress hormone, increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream, enhances your brain's use of glucose and increases the availability of substances that repair tissues.

Cortisol also curbs functions that would be nonessential or detrimental in a fight-or-flight situation. It alters immune system responses and suppresses the digestive system, the reproductive system and growth processes. This complex natural alarm system also communicates with regions of your brain that control mood, motivation and fear.
    When the natural stress response goes haywire

The body's stress-response system is usually self-limiting. Once a perceived threat has passed, hormone levels return to normal. As adrenaline and cortisol levels drop, your heart rate and blood pressure return to baseline levels, and other systems resume their regular activities.

But when stressors are always present and you constantly feel under attack, that fight-or-flight reaction stays turned on.

The long-term activation of the stress-response system ó and the subsequent overexposure to cortisol and other stress hormones ó can disrupt almost all your body's processes. This puts you at increased risk of numerous health problems, including:

Anxiety
    Depression
    Digestive problems
    Headaches
    Heart disease
    Sleep problems
    Weight gain
    Memory and concentration impairment

That's why it's so important to learn healthy ways to cope with the stressors in your life.
    (more at the link)

There are many Scientologists who live in a chronic state of stress. It's not good for your health to be at "Red Alert!" much of the time. As the article notes, at "red alert", your body flows its energy to those systems which are important to "fight or run" response. Energy gets taken away from your body's immune system (which makes sense in a situation when you suddenly find yourself facing a hungry wolf -- fighting off germs and cancer cells can wait until you have fought off the immediate threat).

But, keep the stress response going too long, and bad things start happening with your body.

14. Thanks Out/Int, tesseract, EZ Linus says "thank you" for this post
    Likes programmer_guy liked this post

And add to the top of all these factors quite a lot of tobacco and almost no medical care (either by "choice" or lack of money) and voilŗ...

Irayam
    Stable exterior to scientology with full perceptions on its real nature.

He said you might not believe this, little fella
    But it'll cure your asthma too

And I said look here brother
    Who you jiving with that cosmik debris?
    Now what kind of a guru are you, anyway?
    Look here brother, don't waste your time on me
    (Don't waste your time)

Read more: Frank Zappa - Cosmik Debris Lyrics | MetroLyrics

16. Thanks Leland, Out/Int, tesseract, EZ Linus says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Ogsonofgroo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Irayam View Post
    And add to the top of all these factors quite a lot of tobacco and almost no medical care (either by "choice" or lack of money) and voilŗ...

Irayam
    Yep, both important factors.

Let's not forget dental care under the category of "medical care". Bad teeth can introduce infection into the rest of the body.

There is a great deal of importance to having yearly health checkups, which include comprehensive blood tests to check for blood sugar levels, cholesterol, and indications of cancer. Scientologists often don't do that, or go to a chiropractor or herbalist, or such.

Last year I had my yearly checkup. As part of it, they did an EKG test. When the doc looked at it, she told me to report to the hospital emergency room for more tests. If she hadn't caught that there was a situation there, I might be dead now.

18. Thanks anonynon, Leland, AngeloV, Out/Int, tesseract and 1 others says "thank you" for this post
    Likes WildKat, tesseract liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enthetan View Post
    Last year I had my yearly checkup. As part of it, they did an EKG test. When the doc looked at it, she told me to report to the hospital emergency room for more tests. If she hadn't caught that there was a situation there, I might be dead now.
    Is EKG standard testing for your age group? Anyway, glad they did it and caught the condition. Thinking of asking for one of those myself. Had a routine check-up last year and they did not do it. Only recommended colonoscopy.
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

20. Thanks Enthetan says "thank you" for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast