A few thoughts on Cults

Discussion in 'Cults in General' started by Lovesnightsky, Jan 18, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lovesnightsky

Lovesnightsky Silver Meritorious Patron

How does a group get into the minds of people who are normal, everyday citizens and intelligent beings? A cult can get you into their ranks without you even realizing it.

The Cult provides somewhere to belong. The most intelligent, the brightest, the most sensitive and kindest people feel left out of today’s society. It is hard for an above average woman, for example, to be satisfied with a mundane job, shopping for clothes and shoes and watching television every night. While her workmates and friends talk about the latest Desperate Housewives episode, or the latest diet fad. It is difficult for an above average man to feel satisfied with his daily work routine, sports, beer, poker nights and living the rat race. They watch as from a distance, joining in only superficially, and feeling alone and left out. Different.

Feeling different is one of the first things the cult will prey on. When someone feels different they want to fit in somewhere. They want to find a group which will make them feel at home, a group which will understand them and talk about things that matter.

Another thing the group will focus on is making the person feel validated, important, needed and indispensable. All of the sudden the person will feel that what they are doing matters. That what they are involved in will make a difference in the world, that it will possibly not only save them but save those dear to them and possibly the world.

The group will share a very important reality with the person. From being someone who was an outsider, finally here is a group that shares interests and a reality that the normal outsiders cannot see and cannot comprehend.

The group will also provide stability. Now there is a schedule, plan, timetable and common goal. The group will be strong and normally be led by a mother or father figure who will tell people what to do, will tell them they are valuable and will tell them he or she loves and appreciate them.

Another bait is Mystery. I write it with a capital M because it is not the type of mystery that will be revealed at the end of a novel, book or lecture. It is the type of Mystery which people will pay their entire fortunes to have revealed.

The Unknown, a Mystery of this magnitude is a sentient trap. Any sentient being will be trapped by a mystery they cannot fathom. A mystery that is created to be at the same level of intelligence and analytical power as the sentient being is as powerful as iron bars in keeping people from leaving the cult.

There is a saying that goes, “curiosity killed the cat”, this saying perfectly portrays how an intelligent being can be trapped and killed by something they feel curious about and the only things we feel curious about are the ones we are not familiar with, the things we don’t know, don’t understand or don’t see. The Mistery will only be revealed after years of loyal following, work and probably a lot of money. The nature of the Mystery is irrelevant at this point. The victim has invested so much of him or herself to find out what it is, that by the time it is revealed to him or her, it doesn't matter what it is. The person will either completely accept it as a huge and deep truth or will feel like a fool and leave the cult.

The promise of extraordinary abilities, powers, wisdom or knowledge is another trap the group will use. Suddenly the person is privy to teachings which are prohibited to the rest of humanity.

The group will also provide answers. They will have answers to most, if not all, of the questions the person will have about existence in this planet. They will provide answers to everyday problems such as lack of money, relationships, health issues, unhappiness and stress.

Fear is the way to keep the person involved even after their logical mind decides they have had enough. The person will be threatened that if they leave, no one will speak to them again. For long term cult members this will mean they will lose all of their friends and possibly their spouse and family. The person will also receive bigger threats, the most popular being that if they leave, they will suffer for all eternity. Particularly if the group is religious in nature, the fear of ending up in a hellish trap because the person left the only group that could provide salvation is a big weight to lift before breaking free.

These are the things cults use to lure and keep people in their ranks. The question is why do they do it? What’s in it for them? Cults are invariably led by one person. When that person dies, the cult is then led a group or individual who will speak on that person’s behalf. But why do they do it?

Money, power and sex are the main culprits.

If you have someone who is lost to a cult you must understand that this person feels great affection and loyalty to the cult. For them it is not a cult, it is Johnny, Mary, Stewart, Rob, it is their best friends, their spouse and children perhaps. Their leader will not be a cult leader, it will be David who values and teaches them. In other words, what for an outsider is a cult which is controlling the person, for that person it is an intimate group of friends and co-workers who know and understands him or her.

If you think you are immune to cults then think again. The cult will not approach you as a cult, it will be Michael next door, or Jenny from school, or perhaps an attractive and friendly person in your local mall offering a free service or book who approaches you.

They won’t ask for your savings or your time or sexual favors, they will offer solutions, friendship and common interests instead.

No one joins a cult to make the world a worse place to live in, or to make their leaders rich. You wouldn’t be joining one to do this either. Most of the cult members feverently believe in what they are doing. Once inside the cult, you would never think of yourself as someone who is going out there preying on innocent people to join your cult. You would be simply trying to share your new found happiness and teachings.

Beware of groups, religions and known cults. You do not need to belong to any type of ideological or religious group and belonging to one and this one turns out to be the wrong one for you, it will only make you feel better for a finite period of time. Sooner or later, you will feel isolated from that group too, but by then it will be very difficult to leave them. But it's best to leave them than staying.

If there is a group of people who you feel great affinity toward, approach with care and if they ever ask you for your savings or ask you to reach your credit card limit (to pay for a worthy cause), or if they ever tell you to cut communication with your family or friends (because they are a negative influence), or stop you from doing any activity which is not related to the group (because it's a waste of valuable time), ask yourself if perhaps you are in a cult and don't be ashamed to admit it if it turns out you are.
    (a) Inelia Benz - Free to distribute.

2. Pierrot

Pierrot Patron with Honors

Nice text.

The only trouble after reading it is the realisation there is no person on this planet that is not in one cult or another.

Buyers beware!

:D

3. Lovesnightsky

LOL yeah, but doesn't it sound familiar?? hehe

4. Alanzo

Alanzo Sponsor

A cult is a group that gets you, either through direct coercion or manipulation, to work against your own self-interests.

Now that I have left Scientology, if there is no person on this planet that is not in one cult or another, what cult am I in?

5. Pierrot

Oh yes - it does ;-)

So - what is dangerous about a cult?

About 3 years ago I had a girlfriend who someday told me being a Jehova's Witness for 15 years. Beautifull woman, she was a hottie, after we 'by-passed' all that social conditionning. I told her I wanted to learn more and study the Bible and talk about God etc. Friends told me "you're nuts! and that (the Watchtower) is dangerous". I said also to that girl I wanted to go and find masters in voo-doo and shamanism to study all those trance rhytms those healers use and which is in music like Salsa, Rumba, Soukous, ..., and of course Jazz. She said "you're nuts! that's dangerous"

Of course anytime someone says "that's dangerous!" - I'm interested. I want it all. I want to learn everything Man did think about, to study the public, so as to become a better guitarist.

The more fanatic cult I found is one a friend is in - he's a golf player, and... oh gosh! that's real bad! anytime we touch that subject it's real bad...!

Disconnection? The fact the person cannot come in/go out at will? the "manipulation of the mind" ?

6. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

thoughts on Cults

There is a saying that goes, “curiosity killed the cat”, this saying perfectly portrays how an intelligent being can be trapped and killed by something they feel curious about and the only things we feel curious about are the ones we are not familiar with, the things we don’t know, don’t understand or don’t see.

"curiosity Killed the cat"

I had this said to me so many times as a child.Like most young children i wanted to know the ins and outs of everything. Strangely enough the only thing i was not curious about as a child was Scientology. I had no choice in the matter.
    It was just there.Probably why i remember so little about Scientology as a subject,I found nothing curious about it.From the beginning it did not make sense in my thought processes. I don't know how, but i think i saw it for what it was even then at such a young age,even before joining the Sea Org.The SO was just a means to stay with my Dad.

Tamasin

7. Lovesnightsky

It was a child who shouted that the emperor had no clothes :)

I think curiosity can be used as a trap, but it is also curiosity that liberates, which is why the church is so adamant that members are not to be curious or investigate anything that is anti-church or anything that is not scientology.

8. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Scientology Inc., and its many fronts, including its main front of the 'Church' of Scientology, is a deceptive and abusive cult - a Destructive Cult - so why make light of that or attempt to rationalize it?

P.S. An obvious question is, "Why not recognize the cult mentality and cult framework in the "science" of Scientology, and work to eliminate it"? Why go, "Oh gosh!" Etc. (?) What a peculiar reaction.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=54605&postcount=2

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  9. Pierrot

Perhaps you are projecting your own ideas on me, your own history inside this cult and that of people you know, and you're rationalizing it. The whole Bridge, as a tool, the whole tech did help me to become (to mock me up, to say it in scientologese) as I wished to become, and nothing else. Anytime someone, exec or ethics off, tried to distract me into his game and thus into the cult he received a "you must be kidding" look to begin with. So I never took scientology as a substitute tool for "what and how I should think", Hubbard did not succeed at it (that is if you consider such was his intention) others did not succeed at it. And since I love to leran how people think, how groups think, I study all there is about it on Earth, first hand if possible, and make up my mind about it. So I'm sorry, Veda, I thank you for the info you relay, most of which I already know about, but I make up my own mind about things.

We agree that the 'Church' of Scientology is a Destructive Cult. Perhaps Scientology as a body of knowledge is more than that. Perhaps - as to each his own ideas, and why not group agreements about it, in and out of the church. I remember being surprised at the cult minded applauses to Ron when there. Hubbard's impingement on the subject is a huge out-point, you don't get that much of a personality cult when you study Kant or Psychology textbooks. The peak was beginning of the 80s when shown the new management "puppets mustering" videos... - I remember exchanging that look of disbelief with my wife. A disbelief watching public and staff applauding it with energy, and now I'm reading on the net debriefs of the same people disheartened about it writing with that same energy.

And if I appear to you as taking it up "lightly", it might be because I'm completely out of the subject of Scientology Inc. for about 7 years. Reading the posts on this board I slowly learn about how the whole subject became degraded. Talking about cults and brainwashing - nowadays I'm more interested in observing the totalitarian electronically controlled system being sold under the name "democracy". And about all the balttles you read/hear about in the media "to control people's minds".

Don't worry Veda - as you spotted it earlier on, I'm here only for my self-amusement. Guilty of being here and communicating.

10. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Thank you Pierre OT. My mistake for taking you seriously. It slipped my mind that what you think and what you write don't necessarily coincide, and that you're only here for your self-amusement.

11. Pierrot

Thank you Veda - I hate being taken seriously. What I think and what I write does coincide and that does contribute to my self-amusement.