What's new

A request, if someone can help...

RevDrJBTDDPhD

I am a person with multiple disabilities:

https://www.facebook.com/john.benjamin.tatum/about?section=bio

I have had the idea of using biofeedback to help control my pain (I do not have a SCN fear of medications, but when it comes to pain meds, I would prefer to keep them to a minimum). My idea is to obtain an E-Meter (one for a "southpaw" would be nice, but "beggars can't be choosers"), and use it as a biofeedback device. To actually put it to a use of some real use. Since a biofeedback device is only a Wheatstone Bridge, a calibration knob, a battery, and a gauge to read the biofeedback of pain as resistance on the meter.

If someone has an E-Meter they could spare, and would be willing to give me for this purpose, I would appreciate it.

Take Care,

John

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
You can get e-meters quite cheaply on ebay, esp. the older ones.

Though I wouldn't rule out someone here maybe still having one, for the most part they either tossed them, sold them, gave them to a friend or put them up on ebay/ sold them. I see people offering to give old CoS books and lecture tapes to any interested parties, but the very few posts I've seen about e-meters its usually to sell them. (I've seen more posts like yours looking to get one for various reasons.)

Most of the people here have been out of the CoS, and totally rejected Scientology tech, for a quite a number of years and therefore got rid of some of the bigger items (like e-meters) long ago.

As you mentioned e-meters are only wheatstone bridges and (from what I understand because I'm no electronics whiz) not difficult to make with parts you can find at a typical hardware/electronics store or online.

EDIT: I would bet one of our posters here, Paul (Dull Old Fart) who has invented Paul's Robot offering a form of auditing via computer programs, could probably tell you how to make a very useable e-meter on the cheap.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
I am a person with multiple disabilities:

https://www.facebook.com/john.benjamin.tatum/about?section=bio

I have had the idea of using biofeedback to help control my pain (I do not have a SCN fear of medications, but when it comes to pain meds, I would prefer to keep them to a minimum). My idea is to obtain an E-Meter (one for a "southpaw" would be nice, but "beggars can't be choosers"), and use it as a biofeedback device. To actually put it to a use of some real use. Since a biofeedback device is only a Wheatstone Bridge, a calibration knob, a battery, and a gauge to read the biofeedback of pain as resistance on the meter.

If someone has an E-Meter they could spare, and would be willing to give me for this purpose, I would appreciate it.

Take Care,

John

Don't have an e-meter at this time, or access to one.

There's been a lot of work done with biofeedback in recent times. Have you looked into any of this? The cost may be prohibitive, but there may be possible arrangements where you could volunteer as a test subject. In any event, IMO, it's worth checking out.

Here's just one video of many:

[video=youtube;xHOmo6r76wk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHOmo6r76wk[/video]

And welcome to ESMB. :)

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
You may find these video helpful. Perhapos to even build one yourself
E-Meter Autopsy Part 1 of 2
http://youtu.be/YHDMEBoOYXo

E-Meter Autopsy Part 2 of 2
http://youtu.be/qkXlhSVc8Kw

This how to build item is a bit over my head regarding whether it would suit your particular biofeedback needs but it's based upon Open Source information and the cost to built would only be for parts only
Biofeedback Device based on Arduino www.draladesign.de/biodevice
http://youtu.be/EjoJl-NdPpo

Here i will present an Open Source Biofeedback device which i build based on Arduino. You can measure body temperature with an IR sensor, GSR and you can connect other devices with changing sinus tone output, for example the Thoughtstream USB. The total cost of this device is about 100€. It works either as a standalone or you can connect it to Brainbay, an Open Source Neurofeedback software. I developped three designs that allows video or audiofeedback. It simply means you can watch a movie or listen to music. As the temperature drops the movie/ music stops, if it raises the movie/ music plays again.

Another feedback option is that of visual feedback in the area of Peripheral Vision. Two LED lights are fixed to the right and left of the head at the fringe of the visual field. In order to perceive the feedback, one switches ones vision into peripheral vision. If the desired values go up, the lights will turn on, if they go down, the lights go off. As staying in peripheral vision is connected to the parasymphathic nerv system, the feedback enhances the level of relaxation. However, this feedback modality needs more testing. I would be happy if the viewer would share knowledge and ideas about peripheral vision with me. This feedback device can also be plugged to your computer serving as feedback modality for neurofeedback.
Full presentation with downloads: www.draladesign.de/biodevice

Te site has very easy and specific instructions with photos
http://www.draladesign.de/biodevice/

Do check ebay periodically, as the older meters come and go for cheap, fast

beltway

Bone Idle
I also deal with chronic pain and wanted to give biofeedback a shot.

I tried a refurbed British Mark V e-meter for a while, but it just wasn't useful as a biofeedback device for pain control. In order to see the needle movement clearly, the sensitivity had to be high, which in turn required lots of tone-arm fiddling as the range varied. Not easy to focus and relax. :p

Also, it turns out, narcotic pain medications cause GSR (galvanic skin response) to flatline. Deep breath and body movements should make the needle move, but while on medication there was next to no movement. At worst, the needle just stuck or did a super-slow rise or fall. Medication also tends to jack up GSR resulting in a tone-arm setting near maximum. At least on the Mark V, sensitivity is poor at high TA no matter what settings are used.

When I was a kid, my uncle had a cheap little battery-powered biofeedback device from Radio Shack. It put out a steady audio tone that rose and fell just like the e-meter needle only it didn't have or need any adjustments other than volume as I recall. I suppose 100Hz to a few kHz or whatever it was covers the whole human GSR range. Radio Shack stopped making them many years ago.

That kind of device would be great for practical biofeedback. They used to cost around $10 USD I think. Really wish similar devices were still available, or even a DIY kit or something...

When i was looking around at meters a couple years ago, the only GSR options were hugely expensive semi-pro gadgets or silly looking Chinese computer-mouse looking things for around $50. None of them did the audio tone thing, which would make it possible to close your eyes and focus on relaxing.

There are also some independent meter makers that use a computer and screen as the meter 'movement'. Seemed like really nice stuff but very costly IMO, as I suppose is to be expected with anything even slightly related to Scn. Not sure if any of them have added an audio feature since the last time I looked, but I don't think it would be at all difficult to add that kind of functionality.

Anyway, good luck!

Kemist

Patron with Honors
There are GSR sensors you can buy for around $99 that you can plug in an iPhone or iPad to be used with a biofeedback app.