Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

  1. #11
    Comfortably Numb strativarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    4,126

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    Will Durant writes so well!

    "Every science begins as philosophy and ends as art; it arises in hypothesis and flows into achievement. Philosophy is a hypothetical interpretation ofthe unknown,… or of the inexactly known… it is the front trench in the siege of truth. Science is the captured territory; and behind it are those secure regions in which knowledge and artbuild our imperfect and marvelous world. Philosophy seems to stand still, perplexed; but only because she leaves the fruits of victory to her daughters the sciences, and herself passes on,divinely discontent, to the uncertain and the unexplored."

    I'd say science[Dn, Scn] is in the process of trying to capture the territory
    but hasn't as yet fully succeeded. That there may be a path to do so
    could be considered a wisdom of scientology. The grades may be considered
    an indication there is something worth exploring in that path.

    The exporation has been achieved with many footbullets. List 1 R/Sers,
    much ethics and PTS info and delving into politics of shunning and
    who to shun being examples.
    Terril, what planet are you living on? Despite everything that's been written about scientology and dianetics over the past 25 years, you are still persisting in the belief that these are scientific?

    Exporation? (I think you meant exploration) The only things that have been explored are people's bank accounts.
    To err is human, to purr is feline - Alexander Pope

  2. Likes Gib, tesseract liked this post
    LOL! Enthetan, Gib laughed at this post
  3. #12

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by strativarius View Post
    Terril, what planet are you living on? Despite everything that's been written about scientology and dianetics over the past 25 years, you are still persisting in the belief that these are scientific?

    Exporation? (I think you meant exploration) The only things that have been explored are people's bank accounts.
    Scientology is one of many schools of psychology. There is
    debate as to whether psychology is or isn't a science. Scientology
    has borrowed from the two most prominent authors in the field.
    Freud and Jung.

    My comments were more on the line that scientology is in
    the process of becoming a science rather than already is one.



    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...science-debate

  4. #13
    Comfortably Numb strativarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    4,126

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    Scientology is one of many schools of psychology. There is
    debate as to whether psychology is or isn't a science. Scientology
    has borrowed from the two most prominent authors in the field.
    Freud and Jung.

    My comments were more on the line that scientology is in
    the process of becoming a science rather than already is one.

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...science-debate
    Sorry mate, but the statement that scientology is in the process of becoming a science, apart from being absurd to begin with, just makes me laugh. Scientology pretends to fall within the field of psychology. Allying itself with the ideas of Freud and Jung is just a disguise, an attempt to give it some form of legitimacy. I just wonder why you can't see that. IT'S A SCAM!!!!
    To err is human, to purr is feline - Alexander Pope

  5. Likes Gib liked this post
  6. #14

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Why would Scientology even preTEND? Arent they supposed to be so Anti Psych?

  7. Thanks pineapple says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Gib liked this post
  8. #15
    Patron with Honors pineapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    only by consideration or postulate
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanchi View Post
    Why would Scientology even preTEND? Arent they supposed to be so Anti Psych?
    They have gradually become more anti-psych over the years. In the earlier stuff you'll occasionally hear LRH describe dianetics or scn as a school of psychology and he once in a while puts in a good word for Freud: "Freud worked sometimes," or "at least Freud realized there was an unconscious mind," etc. As mainstream psychology continued to reject or mostly just to ignore him, and "SP's" came to loom larger in his thinking, Hubbard's attitude toward the psychs became more adversarial, until by the late 60's they are seen as the primal implanters, going way, way back on the whole track.
    I had a dream I was awake and awoke to find I was asleep. -- Stan Laurel

  9. Thanks Tanchi says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Gib liked this post
  10. #16

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by strativarius View Post
    Sorry mate, but the statement that scientology is in the process of becoming a science, apart from being absurd to begin with, just makes me laugh. Scientology pretends to fall within the field of psychology. Allying itself with the ideas of Freud and Jung is just a disguise, an attempt to give it some form of legitimacy. I just wonder why you can't see that. IT'S A SCAM!!!!
    The refrain of critics is that everything in SCN was stolen
    by Hubbard. The ideas of Freud and Jung predate Hubbard.

    Hubbard did not ally himself with the ideas of Freud and Jung.
    How could source do that! He did include Freud as one of many
    who inspired him in SOS.



    "Major sciences have paradigms, which are general theories that encompass many smaller theories, such as physic’s theory of relativity. However, psychology does not have any of these. Instead, it has levels of explanations that are used to explain phenomena. Thomas Kuhn (1990) said, because of this ‘psychology is a pre-science’. He meant that psychology had not quite reached the stage of being a science, but may do one day."

    What I've been saying.

  11. #17
    Comfortably Numb strativarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    4,126

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    The refrain of critics is that everything in SCN was stolen
    by Hubbard. The ideas of Freud and Jung predate Hubbard.

    Hubbard did not ally himself with the ideas of Freud and Jung.
    How could source do that! He did include Freud as one of many
    who inspired him in SOS.

    "Major sciences have paradigms, which are general theories that encompass many smaller theories, such as physic’s theory of relativity. However, psychology does not have any of these. Instead, it has levels of explanations that are used to explain phenomena. Thomas Kuhn (1990) said, because of this ‘psychology is a pre-science’. He meant that psychology had not quite reached the stage of being a science, but may do one day."

    What I've been saying.
    I'm kicking myself for having gotten into one of these pointless debates with you again, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

    The refrain of critics is that everything in SCN was stolen by Hubbard. The ideas of Freud and Jung predate Hubbard.
    Yes, so what's the problem there?

    Hubbard did not ally himself with the ideas of Freud and Jung. How could source do that! He did include Freud as one of many who inspired him in SOS.
    Okay, so you've just contradicted yourself. What else?
    Last edited by strativarius; 8th July 2017 at 09:36 PM.
    To err is human, to purr is feline - Alexander Pope

  12. #18
    Silver Meritorious Patron George Layton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    Scientology is one of many schools of psychology. There is
    debate as to whether psychology is or isn't a science. Scientology
    has borrowed from the two most prominent authors in the field.
    Freud and Jung.

    My comments were more on the line that scientology is in
    the process of becoming a science rather than already is one.



    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...science-debate
    Scientology is one of many schools of psychology.

    IF a person cannot come to terms with the fact that they are not so intelligent that they could have been fooled for so long a time.
    Each time I spot hypocrisy, it turns around and points at me.

  13. #19

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by strativarius View Post
    I'm kicking myself for having gotten into one of these pointless debates with you again, but in for a penny, in for a pound.



    Yes, so what's the problem there?



    Okay, so you've just contradicted yourself. What else?
    Its Hubbard contradicting himself.

    He said he was source, and earlier said 50,000 yeas of thinking
    men were the source or at least inspiration.

    "Acknowledgement is made to fifty-thousand years of thinking men without whose speculations
    and observations the creation and construction of Dianetics would not have been possible.
    Credit in particular is due to:

    Anaxagoras, Thomas Paine
    Aristotle, Thomas Jefferson
    Socrates, Rene Descartes
    Plato, James Clerk Maxwell
    Euclid, Charcot
    Lucretius, Herbert Spencer
    Roger Bacon, William James
    Isaac Newton Francis Bacon
    van Leeuwenhoek, Sigmund Freud
    Voltaire, William A. White
    Cmdr Thompson (MC) USN, Will Durant
    Count Alfred Korzybski

    and my instructors in atomic and molecular phenomena, mathematics and the humanities at
    George Washington University and at Princeton."

  14. Thanks Gib says "thank you" for this post
  15. #20
    Silver Meritorious Patron George Layton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: Who were the troika of the cult of Dianetics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    Its Hubbard contradicting himself.

    He said he was source, and earlier said 50,000 yeas of thinking
    men were the source or at least inspiration.

    "Acknowledgement is made to fifty-thousand years of thinking men without whose speculations
    and observations the creation and construction of Dianetics would not have been possible.
    Credit in particular is due to:

    Anaxagoras, Thomas Paine
    Aristotle, Thomas Jefferson
    Socrates, Rene Descartes
    Plato, James Clerk Maxwell
    Euclid, Charcot
    Lucretius, Herbert Spencer
    Roger Bacon, William James
    Isaac Newton Francis Bacon
    van Leeuwenhoek, Sigmund Freud
    Voltaire, William A. White
    Cmdr Thompson (MC) USN, Will Durant
    Count Alfred Korzybski

    and my instructors in atomic and molecular phenomena, mathematics and the humanities at
    George Washington University and at Princeton."

    Where are the case studies referred to in Dianetics?
    Each time I spot hypocrisy, it turns around and points at me.

  16. Likes Gib liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buddhafield cult and similarities to Scientology cult
    By Operating DB in forum Cults in General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11th September 2016, 01:30 PM
  2. Dianetics and EFT
    By StickbyMe in forum Human Potential, Self Discovery
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12th March 2014, 10:11 PM
  3. Time Magazine calls a cult a cult - July 24, 1950
    By Deeana in forum General Scientology Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 30th September 2013, 09:03 PM
  4. Are OT3 and Dianetics the same?
    By Mimsey Borogrove in forum Evaluating and Criticising Scientology
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 25th September 2013, 03:08 AM
  5. Dianetics
    By Lohan2008 in forum Important documents
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 30th March 2010, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •