Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is the CofS generating new members?

Default How is the CofS generating new members?

I was just wondering where new members to the church are coming from in this day and age? I mean in this information age, if I were in a position where I was looking to join a new religion, I would probably research it thoroughly first. One would think that anyone who spends more than a few minutes researching the church on the Internet for instance would have serious concerns about what they may be getting into! I would hope that with all the information out there, anyone with an ounce of sense would run very fast in the opposite direction.

Gold Meritorious Patron gomorrhan's Avatar

Ah, but what about those of us who only had a few hundred micrograms of sense? I guess we'd still be ass out.

Gold Meritorious Patron thetanic's Avatar

Have you seen The Matrix?

Where the white stars fairly blaze at midnight in the cold and frosty sky

Welcome Cannon Fodder!

It is clearly a problem for them. Also with the exodus occurring the church could be walking into a period of rapid contraction. It is totally geared for expansion and has incurred a lot of expense (albeit their publics) in acquiring new orgs etc. So I don't know how they will maintain the facade in the mid term future.
    Kevin Bloody Mackey

The Story of my Bridge to OT VII

"I'm not angry anymore, as more and more people rediscover their true selves through Scientology, together we WILL achieve a world without war, crime, and insanity." Rex Fowler, OTVII, before shooting his ex-partner three times in the head and then himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
    I was just wondering where new members to the church are coming from in this day and age? I mean in this information age, if I were in a position where I was looking to join a new religion, I would probably research it thoroughly first. One would think that anyone who spends more than a few minutes researching the church on the Internet for instance would have serious concerns about what they may be getting into! I would hope that with all the information out there, anyone with an ounce of sense would run very fast in the opposite direction.
    From my experience, the OT committees are pushed VERY hard to get out and do stress tests, sell books, etc. They go to many fairs, or other local events and very public areas. I have seen them in shopping malls, etc.

If you want to move up the OT levels, your participation is actually a requirement. You must bring in new members. I still receive weekly requests on my stats that I have for booksales, new starts, hours of contributions. If you are on OT7 and don't contribute enough, ethics is the answer, until you restate how you will contribute in a lengthy condition formula, donate more, and then once you return back home, it is a REQUIREMENT to be part of the local OT committee.

Also from what I've seen, the basics are now the primary tool used for recovery. It is the push everywhere that the Basics are the solution. Every win that is sent for L's or OTVIII credits the basics. That has opened up the old public that has been off lines, and the major push is recovery, recovery, recovery.

Silver Meritorious Patron klidov's Avatar

Hey Cannon Fodder! Welcome

O.K.-it works like this:

I bought a book off of Amazon. For a few dollars (I think) a factory sealed copy of the History of Man.

Next thing you know my mailbox is STUFFED with mail from the Co$. Discussion with Amazon revealed that I bought the book from BRIDGE PUBLISHING (wtg, right? ) and the cult claimed I sent in the postcards asking for add'l information.

Now I get mail addressed to "Fellow Scientologist". I have never been a $ci, but I bet their numbers went up by one.

That's how they get new members :D
    Last edited by klidov; 27th September 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: fix'd
    I HAVE LOVED THE STARS TOO FONDLY TO BE FEARFUL OF THE NIGHT-SARAH WILLIAMS

I WOULD RATHER AN HONEST ENEMY, THAN A FALSE FRIEND-author unknown

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.

Gold Meritorious Patron

I honestly don't think they are. If so, it's very few new members and it's those who don't have computers and listen and believe every word told to them from "church" members.:D

Oops. Welcome to ESMB!!

Default Lack of expansion

I believe expansion for the CoS is a real big problem. I spoke with a business colleague yesterday for the first time about Scn and immediately he originated "Oh that the Zenu stuff".

The internet and freedom of speach must really piss DM off.

Patron with Honors

Yep it's a HUGE problem - the only people I've seen come in the front door recently have been Internet illiterate. I've lost count of the people who are surprised Mm D'Teque and self are $cions because "you are so nice and normal." When I quietly tell them now we are EX-$cions, the smiles are HUGE!!!

Patron with Honors

Default Sorry!!!

Apologies for my bad manners, Cannon Fodder - WELCOME!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast