Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Battle Of Britain - 1974

Blog Entries

Default Re: Battle Of Britain - 1974

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Thanks, John Harry, for the timely reminders of LRH abuse.

Sometimes I feel I'm bashing my head against a brick wall with the current blame everything on DM ethos.

Ron's psychosis always attracted bullies like Sibersky. DM is just the later similar on the chain of bullies!

Yes Panda, the Battle of Britain was very nazi-like. Just a more overt dramatisation of that which has always been inherent in Hubbard's cult.
    Yes, all true.
    Sibersky probably ran the BOB exactly how Ron would have done it himself. After he left, the style was carried on by many others. I recall how Wendell Reynolds turned from a very likeable friendly chap into an "unreasonable" Nazi, and even Ira Chaleff became for years a hard but smiling bastard. Though I'd like to point out Ira later returned to his more loveable self.

I've got no bad feelings left now. I enjoy reading this thread and I have pleasant memories of nearly every person mentioned, certainly all who have posted here.

LRH should be about 26 now, eh? I note he is AWOL as the Leave of Absence is only for 21 years. Keeping his head down? I would.

2. Likes Ogsonofgroo, Kutta, solo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Reading this thread another odd little memory came back. During the summer after Battle of Britain I popped into the barn behind the Stables on the way back from beans and rice, for a shot on a drumkit someone had set up there.

In a pile of old jumble in a corner I found a big blue dusty volume called the Urantia Book. My brother Ali and I were electrified by all this information about archangels and celestial beings here to supervise, guide and save our little old planet.

We happened to mention it to Peter Whitehouse, who was the newly appointed first Assistant Guardian for Saint Hill, idly speculating that maybe Ron had overlooked his own guidebook in the hasty departure for Rhodesia? Peter came back, white-faced, less than an hour later, grabbed the book and ordered us "not a word to anyone!"

I wonder how much material from that book found its way into the Flounder's own work? Only one who has read the confidential stuff would be able to tell.

Incidentally, I wouldn't waste much time on the Urantia Book, folks. Nah.

4. Likes Kutta liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Another ramble

Quote Originally Posted by Operating Lambda View Post
    Thank you all for your responses and helpful information. The only reason I'm enquiring about Brian Wingate is we (London Day approx. 60 staff) spent trillions of dollars and went pay-less to send this guy to Flag, as my replacement, to do OEC/FEBC. Rumour is he only survived a couple of months as ED London Day before being removed by an S.O. mission. I was long gone by then (though still a loyal Scn). This would have been 1977-1978. Anyone have any info about his tenure at HSOL?

On to more interesting stuff:

Another ramble—involving Peter Buttery, Pedro Doria, Pam Thorne/Hurwitz, Diana Hopkins/Coventry c.1971-1972.

brilliant, brutal and sexual tag-team regging cycle by Pamela Thorne/Hurwitz and S.O. Missionaire Diana Coventry/Hopkins.

At least I got to sleep with Diana but I can't say it was worth 40,000 quid. We actually had a quite protracted and intense affair. Once again, apologies to her then husband, Ron "Hoppy" Hopkins.

Sorry, Hoppy, I was carried away.

JHW

P.S. I know Hoppy got caught up in the Nazi thing, as did all the CLO and even our local org execs (notably Pam and Jay Hurwitz and Lesley Farrow/Woodcraft). Yes they have sins to atone for.

More to come,

JHW
    JHW, great material, brilliant writing style. Very enjoyable. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post

He had an eye for the ladies, and married probably the most gorgeous scientologist in the UK.
    Oh, I don't know, Terril. There were an awful lot of stunners to choose from at that time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    I was summoned to see him in External Comm, just up from the solarium where I worked. He accused me of being rude to his wife, Maggie. I was just being my natural self, which wasn't much in 1974. He asked me my post, and I replied "Dir Disbursements." He snarled "Dir Disbursements WHAT?" I responded, "Dir Disbursements AOSH, SH Foundation and GOWW."

I'd been drilling TRs and wasn't going to have this Nazi throw them out, so kept my TR-0 in. He growled in disgust and pushed me backwards off balance as I couldn't step backwards with a cardboard box at my heels.

Now, I remembered that there was basically a wall of soft cardboard boxes behind me, so just gracefully sank backwards, keeping my TR-0 in on him the whole time, which was very satisfying in a no-effect-on-me-you-fucker way and he stormed out.

It was only afterwards that I realized he had wanted me to say, "Dir Disbursements, Sir!" I was still somewhat green back then.

Paul

EDIT: Whoops. I was Bills Payments Preparing Officer, not Dir Disbursements.
    Excellent stuff, Paul. Them days nobody had the hard cold TRO-in stare better than you.
    When I couldn't take any more of Alex's nonsense, I went down to the lake, over a fence on to a farm and went to sleep in some long grass. till shifted by a couple of farmers out shooting with shotguns.
    Couldn't even blow in these days. Ivis would send a Bring Order crew down to EG railway station and Kris Buckeridge would be out scouting all the country lanes in a Morris Minor. Amazing, the more you recall, the more you recall!

8. Likes Kutta, Ogsonofgroo, xseaorguk, solo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSneakster View Post
    If (a) you were not Sea Org crew and (b) he was not a Right Arm Rate, then he was not entitled to any officer courtesies from you in any case per Flag Orders.
    Hem, hem, Sneakster, I think you'll find F038 requires a Rating to address anything from PO3 up as "Sir". Even if it's a woman doing Roll Call the correct response is "Aye, Sir".
    Last edited by Free Will; 13th April 2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Get the FO number right!

Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by Free Will View Post
    Hem, hem, Sneakster, I think you'll find F038 requires a Rating to address anything from PO3 up as "Sir". Even if it's a woman doing Roll Call the correct response is "Aye, Sir".
    Good grief Will, how come you remember all this detail? It's all a blur to me....... Brilliant!

Great to see you around, by the way!

Solo

Silver Meritorious Patron
    Blog Entries

Very good to see you back in action, Will. I love the bit about you going for a sleep in the long grass. Now why didn't I think of that?
    Innocue vivito: Live harmlessly.
    Numen adest: The spirit is close

12. Likes Ogsonofgroo, xseaorguk liked this post

Smile Re: Battle Of Britain - 1974

Quote Originally Posted by still here View Post
    I think I can cast some light on where this thread has wound up.....I did in fact join the SO after the Battle of Britain June 1976 (I remember Mick Wenlock arriving with June Turner!!)
    However I was that LRH Comm Manchester (although an SO member working in Manchester Org due to my family situation... another story) who finding a desperate Harvey J trying to get back in assisted and monitored his A - E to get him back on lines/staff.
    (Probably my biggest crime this century - but not my most stupid.. cos then I married him!! - despite all my friends and seniors at FLUK warning me not too.....(Oh well I was young...)
    I did however have a very successful career in the SO - I never shouted at anyone (I still don't) and was never shouted at.
    As Harvey progressed he tried once coming into my office and yelling - but like all bullies he was an abject coward and immediately shrivelled when no fear was shown...I said in my very controlled low voice -"Don't you EVER come in here and shout at or try to bully me - now get out - I'm busy" (he left instantly)
    Our marriage was short lived....and wanted me to stay with him long after I knew it was over. (as was my time there)
    I think I decided to go when the David Mayo thing broke - if LRHs own auditor had been an SP what possible chance did anyone else have of spotting them ???
    Then - overnight the GO vanished!!
    I organised my way our of the SO after completing very successful missions - and doing the job Harvey must have taken over from me - (he was on the RPF and not formally in the SO at that time)
    On all my posts I got the best out of staff by NOT shouting at the EDs - or staff! and that still works.
    (ask Rai Mathieson) I got on fine with Craig.
    I had a few medical problems and forced them to Fitness board me - then I left (before waiting to route out) I think they were probably too embarrassed to talk much about it. Oddly some time later Harvey called me and asked if I would go in and sort out Manchester Org.... I refused.
    I should confirm - nothing about me is cowed!
    Just before I left, a new mission arrived - one Flag Missionnaire hauled me in (I was sick in bed for a day and he sent someone to stables to get me up to SH to see him - I refused and said I am ill - if I wasn't I would be there - how stupid are you??)
    I turned up the next day and he was not impressed - so as soon as he started I said -
    "Look, don't threaten me with conditions etc, I have cleaned many toilets and peeled carrots before - doesn't bother me - in fact it is easier than my current post - so help yourself - assign me to it - but I should point out my stats are up, and I am good at what I do, but its your call and I really don't give a damm....".
    He said nothing except - "you can go", and that was the end of that!
    I have made a science out of handling bullies......(and it has served me well)
    Anyway - I had lots of people there that I liked Stables was quite fun then I remember parties, Eric Ballard making beer in the airing cupboard and lots of fun!
    Well sorry for the rant - hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it!
    Just read your great post and I am impressed with your abilities mainly the handling of bullies. Nice.

14. Likes Ogsonofgroo liked this post

Thank you TD!

Re Bullies- I once got some good advice - we can all feel scared and intimidated/humiliated - the feeling is natural and what the bully is aiming for, however although you "Feel" things it does not mean you have to act on them.

I have had a long career since and all my staff have been amazed that over years I have never reacted, lost my temper or attacked back. This does mean that I don't feel furious/angry/murderous etc....I just accept it - then calm down - take some time, then respod - sanely...
    You do need to let them know early on that you will not respond in the way they want, (by not doing) then inform them, calmly that you will not tolerate this behaviour.

Bullies are often the way they are because that is how they have been treated/taught by other stronger bullies...underneath they are insecure, scared, and feel powerless - all you have to do is know that. (sad, damaged little people really)
    Disclaimer: No connection to any "little bullies" alive or dead intended.

Do I know you be the way? Do PM me if you like.
    Still here.

16. Thanks teadreamer says "thank you" for this post
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast