A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swife

Discussion in 'Books About Cults and Extracting Oneself from Coer' started by Claire Swazey, Mar 13, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

Jonathan Swift wrote a proposal in which the narrator satirically suggests that the problem of starvation in Ireland could be resolved by eating Irish children.

It's an interesting piece.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1080/1080-h/1080-h.htm

Of course, I'm sure there were some who said they found nothing funny in children being eaten and who wondered why he was joking about it. But I'm sure he got his point across. The essay is still being discussed 280 years later.

It's a good read.

2. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

No. It's a GREAT read.

A good satirist is much to be admired. Unfortunately it's a rarity to see it done well. :bigcry:

Thank the Boddisattva Avalokiteshvara for Terry Pratchett!

Mark A. Baker

3. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

Question:

What is the primary difference between the Swift's piece and LRH's piece about disposing of low toned individuals quickly and without sorrow, including 1.1 homosexuals.

Answer:

Ron wasn't writing satire!! He was serious!

Rd00

4. Claire Swazey

True. He thought they should be quarantined. Obviously he was wrong about that, as he was about many things.

5. Claire Swazey

Re: A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

Satire and irony are sometimes used to emphasize and indicate societal and other problems. We see this in political cartoons every day. We see this here on critical fora, too, in the form of JPGs and other things that I've seen people create. The idea is to get the point across.

Starving children aren't humorous. Yet the satire's an effective one.

IMO, the only people who are going to object to a satire because of the tragic aspects of the underlying issue are those who either did not understand it or were already nursing a grievance.

6. Teanntás

Teanntás Patron Meritorious

Good old Jonathan. Here's his explanation for why the bishops sent over to Ireland were such bad characters: " "No blame," he said, "rested with the court for these appointments. Excellent and moral men had been selected upon every occasion of vacancy, but it unfortunately happened, that as these worthy divines crossed Hounslow Heath, on their way to Ireland, to take possession of their bishoprics, they have been regularly robbed and murdered by the highwaymen frequenting that common, who seize upon their robes and patents, come over to Ireland, and are consecrated bishops in their stead."

And foreshadowing the church of scientology the "Irish" bishops say:
    "And have we not practised all methods to gain you;
    With the tithe of the tithe of the tithe to maintain you"

http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/38633/

7. Disinfected

Disinfected Patron Meritorious

Re: A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

Jonathan Swift, G#ddamn joker and degrader.

disinfected

8. Infinite

Infinite Crusader

Quarantined? DOX PLOX.

9. Claire Swazey

It's in Science of Survival.

10. Claire Swazey

Yes, indeed. There's a lot of historical precedent for the kinds of crap that cults like CofS pull. And I don't mean that it excuses it- it doesn't. It does, however, serve to show the way humans can be apt to behave when running a religion as a business.

11. The church of Scientology doesn't have bishoprics.

But they have a lot of ED-pricks.

At the time, many thought Swift wasn't joking.

The Irish and their supporters in England were outrage.

But it is a great piece of satire and literature.

The Anabaptist Jacques

12. Claire Swazey

Yah, Swift is amazing. I think that a lot of people think Gulliver's Travels is for kids. But it's not. I think that, over time, some people have really missed out on his wit and wisdom.

13. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

You take what you see. For most people its the cute little lilliputians tying up the great big gulliver. They prefer to overlook the arguments over the folly of minor disputes leading to war and are incapable of seeing the irony of the inhumanity of the yahoos. :)

Gotta admit though I've always admired life in the cloud city. :biggrin:

Mark A. Baker