Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: We went to the London CofS to buy books - what happened & a few questions

Gold Meritorious Patron phenomanon's Avatar

Default Re: We went to the London CofS to buy books - what happened & a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalBigBlue View Post
    Very impressive. This and several prior posts. I would like to see more students and amateur reporters cultivate such a comprehensive grasp of the subject.

I'd just add that there may be too much emphasis here on the exploitation of a "Ruin" or problem by any other name. People can be way out in front of this in terms of wanting to help others, change the world, seek enlightenment, etc. In other words people can be motivated by a desire to get away from something or to go toward it. Scientology positions itself to exploit both and both allow for the dismissal of critical thinking.
    Yes.
    phenomanon

Default Re: We went to the London CofS to buy books - what happened & a few questions

[QUOTE=Swundel;1142223]Genetics and evolutionary biology are indeed cool subjects. I've written computer programmes that simulate the process, too.

I'm the kind of person with a thousand projects and a million interests. Scientology just happens to be one of them.

My family has a lot of theological background, so religions naturally interest me. Not being religious myself, I always find it incredibly amusing when I can demonstrate some religious function/process in terms of Scientology, which pretty much everyone will agree is mad.

And yes, I do enjoy reading train schedules (and identifying different patterns and figuring out what the guy writing them was trying to do), decades old traffic safety regulations, and dictionaries. In fact, spending such great lengths of time sat next to a dictionary checking the spelling and pronunciation of literally thousands of words is one of the keys to my fluent English.

I might not be the most focused person ever, but at least I'm never bored. Seat me in an empty room for a fortnight and I'll come out of it with a ready lecture on the structure and history of the paint on the walls, including a detailed list of the different physical trauma/impacts the paint layers had endured and a broad analysis of the painting strokes used. You see my point?

Hilarious.
    Last edited by phenomanon; 24th May 2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: deleted
    phenomanon

3. Likes lotus, Ogsonofgroo liked this post
    LOL! Ogsonofgroo laughed at this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post

jana
    phenomanon

5. Likes Dulloldfart liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dchoiceisalwaysrs View Post
    " In my country, there was a scandal with Scientologists committing suicide to 'drop their body' and get away from their debts. This was common enough for the BANKS to speak out, of all people. I understand this isn't very common in most countries where Scientology operates, and it largely killed it off here."

I had not heard of this. Is there someway you could provide us with a link to more information on this?
    I haven't heard of it, but would not be surprised if it happened.

In US bankruptcy, for example, it's not unusual for the bankruptcy judge to "claw back" money on account in orgs to pay creditors with, particularly if it's a significant amount. The theory is, if the public has the right to ask for a refund of money on account (which, in theory he does), then money on account is a hidden asset.

But if the public dies, then all debts are noncollectable.

I would suspect that something like this angle was a factor in the Rex Fowler case. But Rex failed to kill himself when he shot himself.
    “The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
    ― Ayn Rand,

7. Thanks WhatWall says "thank you" for this post
    Likes TheOriginalBigBlue liked this post

Update:

I can now totally understand why someone would join the Church after reading Dianetics.
    If you actually managed to wade through that book of your own volition, you must have been SUPER stoked about the subject and that alone would make anyone really suggestible. Plus, if you actually buy into Hubbard's pseudo-scientific claims in the comfort of your home (= no network enforcing them), you probably are of the type that is more susceptible to this stuff. And if you don't buy into them, I am both surprised and impressed by you getting through this immense volume of assertions, generalisations, and Hubbard's gross self-aggrandisements.

I have read more than a hundred of pages of straight up of a dictionary with little problem, and this somehow manages to be even less readable. And that dictionary wasn't even meant to be read page to page!

I gave up midway through chapter one of the first book and read Robert Harris' Cicero trilogy instead. The trilogy is about twice as long as Dianetics, but I read it in about a week - no doubt about an order of magnitude faster than I would have taken if I had actually forced myself through DMSMH.

I've got a long lineup of better books to read this Summer, and am shelving Dianetics in a new category of my bookshelf: "bizarre books whose interestingness (to use a Hubbardism) lies in where they are from rather than what they contain; Books which I want to keep but will probably never read".

Next time I am bored with a book I am forced to read, I shall comfort myself with the phrase "at least it's not Dianetics..."

I thank you all for the kind and enlightening comments, and will probably continue lurking around the forum every now and then, particularly when some major news breaks out.
    If I ever end up continuing my adventures interacting with the Church, I'll be sure to post here again for your amusement and information.

9. Thanks TheOriginalBigBlue says "thank you" for this post
    LOL! I told you I was trouble laughed at this post
    Suspended animation ... I told you I was trouble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swundel View Post
    Update:

I can now totally understand why someone would join the Church after reading Dianetics.
    If you actually managed to wade through that book of your own volition, you must have been SUPER stoked about the subject and that alone would make anyone really suggestible. Plus, if you actually buy into Hubbard's pseudo-scientific claims in the comfort of your home (= no network enforcing them), you probably are of the type that is more susceptible to this stuff. And if you don't buy into them, I am both surprised and impressed by you getting through this immense volume of assertions, generalisations, and Hubbard's gross self-aggrandisements.

I have read more than a hundred of pages of straight up of a dictionary with little problem, and this somehow manages to be even less readable. And that dictionary wasn't even meant to be read page to page!

I gave up midway through chapter one of the first book and read Robert Harris' Cicero trilogy instead. The trilogy is about twice as long as Dianetics, but I read it in about a week - no doubt about an order of magnitude faster than I would have taken if I had actually forced myself through DMSMH.

I've got a long lineup of better books to read this Summer, and am shelving Dianetics in a new category of my bookshelf: "bizarre books whose interestingness (to use a Hubbardism) lies in where they are from rather than what they contain; Books which I want to keep but will probably never read".

Next time I am bored with a book I am forced to read, I shall comfort myself with the phrase "at least it's not Dianetics..."

I thank you all for the kind and enlightening comments, and will probably continue lurking around the forum every now and then, particularly when some major news breaks out.
    If I ever end up continuing my adventures interacting with the Church, I'll be sure to post here again for your amusement and information.

You haven't lived until you've clay demo'd the entirety of that book (only joking).

"I like pigs. Cats look down on you; dogs look up to you; but pigs treat you like an equal."

Sir Winston Churchill.

Gold Meritorious Patron TheOriginalBigBlue's Avatar

Update:

Dianetics is everything you say but at least up through the 70s it appealed to the waning self help, self enlightenment type movement with the promise that everyone could be a therapist using this very natural and organic co-auditing technique. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding and until you actually do it you can be willing to set aside those things that don't make sense. I think Scientologists, or people who end up becoming dedicated Scientologists, are often too smart for their own good. In other words, they have the profound ability to make things fit into a context of reasoning without sufficient critical analysis. An important part of critical analysis or common sense is simply considering the possibility that you are being completely and deliberately conned for duplicitous purposes and this is specifically designed to be bait. Dianetics doesn't disclose all the restrictions, domination and subservience that is somehow an inseparable component of making all this natural and easy co-auditing work. It doesn't tell us how being locked in a chain locker or windowless basement is relevant to erasing engrams and going Clear. The Church also continues to promote it heavily as an entry point full knowing that it is completely obsolete and doesn't take into account or even attempt to make a footnote reference to significant later discoveries that removing druggie Body Thetan infestations are the more important and most expensive component to resolving pernicious subconscious influences. That is just wrong on so many levels. They do put a volcano on the cover but this can be taken as positioning Diantics with the "release of your full potential" instead as a disclosure that what we really want to do is exercise dead aliens that were once thrown into a volcano.

But I digress, so was there anything that you found helpful in Dianetics?

[QUOTE=phenomanon;1142274]
    Genetics and evolutionary biology are indeed cool subjects. I've written computer programmes that simulate the process, too.

I'm the kind of person with a thousand projects and a million interests. Scientology just happens to be one of them.

My family has a lot of theological background, so religions naturally interest me. Not being religious myself, I always find it incredibly amusing when I can demonstrate some religious function/process in terms of Scientology, which pretty much everyone will agree is mad.

And yes, I do enjoy reading train schedules (and identifying different patterns and figuring out what the guy writing them was trying to do), decades old traffic safety regulations, and dictionaries. In fact, spending such great lengths of time sat next to a dictionary checking the spelling and pronunciation of literally thousands of words is one of the keys to my fluent English.

I might not be the most focused person ever, but at least I'm never bored. Seat me in an empty room for a fortnight and I'll come out of it with a ready lecture on the structure and history of the paint on the walls, including a detailed list of the different physical trauma/impacts the paint layers had endured and a broad analysis of the painting strokes used. You see my point?

Hilarious.

I just looked at this reply that I wrote. I see what the Strat was "on" about. Sorry, folks. I'll try to do better.
    phenomanon

13. Thanks strativarius says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by phenomanon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phenomanon View Post

I just looked at this reply that I wrote. I see what the Strat was "on" about. Sorry, folks. I'll try to do better.
    What I was 'on about' is that it's easy to fix it if you know how! Some guys get it and some don't. Nobody is going to die and there's no need to apologise.

stratty xxx
    Last edited by strativarius; 21st June 2017 at 08:30 PM.
    To err is human, to purr is feline - Alexander Pope

15. Thanks phenomanon says "thank you" for this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456