Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boo! Another Scary Story

Patron with Honors

Default Re: Boo! Another Scary Story

Thanks tesseract. You're too kind. And that's a really funny cat picture. I wish I was that cat. That's funny because it reminds me about the time I got mugged in Italy, but it was not the time I was there at 22. It was later when I was 28 on my honeymoon. Another story for later maybe. It doesn't have anything to do with Scientology. It's in my book though. We were mugged by children.

Anyway, It was obviously during the Gulf War, not the "Golf" War. By the time I read it back it was too late to edit it. So I did the pretty low-budget thing around northern Italy for about a week and finally met up with T and her young OT8 boyfriend. They were staying in the Alps with some other OT friends that ran a mission and I wound up staying with them for a bit. We all did. It kind of became home base while I took off to see other touristy places around Treviso. I didn't have much money, so I couldn't really afford to get train fare everywhere I wanted to go, but I had a network of Scientologists I was able to stay with in different cities. I had a choice between taking a train to Germany and staying with an "untouchable" (he was best buds with my friend, "King of the world"), or trading that out to see a handful of places in Italy like Venice, Florence, Bolongia, Verona, Milan, etc. I chose to stay in Italy. I was also kind of hoping that the young OT8 might foot the bill for all of us to go down to Rome, possibly, but that didn't happen. In any case, I was spending a lot of time with both couples. They had a permanent three-bedroom apartment back at Flag on the base and were all pushing at me to come stay in the extra bedroom and get my Grades done. I thought they were out of their minds because I had no money, no source for money, no family to borrow money from and they just did not get it. These were rich people that didn't live in reality, but they'd keep at me every couple nights about having a "make it go right" attitude, which I did not have...yet.

What began to change me was when I met another Italian family. They were somehow invested in that little mission -- a husband, a wife and their 10 year-old son. I'd stop in there during dinner hour and hang out with everyone when I wasn't hanging out with the other four. I liked the town and was interested in possibly moving there and working at that mission translating PC folders for the C/S. It was all because I came to find out that the 10 year-old boy was studying to be the mission's OES and was currently the Course Supervisor, and was already OT4. This pretty much blew me away. It was similar to the whole Narconon scenario. I kept going there on course breaks to talk to this kid to ask him questions about how he came to be OT at such a young age. He told me that he remembered his full name from his previous life and Flag just fetched his folders and that was that! What the Hell?! I'd only heard rumors about these kinds of things. But this kid was a pistol. I wound up checking him out on his Purif Hat materials and he was sharp. I believed that what he was telling me was all true. His parents were there on some dinner breaks to back up his story. This started to "sell" me on keeping a theta mind. Perhaps Flag was operating at some higher level, and if I went there, I'd be able to fly by the seat of my pants and just magically figure it all out in some way. Still, this was only in the back of my mind and not exactly a real idea I ever thought I'd act on.

A couple weeks went by and T and her BF went back to Flag. I hung out in Milan after making friends with a couple people at the Milan Org. I stayed at a staff member's apartment until I had to return to LA. (The Milan Org was just a Class IV Org at that time, so there were part time staff members that had lives, and apartments.) But the org happened to have a couple of very young cadets they were sending to Flag that were on the same flight as I was, at least until New York to go through customs. They must have been 16 or 17. Just two young, scared girls. The Org wanted me to see them through customs. They didn't speak a word of English and my Italian was so-so. I promised I would and we even managed to get them seats near me.

After we arrived at JFK and got through customs, we came upon a magazine rack and saw the brand new TIME magazine. The bottom part of the covers were blocked off by the shelf, so all we saw was the top of the volcano and "Scientology." We got so excited that we were on the cover of TIME! I got to the stands first and pulled up a single magazine, revealing the the rest of the cover with an evil squid wrapped around the volcano and the words below it that stated, "The Cult of Greed." I was horrified. The cadets did not know what the words meant, but could tell it wasn't good. We started turning all the magazines around. One of the girls were crying. Her billion year contract was about to start after her next flight. I started to feel bad for her, for both of them. I patted them on the back and took them to their gate and went outside to have a smoke. My flight wasn't leaving for a while. I needed to clear my head. So much had happened in the last month.

Outside the terminal were all the taxis were lining up, waiting for passengers to be taken into the city. I was only one of two people out there smoking. I wound up smoking two cigarettes and thought long and hard about returning home and going back to my parents' garage. I felt like a loser. But here I was in NYC. I'd always wanted to go to New York. I just didn't want to go there piss poor broke. I had less than $200 on me in that moment. I had artistic goals and NY was THE city that mattered for the field of work I'd been working toward all of my young life. I wondered if I'd ever be that close to Manhattan again. I wondered if I was squandering an opportunity. So I took my connecting ticket, threw it in the trash and hailed one of those taxis to drive me into the Village. And I had absolutely no plan.

2. Thanks Enthetan, Glenda, tesseract, Lurker5, ThetanExterior says "thank you" for this post
    Likes dchoiceisalwaysrs, Glenda liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Helena Handbasket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Linus View Post
    Helena, it's not a contest. ...
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I saw it that way. I just meant that my life was absurd and tragic, too.

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Linus View Post
    ... Is your book out now or are you still writing it?
    It won't be ready for a good long time yet.

Helena
    My social skills are so bad I can't even sustain a fantasy relationship.

4. Likes EZ Linus liked this post
    Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by Helena Handbasket View Post
    ... I just meant that my life was absurd and tragic, too.
    Then we should stick together. From what I hear, lives like ours are interesting and meaningful to other people and can even be inspiring for mere the fact that we survived it all. I bet yours will inspire me.

I never wrote my book with the intention of publishing it. I mean, I had that in mind of course, but I had to write it for me first. I couldn't make it about Scientology per se. It had to be about releasing the tragedy, which is on such an absurd level, I though, who would even believe it? And it isn't like it has some Hollywood ending about how I'm all better now or ride off into the sunset either. It's just a story (or stories) from ages five to 40. I've had plenty more stories since too (I'll keep writing other books, probably fiction). Because the hardest parts to write were my childhood as non-fiction -- before I ever got involved with Scientology.

It won't be ready for a good long time yet.
    I really look forward to reading your book(s) when they're. I like your overall "personality" on the forum and I'm sure your books will be extremely interesting .

6. Thanks Glenda says "thank you" for this post

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I saw it that way. I just meant that my life was absurd and tragic, too.

Helena
    It's not just yours Helena, all our lives are absurd and tragic given that individually we're all just turning into compost and the entire universe is ultimately destined to disappear completely.
    Last edited by strativarius; 20th May 2017 at 03:32 PM.
    To err is human, to purr is feline - Alexander Pope

8. Likes Glenda liked this post
    Patron with Honors

Once I was dropped off in Greenwich, I called my friend who I knew from CC that frequently worked at the Canteen. They were well-traveled and had a name of a Scientologist that lived within walking distance of the phone booth. Luckily, it was totally cool with him that I stay with him for a couple nights until I figured out what the hell I was doing there. He was also involved in the arts and could appreciate my story, and was very cool for letting me crash on his couch for three nights. One of the nights I was there, I came back from dinner and saw that TIME magazine on the coffee table and kind of freaked out, but he said he didn't let the church dictate or censor what he wanted to look at. His opinion was that the article was bullshit anyway. I thought he had a point about censorship, so I read the article.

Well, I couldn't read it in full. It began to make me a little dizzy, the more I dug into it. It gave the EP of a lot of the points on the Bridge and I skimmed up at the highest OT levels. It said something about discovering that LRH was God. That was it, I couldn't look at it another second. The guy I was staying with caught me slamming the mag shut and throwing it back on the table, noticing that my reaction was not good and laughed a little. He tried to ease my worries. He kept telling me it was a rouse and complete bullshit. Then he suggested I maybe go down to Flag and get it all cleared up. He knew it was one of my ideas/options anyway.

Before I got into Scientology, I already had a belief in God. I was probably one of the only Scientologists who even had this belief. It wasn't exactly biblical, but it coincided with the Factors. To think, even for a moment, that Hubbard was accrediting himself with this first incident, the Big Bang if you will, upset me very much. And that after OT8, this would be our revelation? He's the One? None of this sat right with me at all.

To skip forward, I did decide to take a Greyhound down to Clearwater and stayed in the extra bedroom at T and her OT8 BF's place at the Hacienda Gardens. I literally spent my last dollar on that bus ticket. T was just so happy I came, she was convinced I would somehow drum up money once I got there. In the meantime, the other Italian couple (the one that owned the mission) were bringing two guests back with them that just finished the Narconon program in Rome. They were going to stay in the apartment too. But they came from money and had already paid for some Flag services, so I was to now sleep on the couch. The other guest would also sleep on the couch near me (it was a big L-shaped couch). I was "warned" by my friends that I should not try to sleep, have sex with, or even flirt with the guest that I was sleeping in the living room with. I was warned by all four of my friends on separate occasions. I was like, who do these people think I am? I was offended to say the least. I'd also recently been through a bad break up before I left for Italy in the first place. I wasn't interested. But the first night there, despite the language gap, despite that person not being my cup of tea, we slept together.

The next morning, everyone found out and you'd think I'd just slaughtered the princess baby Jesus or something. Both of us were sent straight to ethics to Cosimel, the Italian Ethics Officer that screamed at both of us, but especially me because I was "the American that should have known better." She slapped me with lower conditions and I had to get my Liability signed by practically everyone at Flag, so it was also a kind of Non-E at the same time, or I mean humiliating. It took me forever to get out from under that ugly situation. Having a full-time job during the day and only being there at night probably helped. People started to forget about it after a couple of months. I, by the way, worked for an OT8 that was over 400 pounds.

Eventually I got my own two-bedroom across the courtyard and shared it with a friend of mine who came in from LA that had been stalled on OT3 for over a year. It was during that time, another month or so, when I met a different Italian whom also lived in the Hacienda Gardens that I began seeing. I also started making a little bit of money because lo and behold, my father semi retired, but still wanted to work, so for tax reasons, he put his business in my name. In return for doing his books, he paid me a monthly fee and I was getting enough money to sock away for courses. Still, not really much for auditing.

The person I was seeing didn't have any trouble getting money though. They came from a well to do family, and in fact, this bothered me because life was just so easy by throwing Mom and Dad's money at everything. This didn't really become apparent until we moved in together. My friend/roommate from LA was very quickly kicked out of Flag the minute they mentioned wanting to commit suicide to me and another friend. We wrote KRs -- seriously hoping to help. We were worried, but it backfired and it was over. We couldn't even speak because of a Non-Enturbulation order, and they were gone. I moved in with my new 2D and we started talking about getting married. The only thing was that my 2D had already signed a Sea Org contract and had failed to tell me. Suddenly I was being recruited by my own 2D to come into the Sea Org too.

10. Thanks AnonLover, tesseract, Enthetan, Glenda, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes dchoiceisalwaysrs, Enthetan, Glenda liked this post
    Patron with Honors

If anyone out there is still listening, I am just going to go on and write more. This has been cathartic.

At Flag, my 2D did not talk me into joining the SO, but instead I was a main influence to keep them out, which at the time, I did NOT want to be. In fact, the day they were going back into the recruitment office I practiced drills and made sure that whatever they were to do in life, they were still hitting their goals in life regarding "clearing the planet" and all that. Maybe open a mission, or whatever. Because somehow -- and to this day I have no idea how this worked/works -- they were able to sign the contract, but not officially route into the Sea Org. I don't know how you can do that. I thought once you sign on the dotted line, that was it. You were stuck. But not so in this case.

I was pretty good with getting recruiters, even the absolute best recruiters off my back. I hadn't taken LSD, but there was an iffy chance I took PCP. Well, they called it iffy. I knew it was PCP. They were always willing to get me on the meter to "find out for sure." But I never let it get to that point because I had much better ways of getting out, namely being counter-intention to the goals and purposes of the Sea Org. They didn't know what to do with that one. We'd talk in circles, I'd hold my ground and that would be that. They'd lose. Not that I didn't feel like an asshole at the end of it, but I'd win the argument and they would not get me to sign.

Anyway, I'm sure I had an influence over my 2D, and I just didn't want the recruiters at Flag to blame me, or think I was an SP or something, so we actually prepped for how to frame it. When all of it was done and clear, we decided to get married.

Did I mentioned that my 2D was Italian? Throughout the months we were together, I built a bit of a relationship with the family over the phone: the mother and the sister. The father worked in the Middle East so we didn't speak too often, but they were all waiting for us to head on the road to marriage. They even bought me a couple intensives of auditing, just because they loved me so much. The only thing now was we didn't want the Sea Org to know our marriage plans. I left on Leave from course back to LA, my 2D would come about a week later and get to see Los Angeles, then we'd both fly to Italy and be married with the whole family there, and spend time there and decide where we wanted to live. But this never happened. Because during the week I came back to LA, my 2Ds FSM and Sea Org recruiters did a mindfuck on them and we broke up over the phone. I was dumped and accused of all kinds of shit. I was so pissed, I just had my young OT8 friend box up my shit and send it to me. I would not go back to Flag. For another round of humiliation.

However, I was able to transfer those two intensives from Flag to AOLA, plus the one I'd already saved for, and made three. I was able to do my Grades and attest to Clear. What's funny is that my ex turned up in LA almost six months later -- with the intention to find me -- and we made up. The very next day we ran off to Vegas and got married. So stupid (young and dumb). We lived in Los Angeles for less than a year before we broke up again for good. We broke up because they didn't have any goals or purposes and was floundering around mind-changing every other day -- even after doing the Key to Life Course, which was brand new at the time and could only be done at Flag. My 2D came back from that not even knowing the difference between a goal and a purpose. We broke up over it, because my career started to take off and I didn't have the time or patience for someone who was jealous and wasn't accepting help to get on track with their own purposes. They just wanted to watch TV all day. I didn't even own a TV before that 2D, so I was irritated. Half the time a friend of theirs was staying with us too and they both ran off to Hawaii for a week while I was working over time. I was done. Now I did the dumping.

Not too long after this, I wasn't able to afford the Hollywood apartment we had together and went back to the garage and started saving for an apartment I could afford. But in the meantime, my brother went back on drugs and my life was not good. I'd been hyper focused on my artistic endeavors and one of them started panning out, so at least that was good. But then I had huge falling out with my ex-roommate who I used to work at Narconon with. He wasn't necessarily on board with me about helping my brother get back into the program. He felt really burned and wanted nothing to do with helping me. That sucked. I tried to just move on with my life and my career. I moved in with a couple other people in a house, Scientologists that were in the same artistic group I was in. We didn't have any major celebrity status, but enough to where CC started to take notice and treat us all a bit differently. I was able to work part time, if at all. I did a couple different things in the creative arts. When one wasn't paying off, the other might. This momentum went on at a pretty good speed over the next four years while we traveled all over the country until I met my next 2D that was not a Scientologist at all. I feel guilty, but I am responsible for the making of one here (and a few others I might add).

We lived with each other for almost two years before we got engaged. The first year, we were both still in the group, which was like a little cult in itself. It was run much like an org and took the art right out of the thing. I became miserable after the first three years. The last two years I was trying to figure out a way to leave without causing a huge flap, plus I had to replace myself and my 2D since they were so green. It was one of the more stressful things I've ever had to do in my life.

Anyway, our engagement lasted about a year, and in that time, I sold one of my cars to get my fiance onto the Purif. I always had a couple cars in a state of restoration and was able to get some income from that. I also was in session at AO, I think doing some repair at the time -- and after we got married we got a gift from my 2D's parents for $10,000. We were to use it to get out of credit card debt so we can get start prepping our credit to buy a house. I told my 2D that when they go into the org (LA Org was where they were doing their Purif) not to ever mention this money because the regs will try to lure it away or swoop down like money hungry vultures. I paid all our creditors -- sent the checks out on a Sunday night, then that Wednesday night, my 2D came up the stairs to our apartment: LATE. I just had a feeling too. I asked where they've been, "in the regs' office?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"Did you buy something?"

"Yes, I bought an auditing package to Clear."

"With what money?"

"With the $10,000."

I flew off the handle and was livid and screamed about how all our other checks were going to bounce now and how I warned them. I started kicking the side of my desk and acted crazy and angry. Angry at the regs and angry at my 2D.

In the midst of this, my 2D tells me that the regs told him that I would react this way and that I was counter intention to their Bridge. That I was an SP. they got them on the phone while I was mid-conniption. I told the male half of the team that he just ran an off policy reg cycle on my 2D and didn't even ask me if it was all right to spend the money because they money was already spent! He says they don't need the spouses' permission. He was so smug too. I called him out on him or his female reg partner calling me an "SP," which he confirmed they "saw." So I told him that their perception was completely correct, because now I had two words for them: "Refund cycle!" Then, I threw the phone across the room.

12. Thanks tesseract, Enthetan, Glenda, Lurker5, exbritscino says "thank you" for this post

Absolutely brilliant story...... Witnessed many a similar situation when I was in this nutcase cult.

Hope the story comes out good in the end. Please tell more. And thanks!

14. Thanks Glenda says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Lurker5 liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Lurker5's Avatar

Keep going EZ, we are still here, reading . . . .
    Cautious as one crossing thin ice . . .
    (LaoTze-TaoDeJing, Chapter 15. 2nd verse . . . )

For Ray - I have not forgotten you, my friend
    Or you Scott, this is for you too. I hope you are out.
    Kay is out . . .

16. Thanks Glenda says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron

Definitely reading.....and all ready to have coffee all night to keep reading....but wait, where is that downstat EZ...where is the material for me to read...grrrrrrrrr...
    It's okay EZ, I will try and relax..no pressure here from me just hurry up...I got a lot of coffee in the pot.. ha ha..
    more

18. Likes Lurker5 liked this post
    LOL! Lurker5 laughed at this post
    Patron with Honors

Hurray! I needed a cheer-leading section. Thank you very much. Sometimes when you write you feel like you are writing into a void, and getting these great responses give me the incentive and inspiration to continue, so I really appreciate it. Thanks.

So after that crazy breakdown, my 2D realized that I was giving up my ETERNITY over this entire situation and as the night went on, I got a lot of "I'm sorry"s and all that. All I wanted to do was get to the bank first thing in the morning and put a stop payment on that $10,000 check. ...And by the way, it was a counter check. Do you guys know what that is? This is a tactic only, or particularly Scientology regs know how to use. You don't need your checkbook with you while you're getting that hard sell from the regs. (This is back in ye olden days mind you.) You don't even need to know your account number! You only need to know which bank you use, the amount you want taken out and your signature. You write it down on a thing called a counter check and it works exactly like a check. You can do the same thing on the back of a napkin if you wanted and it's legal. Anyway, I needed to get to the bank before this counter check was deposited Thursday from the Church. I was first in line when the bank opened and by the time I got to a teller, she informed me that the check had been cashed at another branch near Sunset and Vermont. Cashed! At nine AM. Not deposited at 2:00 PM. They were playing Beat the Clock with me because they knew I would be putting a stop payment on that thing as soon as I woke up.

So all my real checks bounced like crazy and all the fees came rolling in: $1600 in fees! Now we were overdrawn and our credit was fucked too. If I was a bank, I wouldn't loan us money to buy a house anymore, so there went that plan. Now I'd be declared, broke, divorced, with bad credit, and very angry and bitter. I thought about killing myself. But something inside me hoped maybe, just maybe, there was justice for me in Scientology. I just kept writing the whole thing up to RTC, explaining what happened and why I was asking for the refund. You bet I was still asking for that refund. But I wanted them to know how unfair the entire cycle was. My 2D shouldn't even have been in the regs office to begin with! For one thing, my 2D was on the Purif and in Ethics at the time. You're not allowed to reg anyone mid-service, especially in Ethics.

A couple months later, I was given a date, but it wasn't a ComEv. It was called something else (don't remember), but we met with members of the RTC, the Exec Dir of LA Org, the Ethics Officer of LA Org, and some MAA Int or something. Those two regs were there too. RTC had a check issued to me for $7,340 from LA Org. $2660 of it was to be credited to AOLA for an intensive for me, and these were the terms they were offering me to settle. There wouldn't be any ethics actions on me for asking for the refund and in fact the regs from La Org would be taken off their post and dealt with, they said. I did push a little though. I was willing to settle this way, but I wanted $1600 more for all the fees we endured and they sort of laughed, explaining that that was the price we had to pay for allowing it to happen and being in that position in the first place. I wasn't responsible, but my 2D was to a large extent. They didn't expect conditions from me, and didn't expect those regs to do conditions (to me anyway) either.

After the meeting, the regs smoked with me down stairs out in front of LA Org -- still smug -- saying that they weren't going to be demoted or anything and they still wouldn't apologize for calling me an SP. The conversation was fake friendly. Really gross.

I forgave my 2D. I used my intensive to complain, but I knew to stop at a certain point. I was still just so mad. Mad at a lot of things, not just that. Perhaps years of other things. Things I'm not listing out in this story, but other injustices. Friends that were raised in the Sea Org without ever seeing their parents, friends that when they were just children married men three times their age, women that got abortions because they were Sea Org, stuff that happened with me firsthand that I write about in my book but just won't describe here, people tattling on other people, using Scientology to justify unethical behavior when they were OTs <-- that always bothered me deeply because growing up I put a lot of stock into people that were higher up on the Bridge. In fact, once I attested to Clear I felt a responsibility to uphold a kind of air that I was more sane than someone who was not yet a Clear -- well after the "Clear feeling" wore off.

But I was still treated slightly special in the Church because of what I did and the company I kept. I also showed that I wasn't afraid to ask for a fucking refund, and do what was right. I had a past working a little with OSA when my brother came back into Scientology for a minute and wasn't being genuine. He was secretly using drugs and running a fraudulent business and saying he was a Scientologist and getting their business. I was trying to shut him down and declared a Type "C." And I maybe was connected to too many important sort of people. I'm not really sure why I was given nice attention.

But I guess I can pretty much end my time in Scientology here when I fast forward about a year, after my 2D and I were able to buy a small property and we were both basically in the same place on our Bridge than we were before. I'd finished the PTS/SP course though. I internally thought it was a load of hooey, and this was all after the whole "Golden Age of Tech" ordeal. That whole thing left me very angry -- just another way to repackage everything and sell it all over again. I was becoming very disillusioned with everything, and we were heading for a divorce. The marriage was never built on anything strong to begin with.

But this was coinciding with some health issues I was having. (Now I will really give myself away here). Long story short, I was diagnosed with something big -- not cancer, but something chronic and incurable. I hid it for a long time until some friends saw it - some of my symptoms - and started urging me to go to the org. My 2D was not really on board to possibly take care of me in the future so young being a few years younger. (I was 31 then.) My auditor told me that my only terminal was the MAA and then I knew it was over and I walked out of AOLA knowing I'd never step foot in there again. However, I still considered myself a Scientologist in my heart and mind and "practiced" it and believed in the "tech," until...

(I'll do my best to come back later today and finish this.)

20. Thanks AnonLover, ThetanExterior, Lurker5, hummingbird, exbritscino and 1 others says "thank you" for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast