Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: How people get "cemented in" to Scientology

Default Re: How people get "cemented in" to Scientology

Quote Originally Posted by tesseract View Post
    And from another thread:

Yes, it is a bit mysterious, isn't it? I would like to understand why some Indies are frequently engaging in discussions (and flame wars) on such boards and blogs, possible financial reasons aside. (In any case, I wouldn't want them to be banned just for being Indies.) "Loving the controversy" and avid discussions or some such explanation will be a factor, but it doesn't quite explain it completely for me, not in all cases. The way in which some Hubbard supporters are engaging with exes/critics, has a maniacal note.

One possible, partial explanation is that for some people - all of us know enough Scientology troll stories - spending the day "handling" critics amounts to "handling" their own doubts and cognitive dissonance ... lest they bubble up to the surface. If it is a habit or compulsion, then it must have been created somehow.It might be a compulsive reaction to suppressed doubts and contradictory thoughts and impulses.

There might be the vague urge to "do something about doubts" ... but to confront one's own doubts would be tantamount to acknowledging their existence, and a cultist (or more general, any fanatic) cannot afford this. As a consequence, one compulsively resorts to attempting to "handle" the doubts, criticism and inconvenient truths of others...
    Just a little theory.

Of course such projecting behavior also occurs in non-Scientologists and never-ins, but this also is something people actually learn and adopt as a habit in CoS - and in other high-control groups. No matter on which level they were, Scientology begins fairly early to tell one how to "handle" and "confront" and deflect or even systematically sabotage and drown out criticism, doubts, inconvenient questions. The extreme, ofcourse, is a "professional" OSA operative - who might also be someone who has to do "amendments" - doing this under high pressure the whole day.
    (Bold mine)

Cool post! Great theory.

Yes, it's quite strange. Alcoholics and drug addicts don't troll AA and NA sites with anonymous ID after ID to post vicious ad homs, attacks and criticisms, nor do they start and maintain daily blogs bashing at individuals in support groups that contradict their addictions. It seems to me that addicts couldn't care less, so it's not a general addictive response.

I used to think it was mainly OSA folks trying to disrupt things. That accounts for some, but not the rest - the Indies, FZers and 'I'm out but not really out because I'm still in' cult diehards that seem to come here for no other purpose than to spout venomous general accusations and denigrate the cult survivors.

Some FZers, like Terril, are upfront about why they are here and make an effort to be polite. Discussions of scn go in circles of course, but folks like Terril aren't mean-spirited and a lot of FZ members on ESMB are pretty sweet. Even 'OldAuditor' wasn't too bad overall, though some of his last posts were so condescending to exscn members that he caught some kickback. A practicing scn posting to exscn members about his concept of personal superiority is obviously not going to go over very well here. I can't even imagine an alcoholic boasting about his superiority as a drunk to members of an AA site, that's how weird it is. And yet we try our best to be nice to the mean ones who start up out of nowhere raging at us, anyway.

Getting back to your theory, yes, I think it is some sort of knee-jerk, trained in reaction that some deeply indoctrinated Scientologists have, like a sort of Pavlovian response. Maybe when something about scn doesn't meet their lofty expectations, exscns become their "why." It's like scraping your car on a curb and then blaming the shopping center for putting it there. It doesn't have to make any sense - it's Scientology.
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

2. Thanks tesseract says "thank you" for this post
    Likes WildKat liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSheila View Post
    (Bold mine)

Cool post! Great theory.

Yes, it's quite strange. Alcoholics and drug addicts don't troll AA and NA sites with anonymous ID after ID to post vicious ad homs, attacks and criticisms, nor do they start and maintain daily blogs bashing at individuals in support groups that contradict their addictions. It seems to me that addicts couldn't care less, so it's not a general addictive response.

I used to think it was mainly OSA folks trying to disrupt things. That accounts for some, but not the rest - the Indies, FZers and 'I'm out but not really out because I'm still in' cult diehards that seem to come here for no other purpose than to spout venomous general accusations and denigrate the cult survivors.

Some FZers, like Terril, are upfront about why they are here and make an effort to be polite. Discussions of scn go in circles of course, but folks like Terril aren't mean-spirited and a lot of FZ members on ESMB are pretty sweet. Even 'OldAuditor' wasn't too bad overall, though some of his last posts were so condescending to exscn members that he caught some kickback. A practicing scn posting to exscn members about his concept of personal superiority is obviously not going to go over very well here. I can't even imagine an alcoholic boasting about his superiority as a drunk to members of an AA site, that's how weird it is. And yet we try our best to be nice to the mean ones who start up out of nowhere raging at us, anyway.

Getting back to your theory, yes, I think it is some sort of knee-jerk, trained in reaction that some deeply indoctrinated Scientologists have, like a sort of Pavlovian response. Maybe when something about scn doesn't meet their lofty expectations, exscns become their "why." It's like scraping your car on a curb and then blaming the shopping center for putting it there. It doesn't have to make any sense - it's Scientology.
    Totally agree! Also, thank you, regarding your comments about Terrill. I don't agree (usually) with what he says, but I have never seen him be obnoxious, and so I don't mind his contributions to ESMB. Even if the discussions go in circles, I think it is helpful for people questioning their participation in Scn to see all arguments, and whether they make any sense or not. In other words, it's all good, unless/until it gets abusive.

Here's part of a post I made elsewhere saying much the same thing.....

...... If someone wants to audit in the Freezone, minus abuses of the official "church" then have at it.

I really wish you well......

Oh, and here's the link again to Feral's story.
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...ridge-to-OTVII
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

4. Thanks JustSheila says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Free to shine, JustSheila liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post

This FZ Opinion leader - as with (too) many other FZ opinion leaders - is either a nut, dull witted, or a con man. In this case, he appears to be a combination of all three.

He's obviously prevaricating about his "OT abilities" and super high IQ, etc. He wants to impress potential customers.
    [INDENT]

This is the dilemma that was presented when - on another thread - I asked, "What (Independent) auditor to call on the phone," when trying to extricate a corporate Scientologist, and seeking to show him - through a phone call - that not all people auditing outside the Organization are evil "SPs."

But, again, who to call?

Trey Lotz was suggested and, perhaps, he's the best of the bunch.

But the non "nut," non "dull witted," and non "con men" are few and far between.

It's one of the great dilemmas of Scientology - inside and out of the organization - that its veteran auditors ( and "OTs") do not display characteristics of "OT enlightenment." Too often, they are their worst advertising.

Where's the list of FZ Auditors? I wanna see who I would recommend.
    phenomanon

Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gib View Post
    just responding to this snip that you wrote, that is one of the things I realized when I researched scientology for real and also really looked at all the OT's I know in real life, and there are about 20 of them, from the 1980's coming forward. None have any OT enlightenment, it was a real shocker to me, being a mid grade chart PC, or non "clear" achieved status.

All these OT's I know have the same problems as mere wogs, except the OT's are still figuring out how to make more money because they spent it all going up the bridge. What a trap and endless loop.
    I'm very glad that I don't number among that bunch of OTs that you know.
    phenomanon

Quote Originally Posted by phenomanon View Post
    I'm very glad that I don't number among that bunch of OTs that you know.
    and you should be, the stories I could tell, ruined lives, careers, opportunity lost, all because of chasing a bridge to total freedom. Not all, but most.

Quote Originally Posted by phenomanon View Post
    Where's the list of FZ Auditors? I wanna see who I would recommend.
    This is probably the best one. Its not fully up to date as
    for example Roy Selby has passed on.

http://www.freeandable.com/business-...-auditors.html

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415