Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 30+ Years in Scientology

Quote Originally Posted by Free to shine View Post
    My new found freedom led to me falling instantly in love and becoming pregnant. I was 16, it was like time sped up. I did want a baby and marriage, some stability in my chaotic life.

I kept quiet about it, because I knew somehow that if I didn’t, then abortion was going to be demanded due to my age. I wasn’t living with my family at this point, and the lady who ran the house I was in finally spotted me throwing up every morning and told my mother.

All hell broke loose, and yes I was taken to a doctor to see about abortion, but luckily he said it was too late. The baby’s father had moved on to someone else, and his mother told me in no uncertain terms he would never marry me (we were very young but this was still a great emotional shock for me I was trying to come to terms with ) and so it was decided that the baby would be adopted out at birth, and arrangements were put in place for when it happened. I felt I simply had no choice, especially if I wanted to continue in Scientology.

This was England in 1969 and the hospital system was not sympathetic to a pregnant young single girl. I had to lie about what I did to protect Scientology, as any connection to it would have been a PR flap.

World Wide

I was recruited for World Wide but it was decided I would be better in the SO. I can’t remember how all this came about. I went to Edinburgh for a month to the new SO while my Dad did his Clearing Course, having signed my billion year contract. Luckily Captn Phyl was wise enough to send me back to SH, or goodness knows what would have happened. She made up special ‘pregnancy’ exercises for me for the mornings instead of the usual and made sure I was looked after. I am grateful for that. My younger brother was sent to one of the ships, the Enchanter I think, at 15 years old.

What to do with me now? I was sent back to Saint Hill and it seemed my only choice was to join the World Wide org. (This was the management org in place before Int and included GOWW.) I remember that day, it is seared into my mind. Sitting in a car with my mother crying because I didn’t want to go, but not knowing I had any other choice. I wanted to save the world but I felt so young and scared. (I understand my parent’s position during all this and I know I caused them a lot of heartache and stress. Joining staff properly seemed the best outcome for us all.)

I worked as the telex op, and then Dir Com WW. This meant keeping the commlines smooth and delivering telexes and comms immediately. Jane Kember always scared me, and I remember being relieved when I had to deliver a telex and she wasn’t there.

Things changed rapidly during that period, I was so young and totally encapsulated in the reality of that internal world I had no idea what was happening on a bigger scale. What was actually a nice place to work (in the Monkey Room for those who know it) started to become unpredictably unsafe.

One day I came back from lunch and my desk had disappeared. I had been moved upstairs without warning and it was terribly upsetting to not be informed, just have it happen. That sort of thing. The normal rights seem to start to disappear. It was the period of heavy ethics and penalties started to be applied more. Like when you were in Liability, having to wear an armband etc.

One incident that I recall is that we were all staff being sent to London to give out broadsheets. I CSW’d not to go, and it was not okayed, it was an all hands event. I was 8 months pregnant, it was freezing bloody cold and it was a nightmare standing on the streets trying to give away the broadsheets and picking them up again as they were dropped before being done for littering. The journey home is seared in my memory as being pregnant I needed a loo, but the coach couldn’t stop and I was in agony by the time we arrived at the Hill.

Motherhood on Staff (the first time).

My baby was overdue so the doctors decided to induce the birth. I worked on staff until the day before. I am grateful my mother came with me to the hospital, if she hadn’t I am sure I would have died. I was given drugs to alleviate the pain (which I later found out I am allergic to) and the result was that I told Mum that I “was going”. I really meant it. She held my hand and told me, no demanded, that I not leave my body. I heard her through the pain and decided to stay, and finally it was over.

Because the baby was due to be adopted, I was not allowed to breastfeed, and yet my baby daughter was brought to me at the same times as other mothers saw their babies. She was then taken away for bottle feeding. The idea was that adoption was a last resort, and mothers were encouraged by any means possible to keep the baby. This put me in a terrible quandry. How could I continue to be on staff with a newborn? How could I give her up?

Three days after the birth my parents visited and looked at this babe in the cot at the end of the bed. They told me they would help me raise her, as she wanted to be part of our (Scientology) family. So that is what we did. The hospital staff suddenly started to be nice to me, and taught me how to bottlefeed and so on.

I was back on post within 7 days, the day after leaving hospital, babe under desk! I don’t know how I was allowed to do this in the staff climate at that time, I just did it. People would help out by taking her for a walk and so on, and my parents started to look after her more and more. (Eventually they adopted her legally.)

This period of my life was total stress. I was living in a room at the Stables and I tried to cope with a newborn babe at the age of 16, alone, while working on staff. My parents were busy and I didn’t have any other support or knowledge of caring for a baby. I couldn’t cope with all the dirty nappies either, and started storing them in cupboards out of desperation. They were discovered and I was asked to leave, and moved back with my parents.

I don’t know if the time sequence is right here, but sometime around then Martyn’s Place (a huge old mansion with about 20 bedrooms) was finished being renovated and my family moved there. It was a really beautiful place and I remember it fondly, and will try and post some pics sometime. I continued working on staff.

During this time I was raped by a student who I was silly enough to go for a walk with in the woods one day. I wasn’t hurt, except emotionally, and so shocked by what happened and the guilt of “pulling it in” that I didn’t tell anybody. After all, he was an upstat and respected older student and who would believe me? And if I did tell, it would cause a huge PR flap and be bad for Saint Hill. It took 30 years for that to come out and be acknowledged. I cried for a week when I first told someone, and it has had a lot to do with my subsequent healing.

This is the sort of thing that interests me, as it reflects the values of the group. I did not feel safe enough to report a rape, and lived with the certainty for many years that it was all my fault. Of course this is not unusual with rape, but here was I in the midst of the supposedly most safe place on the planet, and I could not tell ANYONE.

Back to my story….

The crunch came for me when one week I was assigned Danger or something and was not allowed to leave the premises, get food, shower etc etc. There was nothing I could do immediately to get my stats up and I ended up having to try and find somewhere to sleep the night. A friend whispered that there was a key to LRH’s camera/photography room she could get, so we spent the night there. No-one knew, and it was an interesting place!

I met my first husband on WW staff. We had an instant rapport and decided to marry, though as I was still 17 it took some work to get agreement to that. I had been becoming more and more unhappy on staff, it was really an insane time and place to be. He was unhappy on staff too, and the thought of the freedom of a new life with him was too enticing to ignore. Our wedding was arranged to be held in Saint Hill Chapel. I can’t remember precisely what happened then, I think I blew the day before the wedding as I had been refused permission for leave or something.

I still was married in Saint Hill Chapel! How did I manage that? I am still amazed. Only half the guests came, and I suppose the fact that any did was because they hadn’t heard I was blowing - after my wedding! This (very old) pic is in the grounds.

My new husband and I drove off into the sunset (towards Scotland) with a profound sense of relief. I will remember that feeling forever.

More soon.
    Do you still have photos? Your story is amazing!

Shiny Free Crusader Free to shine's Avatar

Well, I'm not sure why, but today I feel like posting my name. There are ongoing family issues as I come from a multi generational scio family, and I felt it would be easier on them if I didn't go public, so I didn't. I was also told to stop posting last year on threat of disconnection, which I refused to do so the threat was carried out. This is my story and I refuse to be told what I can and can't communicate about.

I am Sue Thompson, and for anyone who was at Saint Hill from 68-77 I was known as Sue James or Henderson there.

My Story - Becoming Free to Shine
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I wasn't aware that a documentary (on scientology) was coming out but I'll be sure to not watch it." A Scientologist

3. Thanks xseaorguk, Glenda says "thank you" for this post
    Likes xseaorguk liked this post

How does it feel to walk in the daylight, Sue?

Congrats on your freedom.
    VEDA IS GOD

Sometimes I'm the Evil Twin.

http://itwastruelove.blogspot.com

Well, I'm not sure why, but today I feel like posting my name. There are ongoing family issues as I come from a multi generational scio family, and I felt it would be easier on them if I didn't go public, so I didn't. I was also told to stop posting last year on threat of disconnection, which I refused to do so the threat was carried out. This is my story and I refuse to be told what I can and can't communicate about.

I am Sue Thompson, and for anyone who was at Saint Hill from 68-77 I was known as Sue James or Henderson there.

Sue!
    The night I escaped Staff:
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost....2&postcount=33

I get really tired of hearing about how the lower bridge has value. The lower bridge has the sole purpose of getting the PC to reach for more bridge. The fact that many people improved their circumstances as a result of a good intentioned auditor being interested and caring about his PC is not worth the long term and intended result of Scientology technology. GT

Quote Originally Posted by Good twin View Post
    How does it feel to walk in the daylight, Sue?

Congrats on your freedom.
    Thanks WO - you are an inspiration!

I realised there is actually little emotion, like quite a few people know who I am anyway! I just got to thinking that by not being proudly myself, I was to that degree still under the influence, so to speak. :D

To any of my family who may read this and feel upset, please know it isn't my intention. To me the journey of really finding myself has been a profound and complicated one. I didn't have a lot of choice in early years, or felt I didn't, and now I am free to (shine) choose. Being an ostrich isn't a choice of mine any more. I am finally the artist I always wanted to be and even if I cope with physical problems, it does not make me the dreadful deluded waste of space that scientology makes me out to be.
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I wasn't aware that a documentary (on scientology) was coming out but I'll be sure to not watch it." A Scientologist

7. Thanks Glenda says "thank you" for this post

Thanks WO - you are an inspiration!

I realised there is actually little emotion, like quite a few people know who I am anyway! I just got to thinking that by not being proudly myself, I was to that degree still under the influence, so to speak. :D

To any of my family who may read this and feel upset, please know it isn't my intention. To me the journey of really finding myself has been a profound and complicated one. I didn't have a lot of choice in early years, or felt I didn't, and now I am free to (shine) choose. Being an ostrich isn't a choice of mine any more. I am finally the artist I always wanted to be and even if I cope with physical problems, it does not make me the dreadful deluded waste of space that scientology makes me out to be.
    YOU have been an inspiration to me, Sue! (and GT has as well!). You guys were there for me when I was newly posting here and stumbling outward and upwards. Your replies were so kind, so helpful and I felt pure relief to be able to share my thoughts and feelings here without preparing to flinch...you know?

STUPID that such a 'loving religion of Mankind' makes one feel like this! Huh?

By you stepping out into the sunlight, I agree Sue: You ARE 'Free To Shine' Now I gotta wear sunglasses!
    The night I escaped Staff:
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost....2&postcount=33

I get really tired of hearing about how the lower bridge has value. The lower bridge has the sole purpose of getting the PC to reach for more bridge. The fact that many people improved their circumstances as a result of a good intentioned auditor being interested and caring about his PC is not worth the long term and intended result of Scientology technology. GT

9. Likes xseaorguk liked this post
    Patron with Honors Patricia Curtis's Avatar

To any family member of Sue Thompson's that may be reading this thread - please know that this is one of the most lovely women I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. Behind the scenes, in emails and PM's, she has shared with me the deep and undying love she feels toward her family, and in particular her children and her mother. Do not let this gift of a human being pass you by. Challenge the rules of disconnection. Test out the connections that transcend those rigid and lifeless rules you've been taught and reach out to this woman. I love Sue Thompson. She is a beautiful artist and a terrific individual who has sincerely graced my life.
    The more who speak out, the more who get out.

11. Thanks xseaorguk says "thank you" for this post
    Likes xseaorguk, Glenda liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Tiger Lily's Avatar

Sue you are awesome!!! What a courageous thing to do!!! I can hear the chains breaking from the other side of the world! I'm so glad that you are done letting fear rule your actions . . I hope this takes a lot of negative weight off your shoulders. I know this has been so hard for you!

-TL

Gold Meritorious Patron Tiger Lily's Avatar

To Sue's family:

Sue is an amazing person and an amazing friend and she loves her family so much!

I can't say it better than this: Please read this post again:

Quote Originally Posted by Resistance is Futile View Post
    To any family member of Sue Thompson's that may be reading this thread - please know that this is one of the most lovely women I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. Behind the scenes, in emails and PM's, she has shared with me the deep and undying love she feels toward her family, and in particular her children and her mother. Do not let this gift of a human being pass you by. Challenge the rules of disconnection. Test out the connections that transcend those rigid and lifeless rules you've been taught and reach out to this woman. I love Sue Thompson. She is a beautiful artist and a terrific individual who has sincerely graced my life.
    One more time wouldn't hurt:

Quote Originally Posted by Resistance is Futile View Post

-TL

Aw shit... My screen is blurry.

Thanks everyone, and RIF that is the nicest thing anyone ever said about me, I am speechless.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast