Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is the CofS generating new members?

Hi Cannon fodder. Guess you are being ironic with the nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    Hi Cannon fodder. Guess you are being ironic with the nick.
    Thanks for the welcome all.

As for the nick: I always try to cover any possible bases

@OP

I've often wondered the same. Everyone knows that Internet searches exist, most know of Google and most of those know how to use it. (type in your curiosity, click search)

I Google everything. If I'm going to buy something from a vendor online, I'll Google them to find out what people have said about them. If I was doing something as big as joining a faith, I'd most certainly Google it. A lot. I suppose that's why they're targeting Africa, India and Russia more now.

Off topic: I got my nick because I was eating yoghurt when I registered!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoghurt View Post
    @OP

I've often wondered the same. Everyone knows that Internet searches exist, most know of Google and most of those know how to use it. (type in your curiosity, click search)

I Google everything. If I'm going to buy something from a vendor online, I'll Google them to find out what people have said about them. If I was doing something as big as joining a faith, I'd most certainly Google it. A lot. I suppose that's why they're targeting Africa, India and Russia more now.

Off topic: I got my nick because I was eating yoghurt when I registered!
    How many people who get involved with Scientology are looking for a "faith"? Most are trying to deal with a difficulty in their life. They probably come across a Scientology publication of some sort, and it progresses from there.

You're thinking with the end result (Scientologists), without giving any thought to the steps it takes to get there. I've never met anybody who woke up one day and thought "you know what, I think I'll become a Scientologist".

Neo

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    How many people who get involved with Scientology are looking for a "faith"? Most are trying to deal with a difficulty in their life. They probably come across a Scientology publication of some sort, and it progresses from there.

You're thinking with the end result (Scientologists), without giving any thought to the steps it takes to get there. I've never met anybody who woke up one day and thought "you know what, I think I'll become a Scientologist".

Neo
    Fair comment. My point still stands though: These days, Google stuff.

Fair comment. My point still stands though: These days, Google stuff.
    I wasn't referring to "these days". I was referring to when we all got involved.
    And don't be so arrogant. I'm sure you have erred in judgment once or twice.
    As good as Google may be "these days" it still can't solve all the world's problems.

Neo

Don't be grumpy, Neo. The thread itself is referring to new members these days, which is what I was replying to. No one was talking about the era when you joined.

Read the OP again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
    I was just wondering where new members to the church are coming from in this day and age? I mean in this information age, if I were in a position where I was looking to join a new religion, I would probably research it thoroughly first. One would think that anyone who spends more than a few minutes researching the church on the Internet for instance would have serious concerns about what they may be getting into! I would hope that with all the information out there, anyone with an ounce of sense would run very fast in the opposite direction.
    So, my point still stands.

Gold Meritorious Patron thetanic's Avatar

The thread itself is referring to new members these days, which is what I was replying to. No one was talking about the era when you joined.
    I was an "early adopter" so there were BBSes back in the day, but I never saw any reference to Scientology.

I'm guessing that they are mostly getting people who aren't internet savvy, and there's plenty of them.

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yoghurt, you'll find they don't get many new member at all.
    They have been juicing the older members for years now. Many of those older members are starting to figure it all out now.

Don't be grumpy, Neo. The thread itself is referring to new members these days, which is what I was replying to. No one was talking about the era when you joined.

Read the OP again:

So, my point still stands.
    Not grumpy. Just clarifying my point. Which does still apply to people today, although as you point out, they have the benefit of Google. If they use it.

As for your point - new public into Scientology would be negligible. The sustained negative publicity they have received this year has impacted on their ability to recruit enormously. And believe me - I am not grumpy about that!

Neo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast