Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second thoughts/cold feet? What do you guys think?

Default Second thoughts/cold feet? What do you guys think?

If you were writing a book about your life and half of it was about the cult, would you put your real name on it, or would you let the chips fall - knowing you'd get harassed? Having second thoughts on that aspect now. I know I have "support" but I recently watched "My Scientology Movie" and just watching how harassed the crew was, and of course seeing a lot of the footage on Marty, and being reminded of how relentless they were to him...I don't know. It just reminded me of what I might be in for.

2. Thanks Lurker5, Type4_PTS, Enthetan says "thank you" for this post

Default Re: Second thoughts/cold feet? What do you guys think?

Make your own decision. You're the one who deals with what happens.

Me, I have two kids in college, and I don't feel like getting harassed at work, so I choose to stay anonymous. Most of you don't know me in my Scn days anyway, so Enthetan is as familiar a name as any, and whatever things I might have to say, I've already said here.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    -Noam Chomsky

4. Thanks Bluebell, EZ Linus, Type4_PTS says "thank you" for this post

As Enthetan wrote, it's really a personal decision that no one else can make for you.

I've considered the possibility myself of a book, and while I wouldn't want to deal with the typical harassment, hate websites, etc. from the cult, I would go forward with it if I felt it would help some others.

Maybe reach out to some of the other authors directly who have written critical books about Scientology, discussing it with them, and getting feedback on what their experience was after publishing.

6. Thanks Ogsonofgroo, EZ Linus says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Linus View Post
    If you were writing a book about your life and half of it was about the cult, would you put your real name on it, or would you let the chips fall - knowing you'd get harassed? Having second thoughts on that aspect now. I know I have "support" but I recently watched "My Scientology Movie" and just watching how harassed the crew was, and of course seeing a lot of the footage on Marty, and being reminded of how relentless they were to him...I don't know. It just reminded me of what I might be in for.
    I would think that Marty would be in a different league than most of us just based on what he did for the cult.

The harassment I've had directed at me was almost comical. It was jarring at the time but comical. I also suspect that I was targeted to send a message to someone else. It's somewhat convoluted but I can explain in a private message. It's not really for public consumption.

Chris Shelton and I had really good conversations about safepointing employers, etc., before he went public. You need to talk to him because he struggled with the decision and has gone on to be a great asset to our community.
    The main key to free a person from this cult is compassion. This is true of all cults, but it is especially true of Scientology, where, in the upper echelons, there isn't even any pretense of compassion. Showing compassion just might be the key to breaking through the person's cult identity and reaching the real person.

***Monica Pignotti - My Nine Lives in Scientology***
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/pignotti/

8. Thanks EZ Linus, tesseract, Type4_PTS, HelluvaHoax! says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Sponsor HelluvaHoax!'s Avatar

Good question!

For years I used the nom de plume "HelluvaHoax!"

But one day, I just decided "Fuck it!" and began using my real name, Don Hubbard.

It was so empowering and there haven't been any problems with Scientology goonery as a result.

LOL

Seriously, I use a pen name to keep all contact with Scientologists (OSA or otherwise) at zero or an absolute minimum. Not from fear. From not wanting to expose myself to the toxic stupidity of people trying to "handle" me.

As well as severe fits of rage and depression upon hearing cliches like "on this planet". lol

Same reason I wouldn't date or marry a Scientologist. It gets really uncomfortable in bed with a clipboard and all those nasty little demo kit pieces.
    Last edited by HelluvaHoax!; 3rd August 2017 at 03:56 AM.

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

Scientology in one word? HelluvaHoax!

I never felt as free as when I freed myself from "Total Freedom".

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

10. Thanks Gizmo, Type4_PTS says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Gizmo liked this post

The problem is that if you are writing a book "about your life and half of it was about the cult," it would be rather easy for OSA to identify you even if you use a fake name. I've never known of an anonymous or pseudonymous book about Scientology that was meaningful, much less successful. What are you going to do, change not only you name, but everyone else's names? The Org and location? The facts of what happened?

My advice is that if you are concerned about being outed and the consequences thereof -- which I believe are very legitimate concerns -- don't write the book. Certainly don't write the book with the thought that changing the name of the author is going to provide you with any protection.

12. Thanks EZ Linus, tesseract says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron ILove2Lurk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaHoax! View Post
    But one day, I just decided "Fuck it!" and began using my real name, Don Hubbard.
    My favorite Don Hubbard photo from back in the day.
    This ride is so sweet. Cannot go wrong with a Cadillac.

Name:  superfly.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  96.2 KB

14. Likes Tanchi liked this post
    LOL! Gizmo, Type4_PTS, Lurker5, WildKat laughed at this post
    Suspended animation ... I told you I was trouble's Avatar

I really don't feel the need to invite any of those nasty robots people back into my life in any way at all (it's been so fantastic being rid of every last one of them this last 9 years) so I would not use my real name ... the only exception being if (by using it) it would significantly help to bring down the cult.

"I like pigs. Cats look down on you; dogs look up to you; but pigs treat you like an equal."

Sir Winston Churchill.

16. Thanks Bluebell, EZ Linus says "thank you" for this post
    Likes anonomog, Free to shine, Lurker5, WildKat liked this post

Sounds like you want people to read about your life but you don't want them to know who you are. That's a dilemma that only you can solve.

I remember Chris Shelton joining this board as Galactic Patrol and he had the same concerns. Pretty soon after that he went public with his name and he seems to have gone from strength to strength.

18. Thanks EZ Linus says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Sponsor HelluvaHoax!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILove2Lurk View Post
    My favorite Don Hubbard photo from back in the day.
    This ride is so sweet. Cannot go wrong with a Cadillac.

Name:  superfly.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  96.2 KB

lol lol lol lol

I asked Don about that shot. . .

Don Hubbard said:

Yeah, I remember the day we took that shot--it was taken by IL2L when she was a free-spirited hippie photographer/artist living down in the village. Wild child!

I had just recently escaped from the S.O. and was an associate of the Tattaglia family--runnin' hoes down in Little Italy. The family loved me cuz i had power-pimp stats and was kicking big bucks up to Don Tattaglia.

The family didn't want us slingin' dope but I had a nice little side business selling uppers to NY org and FOLO staff. They always made me put the shit in vitamin bottles and label it "RON'S PRODUCTION BOOST SUPPLEMENTS"

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

Scientology in one word? HelluvaHoax!

I never felt as free as when I freed myself from "Total Freedom".

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

20. LOL! Bluebell, Gizmo, anonomog, ILove2Lurk, Type4_PTS and 4 others laughed at this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast