Thread: The Sonya Bianca fiasco

Rest in Peace

Default The Sonya Bianca fiasco

What I don't understand about the mind of L. Ron Hubbard is the Sonya Bianca fiasco at the Shrine auditorium when he showed her off as the world's first Clear. Did he really think she could come up with the goods as a Clear when he himself could not. Did he think it would all go right or something? What was he thinking?

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RolandRB View Post
    What I don't understand about the mind of L. Ron Hubbard is the Sonya Bianca fiasco at the Shrine auditorium when he showed her off as the world's first Clear. Did he really think she could come up with the goods as a Clear when he himself could not. Did he think it would all go right or something? What was he thinking?
    That's a very good point, Roland. All I can think of is that he organized the event weeks, maybe months ahead, believing that he could just knock out the remaining imperfections in her before the great day. And as the day approached, and she still didn't measure up, he decided that continuing with the event--in the hope that he could somehow bullshit his way through it--was better than the certainty of adverse publicity if he cancelled it.

Paul

3. Likes everfree liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    That's a very good point, Roland. All I can think of is that he organized the event weeks, maybe months ahead, believing that he could just knock out the remaining imperfections in her before the great day. And as the day approached, and she still didn't measure up, he decided that continuing with the event--in the hope that he could somehow bullshit his way through it--was better than the certainty of adverse publicity if he cancelled it.

Paul
    My impression is that Hubbard actually thought he could just bull his way through reality and *force* it to comply with His Will. No number of demonstrations to the contrary disabused Him of the notion.

Another example that comes to mind was a tale told by a 'former' Scientologist who performed some 'contract work' for Scientology during the Apollo period. I can't remember his name (Patrick Jost?) so it's hard to find the story googling, but, broken down, this guy was contacted by 'Church' operatives to do some service, which he did, but then the 'Church' tried to welsh on the payment, since Hubbard considered it excessive.

Hubbard Himself showed up, with cohorts to dazzle the guy into submission, and he agreed to demonstrate His powers (or, the power of Scientology) by auditing one of the flunkies into speaking Farsi (after finding a 'past life'.)

Beyond some stage-chinglish nonsense, it didn't work, the guy kept his pay, but, Hubbard seemed to actually *think* it would work, whether because of His ability to 'cloud men's minds' or a sincere belief that he could 'audit' someone into linguistics.

Anyway, it's a hilarious story, sounds credible and includes lots of keystone-kops type 'hide the check' stuff, so, I wish I could find it again.

Zinj

Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Zinjifar View Post
    My impression is that Hubbard actually thought he could just bull his way through reality and *force* it to comply with His Will. No number of demonstrations to the contrary disabused Him of the notion.

Another example that comes to mind was a tale told by a 'former' Scientologist who performed some 'contract work' for Scientology during the Apollo period. I can't remember his name (Patrick Jost?) so it's hard to find the story googling, but, broken down, this guy was contacted by 'Church' operatives to do some service, which he did, but then the 'Church' tried to welsh on the payment, since Hubbard considered it excessive.

Hubbard Himself showed up, with cohorts to dazzle the guy into submission, and he agreed to demonstrate His powers (or, the power of Scientology) by auditing one of the flunkies into speaking Farsi (after finding a 'past life'.)

Beyond some stage-chinglish nonsense, it didn't work, the guy kept his pay, but, Hubbard seemed to actually *think* it would work, whether because of His ability to 'cloud men's minds' or a sincere belief that he could 'audit' someone into linguistics.

Anyway, it's a hilarious story, sounds credible and includes lots of keystone-kops type 'hide the check' stuff, so, I wish I could find it again.

Zinj
    That's fascinating. It is like he was living on two levels at once -- his imagination and the real world -- and that they coincided for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandRB View Post
    That's fascinating. It is like he was living on two levels at once -- his imagination and the real world -- and that they coincided for him.
    I first noticed this in 1962 in East Grinstead when he would ride around on his Harley, wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy shirt. Trying to fit in with the natives.

One time he came up to the East Grinstead Cricket Club to watch me play cricket and take some photos........he had a 1/2 dozen cameras and lenses, etc., - I introduced him to our cricket team and we invited him for tea......it was hilarious to watch him try and hold a conversation with a cup of tea in his hand.

He was voice was loud and booming, his american accent was so broad....not at all proper.....I cringed within.:o :o :o

Alan
    Last edited by Moderator 1; 27th October 2012 at 02:48 AM.

Boston- Ignalina-Panevezys-Kupiskis-Latgale-

Comeon alan,I thought you were going to then tell us you were
    then sent to the RPF not shortly afterwards because LRH was mad
    he hadn't learned cricket and perhaps felt you hadn't taught him
    properly...or didn't write a bulletin on how to play cricket.:D

I was waiting impatiently on the edge of my chair, in suspense:eek:

Must of been because of the movies I watched on Xenutv.

just kidding,it was a funny story about LRH.

Patron with Honors

Default Re: The Sonya Bianca fiasco

One thing you can say about LRH is he tended to learn from his conning failures .He did'nt make the mistake of public tests again he switched from pretending to be a "man of science " to spooky whole track mumbo jumbo that was a lot harder to disprove .He also had a talent for retooling his act and rose from the ashes many times usually after something stupid he did like the Bianco fiasco or the Dianetic foundation bankruptcy .I think he always understood within his own mind that it was all a con although toward the end he probably started to believe his own shore stories.Hubbard also knew how to get good talented people to work hard for him and this saved him many times despite the fact that he treated them so badly.