Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Silly SO Memory: Exec vs. Child's Wristwatch

Default Re: Silly SO Memory: Exec vs. Child's Wristwatch

Quote Originally Posted by katzen View Post
    Thanks!

At least at the time and location I was in the SO, I can safely say that most minors still behaved like kids when they had a chance. Even my fancy friends who held important posts and were eventually part of better orgs participated in activities that I would say are normal for young people but are just completely "NOT OKAY" in the SO. No matter how much you want to clear the planet, ultimately kids are kids. I probably would have stuck around had I been allowed some outlet to be a kid that wasn't out ethics.
    Bold mine.

Katzen, I think you've made an excellent point here, but different times and places were different and SO kids behaved differently. In the late 70s and early 80s, the older kids had little to no supervision and many reported a lot of free sex between them, missing school, fighting and bullying between them, but for whatever reason, property destruction was rarely a part of their acting out. When it was, those unfortunate children who were so unhappy they went on destructive binges were dealt with so severely and cruelly that they were completely cut off from the SO, family and friends. I think of poor Serge Obolensky, who was kicked to the streets and cut off from his family when only a minor, and disabled as well! He was Declared SP for making bombs in garbage cans at PAC base and lived on the streets of LA for many years. Karen De LaCarriere and a number of others, including some dedicated never-ins, arranged his housing, counseling and put his life back together for him just a few years ago.

Blowing up pipes by stuffing them up is a bit more serious than ''just a big mess." It can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage to floors, walls and plumbing systems., I'm not going to brush it off as "kids will be kids" and you shouldn't, either, but that doesn't mean you should be burdened with guilt over it after all these years, either. You were a child acting out. You were NOT a "thetan in a little body" or any of that nonsense. You did not have the parental guidance, supervision or stable home life you should have had. You did not have an adult perspective, adult experience, or adult wisdom. You were unhappy and crying out for help. I am so sorry you didn't get the right kind of help as a child when you needed it.

It seems to me when a child becomes destructive, it is an urgent cry for help. Shame on your parents for not giving you that when you needed it and giving permission for you to join the destructive, abusive cult of Scientology and leaving you there to fend for yourself. I hope your family circumstances have changed for the better since then.

Note To Other ESMB Members: There were recent reports of bomb threats to the Church of Scientology. Please be careful of comments on this thread that might be misinterpreted as supportive of property destruction to COS.
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

2. Thanks Enthetan says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katzen View Post
    It really just makes a mess... If even that. Probably more like it's slightly annoying or weird to find. I'm trying to imagine a life wherein a big tampon full of water in a sink at a school or a cult is this terrible.
    We made a habit of checking every telephone pay slot we came across in case there was a wad of cotton blocking it. Sometimes there was, and some coins would fall out into our criminal hands. Payday!
    phenomanon

4. LOL! Enthetan, Operating DB laughed at this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSheila View Post
    Bold mine.

Katzen, I think you've made an excellent point here, but different times and places were different and SO kids behaved differently. In the late 70s and early 80s, the older kids had little to no supervision and many reported a lot of free sex between them, missing school, fighting and bullying between them, but for whatever reason, property destruction was rarely a part of their acting out. When it was, those unfortunate children who were so unhappy they went on destructive binges were dealt with so severely and cruelly that they were completely cut off from the SO, family and friends. I think of poor Serge Obolensky, who was kicked to the streets and cut off from his family when only a minor, and disabled as well! He was Declared SP for making bombs in garbage cans at PAC base and lived on the streets of LA for many years. Karen De LaCarriere and a number of others, including some dedicated never-ins, arranged his housing, counseling and put his life back together for him just a few years ago.

Blowing up pipes by stuffing them up is a bit more serious than ''just a big mess." It can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage to floors, walls and plumbing systems., I'm not going to brush it off as "kids will be kids" and you shouldn't, either, but that doesn't mean you should be burdened with guilt over it after all these years, either. You were a child acting out. You were NOT a "thetan in a little body" or any of that nonsense. You did not have the parental guidance, supervision or stable home life you should have had. You did not have an adult perspective, adult experience, or adult wisdom. You were unhappy and crying out for help. I am so sorry you didn't get the right kind of help as a child when you needed it.

It seems to me when a child becomes destructive, it is an urgent cry for help. Shame on your parents for not giving you that when you needed it and giving permission for you to join the destructive, abusive cult of Scientology and leaving you there to fend for yourself. I hope your family circumstances have changed for the better since then.

Note To Other ESMB Members: There were recent reports of bomb threats to the Church of Scientology. Please be careful of comments on this thread that might be misinterpreted as supportive of property destruction to COS.

when my children were born
    in the early 50's, we had not even heard of "acting out".
    My 2nd born was "lactose intolerant" as an infant, and cried all the time because milk upset her system. " Lactose intolerant" is a term and a condition which was not known about then, so poor baby grew up drinking OJ.
    There are a whole world of facts that are common knowledge these days that we in the 50s had no clue of, and Parents did the best they could with what they knew. "If I knew then what I know now" is a cliche that fits here.
    phenomanon

6. Likes dchoiceisalwaysrs, JustSheila liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by phenomanon View Post
    when my children were born
    in the early 50's, we had not even heard of "acting out".
    My 2nd born was "lactose intolerant" as an infant, and cried all the time because milk upset her system. " Lactose intolerant" is a term and a condition which was not known about then, so poor baby grew up drinking OJ.
    There are a whole world of facts that are common knowledge these days that we in the 50s had no clue of, and Parents did the best they could with what they knew. "If I knew then what I know now" is a cliche that fits here.

Pheno, am I correct to assume that your generation was when Dr. Spock was the big authority on raising kids? You might find this (controversial) link interesting, "How Dr. Spock Destroyed America":

http://www.wnd.com/2009/01/87179/

My father's parents were rural Polish immigrants (certainly much older than you). My father was raised differently than the American way we were. My grandparents believed in "spare the rod and spoil the child" but corporal punishment (the woodshed) was extremely rare, too - surprisingly, much more rare than my own father of the next generation.

My grandfather was far more tolerant in many ways. He and my Nana may not have had a term for ''acting out," but they understood it with a certain humor and tolerance and often corrected my own parents when they did not. Somewhere, they drew a line between acting out and outright destructiveness and rebellion so that love, discipline, respect and tolerance were in a healthy balance, despite the rare occasional woodshed.

I wish I knew more about their parenting techniques, but I was young when they died. One key difference I remember is my grandparents tried to include children in almost everything, whereas my parents tended to separate the children to play separately and keep separate company from adults. In some ways, their parenting approaches were nearly opposite.

For a long time I had the wrong idea that my grandparents were more physical and strict than my own parents, but I was wrong. I also had the idea that each generation becomes better parents than the last but I was wrong about that, too. It's not necessarily true, though it could be. My grandparents didn't know anything about ''lactose intolerant," but they knew as farmers that babies tolerated goats' milk better than cows' milk, for example.

There is wisdom in every culture and generation.
    Last edited by JustSheila; 3rd April 2017 at 05:57 PM.
    "Looking back on it I think I got these gains only because the processing made me self reflect and try to repair the damage done by it. So I made gains in spite of Scientology not because of it. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."

- Cleared Cannibal

8. Thanks Enthetan says "thank you" for this post
    Likes johnAnchovie, dchoiceisalwaysrs liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234