Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was LRH an Outstanding Writer?

Patron with Honors

Default Was LRH an Outstanding Writer?

An evaluation of writer's works is always subjective. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know what people think about LRH fiction novels and nonfiction books.

I liked the first 100 pages of Volume I of Mission Earth because it describes the life in a totalitarian society. But then I lost interest because the novel kind of stalls with endless variations of the same themes and totally unrealistic scenarios involving large-than-life protagonist, Jettero Heller (Travolta's late son, Jettero, was named after this character). Overall, I give the book a solid C.

Hubbard's screenplay, Revolt in the Stars, is partially based on the OT III data. It is hard to grade a book or a screenplay based on its synopsis. But the story seems very promising to me: it has an evil galactic ruler, Xenu, love story of the leader of Loyal Officers, Rawl, and Xenu's former concubine, Lady Min. The silly thetan idea is nowhere to be found; instead the screenplay ends with Xenu being put in artificially induced coma and kept on life support. I'm sure that a movie based on this screenplay would have been a success.

Large portions of Hubbard's nonfiction book, Excalibur, could be found on the Internet. The book consists of two parts: Part I is Hubbard's version of the evolution theory, Part II is social implications of this very strange theory of evolution.

The theory is weird, to say the least -- it says nothing about beneficial mutations and natural selection. Any scientist would say that this is a crappy description of the evolution that never took place. I give the book an F

Majority of Hubbard's fiction works are fantasy novels; I haven't read any of them. The estimates range from "excellent and spellbinding" to "total failure" .
    Last edited by Demented Hubbatd; 27th June 2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: errors
    LRH era un maricon miserable que tuvo el esposo, tal Xenu. LRH quise sentir la picha grande de Xenu adentro de su culo grososo i su boca maloliente. Antes de acto sexual, Xenu estaba gritando -- ! Voy a chingar mi retardo mental!

Default Re: Was LRH an Outstanding Writer?

No. Vladimir Nabokov was an outstanding writer.
    To err is human, to purr is feline - Alexander Pope

3. Likes Demented Hubbatd liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron AngeloV's Avatar

The Old Quack was outstanding at creating pseudoscientific garbage at an astounding rate. He was outstanding at massive lying and hyperbole in his books and bulletins.

He was a less than average Sci-fi writer.
    A.V.
    Ex-Sea Org
    "That's what it's all about...credit cards to total freedom!" -- Sparrow
    Scientology is a vacation from reality gone terribly wrong.
    Before you speak - listen
    Before you spend - earn
    Before you write - think
    Before you die - live

5. Likes Demented Hubbatd liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Sponsor HelluvaHoax!'s Avatar

As a voracious reader and one who read a great deal of Hubbard's writing, I'd say:

1. I found his sci-fi unreadable in a repugnant sort of way. I even made multiple efforts (at the time I was in Scn) to try and RE-read Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth--but I could never get past just a handful of chapters before being repulsed by the awfully dated and corny style.

2. I read his screenplay "Revolt In The Stars" and tossed that one aside too (after at least curiously skimming through it to see how he treated the highly-confidential, lethally restimulative "Xenu" material.

3. I felt kind of vindicated on the above 2 when Battlefield Earth bombed worse than any film in memory, even garnering "Razzie" awards for worst movie in history.

4. I never could force myself to read his pulp fiction. But, then again, I never could watch the TV show "Star Trek" either.

5. There is, however, another amazingly brilliant part of Hubbard's sci-fi writing! It has to rank right up there with other science fiction/fantasy masterpieces--such as Orson Wells' "WAR OF THE WORLDS"-- that entirely blurred the line between fiction and fact. (LINK) In both cases, the readers/listeners were utterly bamboozled into believing that it was actually happening in reality! Hubbard called his work "Scientology".

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

Scientology in one word? HelluvaHoax!

I never felt as free as when I freed myself from "Total Freedom".

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

7. Likes AngeloV, Operating DB liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

No.
    Dismayed and confused by terrorist attacks? Educate yourself and take action. https://www.theobjectivestandard.com...inst-the-west/

9. LOL! TrevAnon, Operating DB, HelluvaHoax! laughed at this post

When Mission Earth first came out it was reviewed in a magazine in London, England by a guy who was an up-and-coming fiction writer. He gave it a good review.

However, he was a scientologist doing an amends project. I knew his sister and she told me he thought it was crap.

11. Thanks tesseract says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Demented Hubbatd liked this post
    LOL! HelluvaHoax!, Operating DB laughed at this post

I understand that Hubbard's sci-fi works that were written towards the end of his life (Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth) are overwhelmingly derided. However, Hubbard's wikipedia article gives the impression that his earlier works were more positively recieved. Is anyone familiar with his writings in the 30s and 40s? Are they any good?

In an early lecture, LRH talked about being paid by the word as a pulp fiction writer.

He thought nothing of dashing off 10,000 words to pay the bills.

That explains a lot, actually...

"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company." –Mark Twain

"Religion and theology must not be confounded. Religion is not doctrine, but a new birth." - R. Falckenberg History of Modern Philosophy (on German mysticism).

Quote Originally Posted by ThetanExterior View Post
    When Mission Earth first came out it was reviewed in a magazine in London, England by a guy who was an up-and-coming fiction writer. He gave it a good review.

However, he was a scientologist doing an amends project. I knew his sister and she told me he thought it was crap.

hilarious!

...and I don't even know if that "...however he was doing an amends project" was a crazy funny joke or not. Seriously.

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The Old Quack was outstanding at creating pseudoscientific garbage at an astounding rate. He was outstanding at massive lying and hyperbole in his books and bulletins.

He was a less than average Sci-fi writer.
    But, provably an astonishingly prosperous Sci-fi writer!

In the same way that Bernie Madoff was an astonishingly prosperous Fi-fi writer. . .

Financial-fiction writer.

Like Hubbard, Madoff discovered an advanced technology by which his customers could routinely attain miraculous "gains". Then Bernie just made up fictional numbers and "wrote" them into the investment account statements.

The only difference I have been able to discern between them is that Hubbard had "knowingness" that he would eventually get caught; thus he invested some of the clients' funds into BlueBird Motorhome futures.

16. LOL! Operating DB laughed at this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast