Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

  1. #1
    Patron with Honors
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    122

    Default Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    I'm not sure whether this topic has been discussed before on the board: if so, apologies for starting a new thread.

    I'm just wondering whether anyone experienced memory loss or other strange, related phenomena, during or after their time in Scn. Let me explain (as best as I can) some strange things that I have experienced. I'm curious as to whether the symptoms sound familiar to anyone.

    Just after I left staff in Scn, I noticed that my ability to recall things was deteriorating, and my thinking wasn't as clear as it had previously been. I was only in my early 20s. I had started smoking cigarettes around that time. Although the ED of my local org insisted that the memory deterioration was because of my out-ethics irresponsibility, leaving staff. I knew that was bullshit, and attributed it to the smoking. However, most smokers that I ask don't think that their memory deteriorated after they started smoking (ha, perhaps they simply can't remember). Has anyone else experienced this after starting smoking? Or after leaving staff/SO/Scientology?

    Another strange set of things I have experienced on several occasions (which I think is somehow related to the above): one is, I am looking for something. I look all over the desk for it. It's not there. I search the desk again. It's definitely not there. Then upon looking for a third time, I see that it is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Somehow, my perception apparatus just ignored the fact that it was there, like in a hypnotic stage act where the hypnotist tells the subject that someone/thing isn't there. I have a friend with a very sharp mind and very good memory. When I spend time with her (which is very often) it is SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to be RIGHT. I suggest we go to X and then to Y. She knows a more efficient route (and is right). I make a simple and obviously right statement about something. She contradicts me immediately, without a moment's thought, and as soon as she says it, I know that she is right, and I was wrong. It will happen every few minutes. It has gotten to the stage where I dare not venture an opinion, or make a decision, about anything in her presence. Then there will be strange synchronicities. For example, I will be about to say something on a topic we were not talking about. Before I open my mouth, she will say something on the same topic, that makes whatever I was about to say wrong. It makes me feel like a paranoid schizophrenic. Because this happens so often, and so predictably, that the most 'logical' explanation is that I am in some kind of matrix, and somebody is trying to do me in by feeding my thoughts to this other person, and giving them the thoughts needed to make me wrong. I often stay quiet and analyse what just happened. Sometimes there is an explanation. Sometimes, I have to conclude that this person is doing something supernatural. Not because I necessarily believe that is the case. But simply because, as Sherlock Holmes would say, when you have ruled out all likely explanations, then whatever you are left with is the true explanation, no matter how unlikely it is. And it ISN'T A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. It happens ALL THE TIME.

    The person herself seems completely unaware she is doing it. She can't help it. In exasperation, I have pointed it out on several occasions. The result: it gets WORSE. She does it more frequently. I find this truly bizarre. It even extends to things that simply CAN'T be the result of a mental computation (though her mind seems to be like that of a computer). She will make a guess about something (for example, where a place we have never been to is: do we turn right or left?). Her guess will always be right. I quiz her about how she knew that. "It was just a guess". I ask her, did she have some information I didn't have. "No".

    I now fully understand what it must be like to be a paranoid schizophrenic. I don't think I am one, because usually this person and me both agree on what just happened. The only difference is that I see that what happened just made me wrong, whereas the other person doesn't necessarily know what I was thinking just before she opened her mouth.

    I know that this sounds bananas. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

    The interesting thing is that the person to whom I refer would, by Scientology criteria, be an ideal person. Enthusiastic, very able to get things done, smart, perceptive [EDIT: 'perceptive' is an understatement: she once went out. Before she got back, I picked my wallet up off the table, went to a nearby shop, bought something, came back, and put my wallet back on the table. As soon as she returned, she knew I'd been out, because my wallet had moved a few inches on the table], works on a task until it is done, high level of ethics, etc. Apart from the above, the only negative thing I can say about the person is that she is very stingy in giving praise. And CAN'T CONCEIVE of ever being wrong. But those weird synchronicities tell me there is more to it than that...

    W.

  2. Thanks guRl, Free to shine, Lord Xenu, Knows, Boson Wog Stark and 3 others says "thank you" for this post
  3. #2
    Crusader Mimsey Borogrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    92,955,887.6 miles from the sun
    Posts
    5,283

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I'm not sure whether this topic has been discussed before on the board: if so, apologies for starting a new thread.

    I'm just wondering whether anyone experienced memory loss or other strange, related phenomena, during or after their time in Scn. Let me explain (as best as I can) some strange things that I have experienced. I'm curious as to whether the symptoms sound familiar to anyone.

    Just after I left staff in Scn, I noticed that my ability to recall things was deteriorating, and my thinking wasn't as clear as it had previously been. I was only in my early 20s. I had started smoking cigarettes around that time. Although the ED of my local org insisted that the memory deterioration was because of my out-ethics irresponsibility, leaving staff. I knew that was bullshit, and attributed it to the smoking. However, most smokers that I ask don't think that their memory deteriorated after they started smoking (ha, perhaps they simply can't remember). Has anyone else experienced this after starting smoking? Or after leaving staff/SO/Scientology?

    Another strange set of things I have experienced on several occasions (which I think is somehow related to the above): one is, I am looking for something. I look all over the desk for it. It's not there. I search the desk again. It's definitely not there. Then upon looking for a third time, I see that it is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Somehow, my perception apparatus just ignored the fact that it was there, like in a hypnotic stage act where the hypnotist tells the subject that someone/thing isn't there. I have a friend with a very sharp mind and very good memory. When I spend time with her (which is very often) it is SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to be RIGHT. I suggest we go to X and then to Y. She knows a more efficient route (and is right). I make a simple and obviously right statement about something. She contradicts me immediately, without a moment's thought, and as soon as she says it, I know that she is right, and I was wrong. It will happen every few minutes. It has gotten to the stage where I dare not venture an opinion, or make a decision, about anything in her presence. Then there will be strange synchronicities. For example, I will be about to say something on a topic we were not talking about. Before I open my mouth, she will say something on the same topic, that makes whatever I was about to say wrong. It makes me feel like a paranoid schizophrenic. Because this happens so often, and so predictably, that the most 'logical' explanation is that I am in some kind of matrix, and somebody is trying to do me in by feeding my thoughts to this other person, and giving them the thoughts needed to make me wrong. I often stay quiet and analyse what just happened. Sometimes there is an explanation. Sometimes, I have to conclude that this person is doing something supernatural. Not because I necessarily believe that is the case. But simply because, as Sherlock Holmes would say, when you have ruled out all likely explanations, then whatever you are left with is the true explanation, no matter how unlikely it is. And it ISN'T A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. It happens ALL THE TIME.

    The person herself seems completely unaware she is doing it. She can't help it. In exasperation, I have pointed it out on several occasions. The result: it gets WORSE. She does it more frequently. I find this truly bizarre. It even extends to things that simply CAN'T be the result of a mental computation (though her mind seems to be like that of a computer). She will make a guess about something (for example, where a place we have never been to is: do we turn right or left?). Her guess will always be right. I quiz her about how she knew that. "It was just a guess". I ask her, did she have some information I didn't have. "No".

    I now fully understand what it must be like to be a paranoid schizophrenic. I don't think I am one, because usually this person and me both agree on what just happened. The only difference is that I see that what happened just made me wrong, whereas the other person doesn't necessarily know what I was thinking just before she opened her mouth.

    I know that this sounds bananas. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

    The interesting thing is that the person to whom I refer would, by Scientology criteria, be an ideal person. Enthusiastic, very able to get things done, smart, perceptive [EDIT: 'perceptive' is an understatement: she once went out. Before she got back, I picked my wallet up off the table, went to a nearby shop, bought something, came back, and put my wallet back on the table. As soon as she returned, she knew I'd been out, because my wallet had moved a few inches on the table], works on a task until it is done, high level of ethics, etc. Apart from the above, the only negative thing I can say about the person is that she is very stingy in giving praise. And CAN'T CONCEIVE of ever being wrong. But those weird synchronicities tell me there is more to it than that...

    W.
    Well, I'll comment on the visual aspect - in a book called On Being Certain, the author discusses that problem. It is the way the mind works, how it processes images. It is similar to watching a movie, you have individual static images that the mind blends together to make motion. I have had multiple experiences like that, such as reading a sentence, seeing a word, and suddenly it changes from the one I thought was there to the one that was actually there. It is similar to those video algorithms that only show the changes and keep the background static. The other day I was looking for the airgap cover for my dishwasher that I had removed - I looked in vain for the silver cap, only to see it 15 min later - it was white. My preconceived notion of what it should have looked like prevented me from seeing the actual thing.

    He discusses this aspect in baseball how a batter will see the pitch and try to anticipate where it will arrive, so the mental pictures come in out of order, then reorder / smooth themselves into a consistent motion. He explained it better than I am doing, but it is not an unknown phenomenon.

    As to the memory stuff - look for a book called "Why isn't my Brain Working?" on amazon - I started taking some of the vites he recommended to good effect. Another was the book on AHHD by Dr. Amen. If you look online, no doubt, someone posted a debunking of it or claiming it isn't very effective, however that may be, the vites worked for me. C'est la Vie.

    Mimsey

  4. Thanks Lord Xenu, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes phenomanon liked this post
  5. #3
    Patron with Honors
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimsey Borogrove View Post
    Well, I'll comment on the visual aspect - in a book called On Being Certain, the author discusses that problem. It is the way the mind works, how it processes images. It is similar to watching a movie, you have individual static images that the mind blends together to make motion. I have had multiple experiences like that, such as reading a sentence, seeing a word, and suddenly it changes from the one I thought was there to the one that was actually there. It is similar to those video algorithms that only show the changes and keep the background static. The other day I was looking for the airgap cover for my dishwasher that I had removed - I looked in vain for the silver cap, only to see it 15 min later - it was white. My preconceived notion of what it should have looked like prevented me from seeing the actual thing.

    He discusses this aspect in baseball how a batter will see the pitch and try to anticipate where it will arrive, so the mental pictures come in out of order, then reorder / smooth themselves into a consistent motion. He explained it better than I am doing, but it is not an unknown phenomenon.

    As to the memory stuff - look for a book called "Why isn't my Brain Working?" on amazon - I started taking some of the vites he recommended to good effect. Another was the book on AHHD by Dr. Amen. If you look online, no doubt, someone posted a debunking of it or claiming it isn't very effective, however that may be, the vites worked for me. C'est la Vie.

    Mimsey
    Thanks Mimsey. I really appreciate your recommendations. I've just ordered the first book you suggested, after reading your post. Hopefully it will be useful.

    W.

  6. #4

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Hi W,

    I've had some similar problems, yes.

    Especially.....looking for something as you describe, happens occasionally.

    I'm off to work right now, so can't post more....

    But for me....Yes, I've got lots of unusual phenomenon happening....AFTER I LEFT the cult. Really devastating stuff to me...as a person.

    I was in for 27 years...and out now, since 2001....so about 16 years out. I was about 45 years old when I left...an am now 62.

    I think age might play a factor....?

    But my situation has been like chinese water torture or "death by a thousand cuts"......in other words, one tiny doubt or "problem" over and over again for 16 years....and there is accumulated damage.

    Schizophrenia....? Well, I have many of the symptoms.....But, I have read that for a 45 year old men....it is VERY unusual to develop schizophrenia..."over night."

    So....coupled with being in the Cult....and my certainty that what problems are happening are related to the Cult.....then no, I don't think a label of schizophrenia is proper. ( Even if the symptoms are there....)

    I would point out that you may be contacted via PM....and offered help. Some here on ESMB do this. I would say be very wary of this. But to be fair...its only happened twice for me. But others here do continually offer "other avenues" of therapy of a sorts...

    What ever happens, your life will go on....

    I find that generally speaking....this sort of discussion does not happen here on ESMB.

    Most are stating that the Cult was all fake.....and process "changes" were all fake...

    Just thought I'd point that out now.

    So far, I have not found a solution to my on going problems in this area....and have for the most part, have stopped looking for them.

    But I am glad you posted about them....and that I am not the only one suffering from "unusual phenomenon..."

    All the best,
    Lee
    Last edited by Leland; 5th July 2017 at 08:25 PM.

  7. #5

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    As far as this girl you mentioned always being right....and saying what you have been thinking....

    Well...if you were thinking it .....then you were first.

    To me....life is just too complex for anyone to always "be right."

    When you look at the economic differences....education differences....and all the strata of fields of endeavor that life acts in and upon.....Sciences, Arts, Business...and Labor...and such....it would be impossible for one to "always be right...."

    Certainly the CEO of any business does not look at things the same way a man working on that Company's loading dock does.....

    Hobbies....and weekend sports activities....and or pleasure outings.....WoW.....what a diverse selection there is.

    Just one simple hobby.....the depths that one can plumb.....say in a "music listening system..." would easily fill a big library....just for that one topic alone.

    Life is just to multi-faceted and to complex for what you are saying to "happen...." IMO.

  8. Likes guRl liked this post
  9. #6
    Gold Meritorious Patron clamicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,054

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Well, as far as memory. Trauma can do that stuff. PTSD from the cult messed with my memory big time. I think, additionally, having to date and locate and recall stuff that showed up on the meter whether it was true or not helped to further scramble me. I didn't put much credence in PTSD after the cult--it wasn't until I saw the fMRIs of folks who have it that it became very real that it was something physiological happening and not "just case". Unloading the cult language and forcefully relearning English helped open my brain up and things improved over time greatly.

    Unfortunately, I was assaulted right at the end of April. I was knocked out in the incident. Now, luckily, I do see a therapist regularly (found that is basic self-care that I need on the job that I work currently) and have been through a bit of unpacking of trauma and effects before, so I'm not caught off-guard, but it's been rough. Although, there is some effects from the actual impacts to my skull, the doctors think most of what I've been going through is my PTSD sort of reactivated. My memory has been TERRIBLE!!! I've been back at work, but I'm keeping a notebook by my side (when I remember it) to note down what I need to do. I've lost 3 sets of earbuds and a set of headphones and some of stupid mistakes I've been making? Egads... it's almost demoralizing, but I am familiar with it now and I can see the improvements again.

    As far as the stuff with your friend--I might chime in later when I get time (I'm on my lunch).

    Ha! As I was finishing this up, a co-worker asked me for our bank and I could not remember it for a good couple minutes -- and I had called to check my balance just a few hours ago. You kind of have to roll with it or it can really piss ya off... it is what it is.
    I don't recognize you--I've changed a lot. Oscar Wilde

    "I used to have a lot of faith in humanity before the advent of the website 'comment' section" -- Jim Gaffigan

    I joined a religion started by a science fiction writer that used a double cross as its symbol, and then they tried to sell me a bridge.....what could have possibly gone wrong?

    We are soldiers of life against these artificial minds. From "The Enemy" by Tramontane.

  10. Thanks Free to shine, Knows, tesseract says "thank you" for this post
    Likes tesseract, Leland liked this post
  11. #7
    Class Clown The_Fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,080

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I'm not sure whether this topic has been discussed before on the board: if so, apologies for starting a new thread.

    I'm just wondering whether anyone experienced memory loss or other strange, related phenomena, during or after their time in Scn. Let me explain (as best as I can) some strange things that I have experienced. I'm curious as to whether the symptoms sound familiar to anyone.

    Just after I left staff in Scn, I noticed that my ability to recall things was deteriorating, and my thinking wasn't as clear as it had previously been. I was only in my early 20s. I had started smoking cigarettes around that time. Although the ED of my local org insisted that the memory deterioration was because of my out-ethics irresponsibility, leaving staff. I knew that was bullshit, and attributed it to the smoking. However, most smokers that I ask don't think that their memory deteriorated after they started smoking (ha, perhaps they simply can't remember). Has anyone else experienced this after starting smoking? Or after leaving staff/SO/Scientology?

    Another strange set of things I have experienced on several occasions (which I think is somehow related to the above): one is, I am looking for something. I look all over the desk for it. It's not there. I search the desk again. It's definitely not there. Then upon looking for a third time, I see that it is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Somehow, my perception apparatus just ignored the fact that it was there, like in a hypnotic stage act where the hypnotist tells the subject that someone/thing isn't there. I have a friend with a very sharp mind and very good memory. When I spend time with her (which is very often) it is SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to be RIGHT. I suggest we go to X and then to Y. She knows a more efficient route (and is right). I make a simple and obviously right statement about something. She contradicts me immediately, without a moment's thought, and as soon as she says it, I know that she is right, and I was wrong. It will happen every few minutes. It has gotten to the stage where I dare not venture an opinion, or make a decision, about anything in her presence. Then there will be strange synchronicities. For example, I will be about to say something on a topic we were not talking about. Before I open my mouth, she will say something on the same topic, that makes whatever I was about to say wrong. It makes me feel like a paranoid schizophrenic. Because this happens so often, and so predictably, that the most 'logical' explanation is that I am in some kind of matrix, and somebody is trying to do me in by feeding my thoughts to this other person, and giving them the thoughts needed to make me wrong. I often stay quiet and analyse what just happened. Sometimes there is an explanation. Sometimes, I have to conclude that this person is doing something supernatural. Not because I necessarily believe that is the case. But simply because, as Sherlock Holmes would say, when you have ruled out all likely explanations, then whatever you are left with is the true explanation, no matter how unlikely it is. And it ISN'T A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. It happens ALL THE TIME.

    The person herself seems completely unaware she is doing it. She can't help it. In exasperation, I have pointed it out on several occasions. The result: it gets WORSE. She does it more frequently. I find this truly bizarre. It even extends to things that simply CAN'T be the result of a mental computation (though her mind seems to be like that of a computer). She will make a guess about something (for example, where a place we have never been to is: do we turn right or left?). Her guess will always be right. I quiz her about how she knew that. "It was just a guess". I ask her, did she have some information I didn't have. "No".

    I now fully understand what it must be like to be a paranoid schizophrenic. I don't think I am one, because usually this person and me both agree on what just happened. The only difference is that I see that what happened just made me wrong, whereas the other person doesn't necessarily know what I was thinking just before she opened her mouth.

    I know that this sounds bananas. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

    The interesting thing is that the person to whom I refer would, by Scientology criteria, be an ideal person. Enthusiastic, very able to get things done, smart, perceptive [EDIT: 'perceptive' is an understatement: she once went out. Before she got back, I picked my wallet up off the table, went to a nearby shop, bought something, came back, and put my wallet back on the table. As soon as she returned, she knew I'd been out, because my wallet had moved a few inches on the table], works on a task until it is done, high level of ethics, etc. Apart from the above, the only negative thing I can say about the person is that she is very stingy in giving praise. And CAN'T CONCEIVE of ever being wrong. But those weird synchronicities tell me there is more to it than that...

    W.
    I think it happens occasionally to most of us losing our keys or whatever it is and it's right in front of our nose. Just never saw it. Maybe we're so tied up in our thoughts at the time we aren't really looking and seeing at the same time.
    Not necessarily a post cult thing and stress makes us operate less optimally sometimes as well. If it is due to ongoing stress I'd be looking at what is behind it. Certainly, post cult stress has played havoc with a number of members here as well.

    As for your "friend", she doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for you.

    My sister in law has a similar thing. She doesn't suffer fools (people like that aren't usually much better than that either, lol) and thinks no one knows it like she does. I have worked for many bosses like that who have developed or always have had ego problems. It seems to be there are many people in the world just like that. "You're wrong, I'm right" types. I usually find them to be toxic personalities, best to be left to their own devices. The trouble is, they leave you feeling pretty worthless and they see nothing wrong with pulling your spirits down.

    Got to go to work now. Catch up later....

  12. Thanks Free to shine, tesseract, Wilbur says "thank you" for this post
    Likes tesseract, Leland, Wilbur liked this post
  13. #8
    Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    23,892

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Then there will be strange synchronicities. For example, I will be about to say something on a topic we were not talking about. Before I open my mouth, she will say something on the same topic, that makes whatever I was about to say wrong.
    This maybe only seems outrageous to someone who doesn't appreciate the spiritual side of human life and thinks it's only bodies interacting. Consider a human being as having all sorts of energetic "streamers" etc around them, and it's not so strange.

    Paul
    PaulsRobot Iconic now available for use at www.PaulsRobot2.com. With Auto-Report. Video here. Introductory post here. Debug post here. Dipoles post here.

  14. WTF? Leland said WTF? to this post
  15. #9

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    This maybe only seems outrageous to someone who doesn't appreciate the spiritual side of human life and thinks it's only bodies interacting. Consider a human being as having all sorts of energetic "streamers" etc around them, and it's not so strange.

    Paul
    I don't think anyone has "solved" or figured out what this phenomenon or spiritual structure might be....

    But, this is one idea about it....
    Last edited by Leland; 5th July 2017 at 10:14 PM.

  16. #10

    Default Re: Memory loss and other strange phenomena

    Wilbur,

    IMO, most of ESMB is about stopping the Cult now.....

    And

    What happened to people when they were in the Cult......and getting over it, "peeling the layers off" once out.

    But very little if any at all about what I am interested in....which would be some sort of "spiritual" ( theta really....because there is nothing spiritual with the Cult's "theta" ) attacks or "fair gaming" after one leaves....spiritually.

    Most would, I assume say it doesn't exist. Perhaps it doesn't. But I suffer none the less...from what I perceive to be just such attacks.

    Anyway....I wanted to make a couple statements...

    One....to "hide something from you" that is in plain view.....WoW...what a stupid game to play...if "one is playing it on you."

    If it is happening....to me it goes much deeper. It would IMO have an entirely different purpose....to cause distress.....disable....even to a slight degree...which is the beginning of "the wedge in." Done year after year.....one becomes more "wobbly."

    So....what is the solution? I don't know.


    Paul, the guy that posted above has pissed me off numerous times. He has a "therapy" that he promotes here all the time.

    Anyway, Paul.....for you to state as an ("everyone knows" fact in your post ) that.....Oh, gee, don't you know you have spiritual streamers emanating from your body.... is just the type of crazy shit I'd expect from you.....as "help" for someone posting in distress to what is happening to them, after the Cult.

    Your post really pisses me off. Typical Hubbard type stuff....(guru type stuff....)

    "Oh....everything will be OK, if you just don't think of the work Hippopotamus...." OF COURSE....on immediately thinks of the word......
    One wonders....one gets into a confusion....on gets "wobbly"....which is just the purpose of such a statement.
    Last edited by Leland; 6th July 2017 at 01:47 AM.

  17. Likes tesseract, EZ Linus liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. memory Loss and the OT
    By Mimsey Borogrove in forum Evaluating and Criticising Scientology
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10th January 2014, 06:39 AM
  2. In Out Phenomena ~ Can get out and won't go in!
    By Idle Morgue in forum General Scientology Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th February 2012, 03:47 AM
  3. OT Phenomena
    By haiqu in forum Human Potential, Self Discovery
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 11:19 AM
  4. OT Phenomena
    By Recovering Scientologist in forum Leaks - Emails, Promo, Insider Info
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 21st May 2009, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •