Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My in and out story

Default My in and out story

Part1 (How I justify becoming a Scientologist)

I first got into Scientology in 1975. The mission was a very busy and exciting place. it also seemed very efficient and organized. It was friendly and the staff were well dressed and looked well taken care of. That's how I remember it and it all gradually morphed into a very surreal and scarey nightmare.

At the mission there were four Class 8 auditors, and at least three Class 6 auditors. There were 4s all over the place, but not in the HGC. Where are the auditors today? Over the past 30 years the products of Scientology have changed into something that would not be recognizable if I hadn't been part of the gradual change. Even in the so called "upstat" Orgs and missions, there are no auditors anymore. Oh there are a few, but not nearly what there was 30 years ago .

See, it used to be that the only training we did was the training of auditors. Selling books was a way to create interest and get people in for training. It also established the criterion of literacy. People who came on course were expected to have read books. That is about the importance of it. On the Comm Course you did TRs. TRs were developed for auditors. You could use them in life and it would increase your ARC with anyone. Becoming an auditor was the solution to any and all personal interactions. There were no life improvement courses. The thing that improves life is auditing. Giving and receiving auditing was not just the main course. It was the entire meal. There wasn't much attention on social reform or PR or anything else.

As a Course Supervisor (grundy can back me up on this) there are a couple of key policies. The Supervisor's Code and Supervisor's Stable Data. Do they even read that anymore? If so how can they justify filling a course room with people reading basic books? The policy says to throw the students in over their heads and demand results on the PC. There is no reason to have them read every book and clear every word and drill every process within an inch of their lives before putting them in session and seeing a result. Today there are people who have been in Scientology for years before they ever get or give a session. In 1975-1977 the course rooms were full of co-audits. I mean full. There wasn't anything else going on.
    It was fun too. You gave up bowling or watching TV or doing drugs or whatever because learning to audit and auditing was so much more fun. It didn't have to be ordered or enforced particularly. Yes, sometimes there was CI or out ethics and it wasn't a big deal. You routed to someone who would help you sort things out. If you refused handling you left. No one threatened you or made you guilty. There were occasional flaps but not much drama. We used to say "Scientology isn't for everybody" and just left it at that.

Anyway, as you all know this is a pretty naive and simplistic view of Scientology. There was obviously other stuff going on that I was completely unaware of. But this is my starting point. This is what I observed when I came in as contrasted by what I see today. Both observations are only surface observations. It will take some time to fill in all the stuff. I am coming to realize how my involvement evolved. From here I will continue to unravel what I experienced. This will include joining staff, training at Flag, being offloaded, comm eved, declared, recovered, awarded, applauded, attacked from within and without and bunch of other stuff. It will take some time but I need to get through it.
    Thanks for listening everyone. I'll be back soon.
    Good Twin

I am from the same time period. This is mostly how it was experienced by me as well, including at AOLA and ASHO. Most people were concerned about helping themselves and others.

The flaws in the tech and ethics at that time is a different conversation. They did of course exist and occur.
    The work was free. Keep it so.... Huh?

Oh shi... I thought this was about that great burger franchise in Cali...

(just kidding...)
    “…Never discuss Scientology with the critic. Just discuss his or her crimes, known and unknown. And act completely confident that those crimes exist….” ~L. Ron Hubbard, “Critics of Scientology”, November 5, 1967

The Truth About The Freezone

Quote Originally Posted by Escalus View Post
    Oh shi... I thought this was about that great burger franchise in Cali...

(just kidding...)
    I suppose I could tell the burger story. (note to self - include burger franchise drama)
    GT

Silver Meritorious Patron Colleen K. Peltomaa's Avatar

Default Church of Stops

Quote Originally Posted by Good twin View Post
    Part1 (How I justify becoming a Scientologist)

I first got into Scientology in 1975. The mission was a very busy and exciting place. it also seemed very efficient and organized. It was friendly and the staff were well dressed and looked well taken care of. That's how I remember it and it all gradually morphed into a very surreal and scarey nightmare.

At the mission there were four Class 8 auditors, and at least three Class 6 auditors. There were 4s all over the place, but not in the HGC. Where are the auditors today? Over the past 30 years the products of Scientology have changed into something that would not be recognizable if I hadn't been part of the gradual change. Even in the so called "upstat" Orgs and missions, there are no auditors anymore. Oh there are a few, but not nearly what there was 30 years ago .

See, it used to be that the only training we did was the training of auditors. Selling books was a way to create interest and get people in for training. It also established the criterion of literacy. People who came on course were expected to have read books. That is about the importance of it. On the Comm Course you did TRs. TRs were developed for auditors. You could use them in life and it would increase your ARC with anyone. Becoming an auditor was the solution to any and all personal interactions. There were no life improvement courses. The thing that improves life is auditing. Giving and receiving auditing was not just the main course. It was the entire meal. There wasn't much attention on social reform or PR or anything else.

As a Course Supervisor (grundy can back me up on this) there are a couple of key policies. The Supervisor's Code and Supervisor's Stable Data. Do they even read that anymore? If so how can they justify filling a course room with people reading basic books? The policy says to throw the students in over their heads and demand results on the PC. There is no reason to have them read every book and clear every word and drill every process within an inch of their lives before putting them in session and seeing a result. Today there are people who have been in Scientology for years before they ever get or give a session. In 1975-1977 the course rooms were full of co-audits. I mean full. There wasn't anything else going on.
    It was fun too. You gave up bowling or watching TV or doing drugs or whatever because learning to audit and auditing was so much more fun. It didn't have to be ordered or enforced particularly. Yes, sometimes there was CI or out ethics and it wasn't a big deal. You routed to someone who would help you sort things out. If you refused handling you left. No one threatened you or made you guilty. There were occasional flaps but not much drama. We used to say "Scientology isn't for everybody" and just left it at that.

Anyway, as you all know this is a pretty naive and simplistic view of Scientology. There was obviously other stuff going on that I was completely unaware of. But this is my starting point. This is what I observed when I came in as contrasted by what I see today. Both observations are only surface observations. It will take some time to fill in all the stuff. I am coming to realize how my involvement evolved. From here I will continue to unravel what I experienced. This will include joining staff, training at Flag, being offloaded, comm eved, declared, recovered, awarded, applauded, attacked from within and without and bunch of other stuff. It will take some time but I need to get through it.
    Thanks for listening everyone. I'll be back soon.
    Good Twin
    Yes, yes, yes! You said it, it's all in the auditing! My husband and I cannot get enough auditing. We don't even want to watch movies anymore. We still do watch a movie once in awhile, but I feel fidgety, and just want to get back to the auditing. It's so simple, too. I'm talking especially about Idenics, because I do believe this little process is the gem that we all missed when we joined CofS. It is a latecomer in the broad scientological sense

It's easier to run than Dianetics, no meter required. Just find a friend or loved one who has the same level of interest (so you won't get frustrated if they are not as committed as you). You won't want to quit, and it only gets better once one gets past the awkward stage and drops some of the fixed datum about auditing. It's a blast.

I had to leave the Church of Scientology to get what I was always looking for in the Church of Stops.

I fought the Vikings...and lost

Supervisor's Code and Supervisor's Stable Data. OOOOOHH .. I'll have to append this to my story too

Well, I think this is what made me what I was as a supervisor. When I first got to Flag for Supervisor training, I ended up helping someone on the Mini Sup Course with the Supervisor's Code even though I had just got there. It was the thing you had to completely duplicate and learn verbatim.

Jeff King his name was, from Seattle. He was having a hard time and so Leif, our supervisor, decided to have me (a 15 year old newbie lol) help him, as I was also at Flag for sup training. (I know most people type supe so it gets pronounced correctly, but we always abbreviated it sup!)

The line he was having the hardest time with was #8 - the longest clause.

"The supervisor should be able to answer any question concerning Scientology by directing the student to the actual source of the data. If a supervisor cannot answer a particular question he should always say so, and the supervisor should find the answer to the question from the source and tell the student where the answer is to be found."

Even 21 years later, I know this. I know it completely. It was my specialty. I knew supervisors that when asked a question would just tell the student to find his MU.

Me, I always listened to the students question and if the question was answered in any reference, I would tell the student where to go. I was famous for being able to answer all the tough ones in the blink of an eye. I was accused by the director of training as trying to set myself up as source. She was a supervisor too.

And Supervisor's Stable Data? COMPLETELY IGNORED in this the "Golden Age of Tech" ... DM needs to get crammed.

A link which has both:

http://freezoneamerica.com/Clearbird.../02supcode.htm

Yeah. The Golden Age of Tech. The Tech is Robotics....

GT: I got in Scn around 1989/90, so missed those 'simpler times' of it.

But yeah: The Mission I first went to (in TX) was soooo nice to me, and not pushy at all, then later when I moved, the Mission there was very nice to me and I felt honestly cared for (not just a 'stat').

But when you get to Orgs on up, you feel that you are just a 'stat'. A body to get your money out of and pushed up the bridge,etc..NO fun!:(

The way you described it when someone just wanted to leave, I WISH we could've said that as Reg's to those who didn't want to sign up, sometimes. I used to try it (believing that the R/W concept would work better than the must-havey/desperate flow, anyway). But my Seniors wouldn't have it, of course.
    The night I escaped Staff:
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost....2&postcount=33

I get really tired of hearing about how the lower bridge has value. The lower bridge has the sole purpose of getting the PC to reach for more bridge. The fact that many people improved their circumstances as a result of a good intentioned auditor being interested and caring about his PC is not worth the long term and intended result of Scientology technology. GT

Silver Meritorious Patron Colleen K. Peltomaa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    Supervisor's Code and Supervisor's Stable Data. OOOOOHH .. I'll have to append this to my story too

Well, I think this is what made me what I was as a supervisor. When I first got to Flag for Supervisor training, I ended up helping someone on the Mini Sup Course with the Supervisor's Code even though I had just got there. It was the thing you had to completely duplicate and learn verbatim.

Jeff King his name was, from Seattle. He was having a hard time and so Leif, our supervisor, decided to have me (a 15 year old newbie lol) help him, as I was also at Flag for sup training. (I know most people type supe so it gets pronounced correctly, but we always abbreviated it sup!)

"The supervisor should be able to answer any question concerning Scientology by directing the student to the actual source of the data. If a supervisor cannot answer a particular question he should always say so, and the supervisor should find the answer to the question from the source and tell the student where the answer is to be found."

Even 21 years later, I know this. I know it completely. It was my specialty. I knew supervisors that when asked a question would just tell the student to find his MU.

Me, I always listened to the students question and if the question was answered in any reference, I would tell the student where to go. I was famous for being able to answer all the tough ones in the blink of an eye. I was accused by the director of training as trying to set myself up as source. She was a supervisor too.

And Supervisor's Stable Data? COMPLETELY IGNORED in this the "Golden Age of Tech" ... DM needs to get crammed.

A link which has both:

Now that I think of it the Div 6 Supervisor at FCDC (Steve Lower -spelling?) did just that. I admired him for that.

I fought the Vikings...and lost

Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post

A link which has both:

I was never a sup, and read supervisors stable datum decades ago and forgot it. Its clearly obvious that GAT is in complete violation of this.

The first part below:-

Supervisor's Stable Data
    A Supervisor must never loose sight of what he is trying to accomplish in his students. He must never loose sight of the purpose of auditing and auditors. Auditing is for the preclear; it is designed to improve a preclear's case.

There is thus a primary stable datum about all supervision which isn't covered in the Supervisor's Code:
    1) Get the student to do auditing to the benefit of the pc.
    2) Then get him to accomplish that with better form, speed and accuracy.

Auditing is not just a matter of good form. It has to be for the pc to be beneficial.

The student can be so fixated upon doing it all according to the book so he looses sight of why he is doing it.

Default Part 2 - Becoming a Staff Member

Exactly! Thank you all for your input.
    I was a terrific student. There was nothing else I'd rather do then learn how to audit and audit. I got fabulous results right from the get go and was validated heavily for it. I was going to school full time but Scientology seemed so much more fun and meaningful. I was recruited of course.
    I was told I would make good money as a Course Supervisor (like so many of you here). That didn't matter to me a bit. Truthfully I didn't know what good money was. I had never supported myself and figured I always had Mom and Dad to fall back on anyway. It turned out to be true. My parents were very supportive. (they were used to me starting things and quitting things and so on) I found some Scientologists who needed a roommate and I packed myself up and moved to be close to the mission.
    My first day on staff was disturbing. After signing my contract I was shown the reference on "Freeloaders". It was scarey. It made the five years I just agreed to seem like forever. This meant I couldn't be a quitter anymore. I vowed to end my dilletante ways and buckle down and keep a commitment for a change. I reasoned that when I go clear I will stay clear forever. Five years probably wasn't enough. I was honored to be allowed into the fold.
    Okay, that wasn't the disturbing part. I was routed to staff muster. I was shown to my seat and on the table in front of my seat was a copy of the Expanded Non Existence Formula. I sat through muster not really understanding anything and then I read the formula. For the rest of the day it seemed like no one would talk to me or even look at me. It was just really weird. Finally I realized that they were just forcing me to apply the formula and I did, but it felt really weird. I already had a comm line with each of the staff before I joined staff, but now that I was a staff member they treated me like I didn't exist, which of course I didn't (from their point of view). Of course doing the formula worked perfectly and I was soon moving through conditions formulas expertly. I got through my Staff Statuses and Sup training quickly and had some great wins. I was so excited because I was helping in the course room at night and was implementing what I was learning as I studied. I could see that as a Course Supervisor I would be even more valuable then I had felt as an auditor. (I was auditing some of the staff on weekends too, just to help get some of their advance programs up to date) I was told that my test scores were impressive and that I had an extremely high IQ. The mission holder told me that they were planning on sending someone to Flag for training and I might be the most qualified person they had. Of course I was thrilled. Before long I found out that I was being sent to Flag for training.
    Okay, hindsight being what it is, I can now see what is wrong with this picture. There is a mission full of people who have been working on various posts and performing various duties and have proven themselves, etc etc. This new kid comes in and takes a battery of tests and gets to go to training at Flag. I suppose they hated me (or should have), but everyone was very nice. I never heard a word of resentment. To tell you the truth, there are lots of examples of this kind of stuff and no one ever complained. I was on staff for 3 months and a newly trained MCSC when I was sent to the new Flag Land Base. It had just arrived in Clearwater and Scientologists didn't even know where it was. I was so excited. This was going to be the adventure of a lifetime. I was going to be part of the elite club of Flag trainees.
    Hold on the ride is going to get bumpy ....
    Good Twin

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast