Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: a photo of Carl Barney from the 60s or 70s.

Default WANTED: a photo of Carl Barney from the 60s or 70s.

Carl Barney owned one Mission in San Diego and four in the Los Angeles area until he was declared SP in 1979. If you have a photo of him from that time I’d dearly love to see it.

It might help expose one of the biggest intellectual frauds ever.

Patron Meritorious

Default Re: WANTED: a photo of Carl Barney from the 60s or 70s.

Do you have a bit of a timeline of where he was and when?

I'd probably try to find someone with copies of the local magazines (of that time) that missions and orgs put out monthly.
    Also 'Center' magazine which was the Mission Network's mag.
    There's probably a photo of him someplace in one of those issues, specially if he was a big honcho.

Did he do services at AOLA, ASHO or Flag?

In part of 1971, at least, he was on the Apollo captained by LRH.

Throughout the 70s he ran five Missions, one in San Diego and four in the Los Angeles area: Pasadena, Burbank, Santa Barbara, and the Valley. (According one ex-scit he was head of the San Diego mission in the late 60s.)

Hope that helps.

Patron Meritorious

There doesn't seem to be a ton on a regular Google search but, if you go to Google groups https://groups.google.com and do a search for "carl barney" scientology there are a bunch of very interesting leads and history.

Gold Meritorious Patron

this might help

http://alley.ethercat.com/cgi-bin/door/door.cgi?7

excerpt ****

6. Were you staff or public? If staff, was it at a mission or an org? Were you ever in the Sea Org or OSA? Which unit? If not on staff, did you ever volunteer to 'help out'?
    I was staff. My first post was at Scientology Coordinated Services (SCS) Management Center (Carl Barney's missions) 1978-1979. After his missions were put into receivership by Mission Office Worldwide (MOWW), I was transferred to the Santa Barbara Mission. I left staff in 1981. In 1985, I rejoined staff as the Treasury Secretary at Valley Org (in Sherman Oaks, California, suburb of Los Angeles)

http://www.xenu.net/archive/personal...cheryl02a.html

excerpt

Before I finished this course, I joined staff at SCS Management Center in Burbank. Someone I knew at the Pasadena Dianetics Center was on staff there and she recruited me, using very strong affinity flows. It is hard to say no to someone who seems to like you so much. You begin to believe that they really are doing things out of a selfless interest in you. It was much later that I finally realized the truth. You cannot leave post without a replacement. And Isela Munoz very much wanted off staff. Enough to misrepresent staff life to me to induce me to join.

SCS Management Center is where the four missions had their centralized administration: accounting, printing, marketing, management, computer center, etc. I became the receptionist/ typist. This is where I met my future husband, Steve.

Carl Barney was the missionholder--the franchise owner of the four missions: His top executives were: Ike Kezsbom, Technical Manager; Mike Scheer, Operations Manager; Ed Marsh, Marketing Manager; Jerry Watson, Attorney; Liz Sabine, Public Relations, Pam Novath, Treasury Secretary; Richard Scott, Director of Records, Assets & Materiels; Cris Criswell, Personnel Manager; and Steve Sola, Advertising Manager. Terrie Arnold was Carl's "communicator" (assistant, secretary, gopher, etc.). Arleen Valentin (later Dawson) was Ed's communicator (she died sometime in or around the time she was getting NOTs auditing, I believe). Scott Jacob's was Ike's communicator. Scotty was great. He was the epitome of what was good in Scientology. Everyone liked Scotty. Arlene Rich was Cris's communicator. I was the receptionist/typist. There were also two computer programmers. Dave Joseph, was the printer and Steve Van Stone was the financial consultant. This was the "Management Center" for Scientology Coordinated Services ("SCS").

ibid

Just prior to the DCSI auditing, crazy things were happening at SCS. We were told that Carl Barney had been trying to operate independent of the mother church (Mission Office World Wide in England or colloquially known as "MOWW" ) and one day MOWW put the four missions (SCS collectively) into receivership because allegedly Carl Barney had been playing games with the non-profit corporation by doing unlawful things such as having the non-profit corporation pay for his Lincoln Town Car, a cabin at Big Bear, and his pension, using NAC as a money pool for loans, and such.

Kingsley Wimbush (Mission Holder of the Stevens Creek Mission, later to be declared a suppressive person or "SP" and expelled from the church during the purge of 1982) headed a team sent in to "sort SCS out." It resembled the Gestapo moving in and taking over. All the staff was ordered to do intensive studying of L. Ron Hubbard ("LRH") policies and it took an incredibly long time to finish. We were watched as if we were prisoners. And we were not allowed to leave until they said we could. It was frightening. I tried to leave but they would not let me. I was forced to endure extremely long hours of studying Hubbard's tedious policies, even while sick.

ibid

The Santa Barbara Mission was a very old, decrepit hotel at 20 W. De La Guerra Street, just off of State Street. The front portion of the building was used for courses and counseling. In the back part hotel rooms were rented out to staff and public. Steve and I lived in one room, shared a bathroom with our neighbor, and had to endure sharing a cockroach-infested community kitchen with everyone. I hated it there.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I realize that has no photo but it might help someone follow into finding a photo.

6. Likes cakemaker liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron

A little more
    I see we have Howard Dickman here. How about it Howard? Any idea where we can get some photos?

excerpt from https://wikipedia-sucks-bad.blogspot...-missions.html Lol at the critics comment... hey that is life...opinions we all have them.....

As far as we can tell the first Scientology Mission in San Diego was at 1052 10th Avenue, in a single-story building that has since been demolished (it's now a parking lot.) This Mission was part of a series of Missions run by a man named Carl Barney in Los Angeles; the four LA Missions were allegedly incorporated as the "Church of Scientology of Los Angeles" and all five were called Scientology Coordinated Services. In order to keep ordinary people coming in (prices were rising in the 1970s), Barney ran this odd usury scam involving a front corporation called the Nationwide Acceptance Company, which would defray costs through loans to the public members. Barney was found out by the "mother church" in 1979 and was forced to sign over his Missions and declared a Suppressive Person (an antisocial person wrecking Scientology), and kicked out. It is unknown if Carl Barney founded the San Diego Mission or bought it out, and we do not know when it was founded. A former staff member, Howard Dickman wrote about his involvement in Scientology, which lasted from 1972 to 1977; according to him, Scientology grew so fast in San Diego that by 1973 they had moved around the corner to 926 C Street (property has also since been demolished.)

Gold Meritorious Patron

A little more
    I see we have Howard Dickman here. How about it Howard? Any idea where we can get some photos?

excerpt from https://wikipedia-sucks-bad.blogspot...-missions.html Lol at the critics comment... hey that is life...opinions we all have them.....

As far as we can tell the first Scientology Mission in San Diego was at 1052 10th Avenue, in a single-story building that has since been demolished (it's now a parking lot.) This Mission was part of a series of Missions run by a man named Carl Barney in Los Angeles; the four LA Missions were allegedly incorporated as the "Church of Scientology of Los Angeles" and all five were called Scientology Coordinated Services. In order to keep ordinary people coming in (prices were rising in the 1970s), Barney ran this odd usury scam involving a front corporation called the Nationwide Acceptance Company, which would defray costs through loans to the public members. Barney was found out by the "mother church" in 1979 and was forced to sign over his Missions and declared a Suppressive Person (an antisocial person wrecking Scientology), and kicked out. It is unknown if Carl Barney founded the San Diego Mission or bought it out, and we do not know when it was founded. A former staff member, Howard Dickman wrote about his involvement in Scientology, which lasted from 1972 to 1977; according to him, Scientology grew so fast in San Diego that by 1973 they had moved around the corner to 926 C Street (property has also since been demolished.)

Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by dchoiceisalwaysrs View Post
    A little more

I have been working with the lawyer on this case and have given him everything that I knew or could dig up. I was only at two staff meetings in 1972, where Mr. Barney attended. In 1973 his mission and the Church of Scientology of La Jolla merged becoming the Church of Scientology of San Diego. I lost track of what he and his missions did after that.

Before being contacted about this case I didn't even know Mr. Barney was still alive!

This is a valid case and anything anyone could do would be of much help. Please spread the word.

Howard Dickman

10. Thanks dchoiceisalwaysrs, Little David says "thank you" for this post
    Likes dchoiceisalwaysrs liked this post
    Patron Meritorious

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoMember View Post
    I have been working with the lawyer on this case and have given him everything that I knew or could dig up. I was only at two staff meetings in 1972, where Mr. Barney attended. In 1973 his mission and the Church of Scientology of La Jolla merged becoming the Church of Scientology of San Diego. I lost track of what he and his missions did after that.

Before being contacted about this case I didn't even know Mr. Barney was still alive!

This is a valid case and anything anyone could do would be of much help. Please spread the word.

Howard Dickman
    Hi Howard,

Did you check out the photos on the other thread about this case?

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...-Scientologist

Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by cakemaker View Post
    Hi Howard,

Did you check out the photos on the other thread about this case?

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...-Scientologist
    Just did,thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast