Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Need repair for Mark V Circuit Board

Default Re: Need repair for Mark V Circuit Board

Hi for all
    I am new in this forum, but the reason to get here is because I've got an old Mark V, and of course it doesn't work.
    The list of damages are:
    -very very old batteries, changed with 5+1 NiCd battery set...
    -missing charger, tryed to build the schematics, try to use a home made charger, doesn't charge the battery...
    -missing cans and setting resistors, using homemade 5k and 12.5K resistors. Some reactions starting from 6 TA
    -on/off swith only one part is working, try to use an external switch for this...
    I've tryed to us the the procedure described above, no success
    I anybody has an ideea what type is this, or somebody succeded to repair this, please give me some advice.
    ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4062.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	6371 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4063.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	6372

Quote Originally Posted by petike779 View Post
    Hi for all
    I am new in this forum, but the reason to get here is because I've got an old Mark V, and of course it doesn't work.
    The list of damages are:
    -missing charger, tryed to build the schematics, try to use a home made charger, doesn't charge the battery...
    -missing cans and setting resistors, using homemade 5k and 12.5K resistors. Some reactions starting from 6 TA
    -on/off swith only one part is working, try to use an external switch for this...
    I anybody has an ideea what type is this, or somebody succeded to repair this, please give me some advice.

Okay, photo 2, would be checking top 2 tracks, looks like 2 cracks in top track 1 in the next one down, unless it's a lighting illusion.
    Check bottom left corner for dry joints and/or cracks under the left pot.

1st photo, jumper wire crossing over R3, check no unauthorized contact. Also, being such a large loose wire, check the soldered joints too. Looks good under there, but.

Test signal diodes next to the pot on the right. Tend to fail with age.

De solder connecting wires to pots and test them, dunno, but the left pot looks a little hinky.

I'm not an expert, but does it help?

Dry joints and track cracks seem to be common probs on old boards.

Have you checked the Germ trannys? Old tech, silicon NPN seems to be the vogue these days. Germanium drooped into the background in the 70s. Surprised they still make them.

But they still make valves (tubes) too. Military love them and musicians love them in their amps.

Gold Meritorious Patron Udarnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fixer View Post
    Okay, photo 2, would be checking top 2 tracks, looks like 2 cracks in top track 1 in the next one down, unless it's a lighting illusion.

1st photo, jumper wire crossing over R3, check no unauthorized contact. Also, being such a large loose wire, check the soldered joints too. Looks good under there, but.

De solder connecting wires to pots and test them, dunno, but the left pot looks a little hinky.

Have you checked the Germ trannys? Old tech, silicon NPN seems to be the vogue these days. Germanium drooped into the background in the 70s. Surprised they still make them.

But they still make valves (tubes) too. Military love them and musicians love them in their amps.

There's no quantum noise on a tube set, so real hi fi geeks and serious musicians love them. The Russians used to be the major supplier, but the market has opened up.

Even though they are physically more fragile than solid state, they are also naturally hardened against EMP from nukes and other sources, so the military has backup commo gear using them. Sometimes primary gear, too.
    Imagine, if you will, a load of horseshit. And we’re not talking just your average load of horseshit; no, we’re talking colossal load of horseshit. An epic load of horseshit. The kind of load of horseshit that has accreted over decades and has developed its own sort of ecosystem, from the flyblown chunks at the perimeter, down into the heated and decomposing center, generating explosive levels of methane as bacteria feast merrily on vintage, liquified crap... -- John Scalzi

Patron Meritorious Tom of Helatrobus's Avatar

Hi for all
    The list of damages are:

Can give you some tips on getting cheap cans.

Everything else I know, I've mentioned earlier in the post. An electronics engineer should be able to fix the problems. Maybe take it to a tv repair place and get an estimate.

I've got a sledgehammer that will fix that motherfucker up real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fixer View Post

Hi
    Thanks for your answers...
    No, I am afraid that there are no cracks, or other physically problems... I believe that only electrical issues...
    In the mean time I've made some reverse engineering after discovered the original schematics pattented by LRH... Here is with my corrections:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MARKV SCHEMATIC.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	6378
    Of course after creating from my own:

Name:	MARK V SCHEMATICS 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	6379
    So, if this helps somebody....
    I need to make 2 cans and some free time to finish repairs...
    Any new ideas are welcome...
    Thanks for everybody

@petike779, Ok, as far as I understand there are no mechanical issues with this board as you’ve described twice earlier but what electrical issues are you exactly referring to? How does the circuit react when an input is applied? This type of a circuit can only be examined when it is in one’s hands along with a multi-meter and oscilloscope. Taking it to your nearest electronics repairing station will save your time. I’ve tried to go through the reversed schematics but I can’t actually be sure till the circuit is physically present. Anyways, please do let us know what happens. Hopefully we’ll be able to help you in future.

Did you get anywhere with your repairs? I am currently trying to build a unit from your pics and schematic but could use some help with teh wiring and switches if you can help.

Hi
    Thanks for your answers...
    No, I am afraid that there are no cracks, or other physically problems... I believe that only electrical issues...
    In the mean time I've made some reverse engineering after discovered the original schematics pattented by LRH... Here is with my corrections:

Name:	MARKV SCHEMATIC.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	6378
    Of course after creating from my own:

Name:	MARK V SCHEMATICS 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	6379
    So, if this helps somebody....
    I need to make 2 cans and some free time to finish repairs...
    Any new ideas are welcome...
    Thanks for everybody

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456