Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark V vs Mark VII

Default Re: Mark V vs Mark VII

Quote Originally Posted by revicamc View Post
    ... 2) From what I understand, since the auditor is not looking for the absolute
    resistance value of the subject(PC), but rather the at the movement
    of the needle, would designing a device using OP-AMPS wired to calculate
    the velocity (derivative(differential)) of the needle make more sense (if
    any of this makes sense) than sending the output from the Whetstone
    Bridge straight to the needle?
    To what end? Humans don't natively process numbers. They require visual or auditory cues, such as are provided by needle movements or audible frequency tones, to assimilate this sort of information.

Secondly, it's been done. Search for computer emeters/gsr devices online.

There are a variety of devices readily available for capture & processing of gsr data digitally. Popular among such devices are those which simulate a needle movement as a visual display on a computer. They have the distinct advantage over a genuine meter movement of being 'massless' and not suffering from the innate inaccuracies associated with the inertial phenomena characteristic of a physical meter with a needle movement.

Mark A. Baker
    "Hubbard is alive and well. He lives through his
    creations."
    - Purple Rain

"Because nothing has the be true forever. Just for long enough, to tell you the truth."

- T. Pratchett, The Truth

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. Baker View Post
    There are a variety of devices readily available for capture & processing of gsr data digitally. Popular among such devices are those which simulate a needle movement as a visual display on a computer. They have the distinct advantage over a genuine meter movement of being 'massless' and not suffering from the innate inaccuracies associated with the inertial phenomena characteristic of a physical meter with a needle movement.
    Hey Mark, have you seen my brainwaves thread? I'm wondering about doing a FFT analysis of the digital data of an F/N, maybe using something like this FFT calculator, to see if an F/N is a composite of a few slow (<5 Hz) sine-type waves. Any ideas? (Preferably answer on that thread.)

Pau
    PaulsRobot Iconic now available for use at www.PaulsRobot2.com. With Auto-Report. Video here. Introductory post here. Debug post here. Dipoles post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    Hey Mark, have you seen my brainwaves thread? I'm wondering about doing a FFT analysis of the digital data of an F/N, maybe using something like this FFT calculator, to see if an F/N is a composite of a few slow (<5 Hz) sine-type waves. Any ideas? (Preferably answer on that thread.)

Pau
    Not really beyond the thought that it is an interesting idea. I haven't worked with FFTs for 20 years and when I last did it was still very much a question of 'roll your own' as far as software was concerned. All my algorithm references are currently in storage too.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the nature of the results is highly dependent on the quality of the input. I wouldn't put too strong a reliance on any results without clear certainty on the accuracy of the initial measurements and the computing tolerances of the software algorithms. From your description the equipment sounds like it is 'interesting novelty item' rather than lab grade. Also, FFT is computationally intensive mathematics. I assume that modern processors & storage likely greatly reduce the time it takes to process simple streams. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have a cup of coffee or tea handy while it's cranking just in case.

Good luck.

Mark A. Baker
    "Hubbard is alive and well. He lives through his
    creations."
    - Purple Rain

"Because nothing has the be true forever. Just for long enough, to tell you the truth."

- T. Pratchett, The Truth

4. Thanks Dulloldfart says "thank you" for this post

I've been toying with the idea of making a USB "meter" in my head the last few weeks - I figure it should be easy enough as its possible to buy USB wheatstone bridges, it might take some additions or tweaks but the only hard part would the software - but since I'm a professional C++ programmer getting a "basic" meter up and running that just works like a physical one should not be too hard, but what I would really like to do is write software that auto-adjusts the tone arm, sensitivity and auto-detects needle movement - step two would be to also record things like what word or phrase seemed to trigger the needle movement and to have it automatically go through trees of topics which could loop or branch based on needle movement.

I also have a MindWave EEG headset ( http://store.neurosky.com/products/mindset ) which I would love to experiment with to see if it gives useful data during auditing (if nothing else one of its outputs in addition to delta/gamma/etc waves is your level of focus - which could be very useful to an automated auditor)

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by kate8024 View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of making a USB "meter" in my head the last few weeks
    That would be pretty nifty. Do you stick the can leads in your ear and have a USB jack in your tongue?

(sorry)

Paul
    PaulsRobot Iconic now available for use at www.PaulsRobot2.com. With Auto-Report. Video here. Introductory post here. Debug post here. Dipoles post here.

This one goes in your mouth.
    This one goes in your ear.
    This one goes in your bum.

[Machine gives error beeps]
    [Attendant fumbles with the 3 probes figuring out which is which]

Ok, _this_ one goes in your mouth

(that's from Idiocracy btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    That would be pretty nifty. Do you stick the can leads in your ear and have a USB jack in your tongue?
    Actually it could probably be made to fit inside one can, then just have its usb cable and a lead to the other can, since the hardware consists of on the order of a single IC (at least as I envision it in my head lol, I'm pretty sure this exists already anyway). I've mostly been thinking about the awesome features I could build into the software more than the hardware design - of course in my musings I am ignoring all the fighting with writing a USB driver for it and such that will have to happen as well ;-)

(that's from Idiocracy btw)
    I actually watched the whole of that movie in one of my lowbrow phases. The one saving grace is that I didn't have to pay for it.

Paul

Actually it could probably be made to fit inside one can, then just have its usb cable and a lead to the other can, since the hardware consists of on the order of a single IC (at least as I envision it in my head lol, I'm pretty sure this exists already anyway). I've mostly been thinking about the awesome features I could build into the software more than the hardware design - of course in my musings I am ignoring all the fighting with writing a USB driver for it and such that will have to happen as well ;-)
    I got a Theta-Meter Nano a couple of weeks ago. The meter is about the size of a regular thumb drive and plugs straight into a USB port. A regular 3.5mm plug goes in one end, and there is a lead to a solo can, which is well-made.

The manufacturer (Mikhail, who is very good at staying in comm over Skype, by the way), might be interested in additional programming for it. His email address is on this Theta-meter page, and his English is pretty good.

There are no photos of the Nano meter on this site yet, by the way.

The software isn't bad, and its trace seems to be the best of the internet meters I have seen. There are two things I would like to see in the software which aren't there yet:

1. A circular dial like Ralph's C-Meter so the needle never goes off the dial. See this video for an example:

The Theta-meter like the Clarity meter has a jackass reset motion like on a physical meter, where when the needle touches a pin it jerks back to set. That is just asisine in my opinion for a software meter. Ralph got it right.

2. A recording capability. An earlier version of the software had it, which recorded both the reads and the audio, so the session could be played back later. But the current software doesn't have it.

Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123