ABLE's LEARNING ACCELERATOR? WTF

Discussion in 'Scientology Front Groups and Alliances' started by sandygirl, Oct 28, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. sandygirl

sandygirl Silver Meritorious Patron

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110292852494

Note the price. Isn't this just admiting that people have been getting ripped off for years on the outrageous price of e'meters?

Also, carrying one of these around for "business instruction", is just getting a little too weird for me.

And the name...........

2. Div6

Div6 Crusader

The "difference" is that there is no Tone Arm counter. TA action off the case is the measure of "progress" in Scn.

3. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

Should NEVER have called it an E-meter.:duh:

4. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Gold Meritorious Patron

:omg: I have never seen or heard of that. If you click on "reilsted" you will see there is actually a bid on it. Somebody knows what it is!

5. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Haven't seen one for years. I don't know how the electronics compares to a Mark VI or VII. That list price of $930 is current, per their WISE web site.

There is a TA knob, Div6, but it is numbered with 10-60 instead of 1-6. Last time I had my hands on one it seemed much like a Mark VI, except all the controls were in unfamiliar places.

Paul

6. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Yes, but there is no TA Counter. I guess secular Tone Arm Action doesn't count.....

7. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

Not in word-clearing, no.

8. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

Yeah, just saw this, is it REAL? I mean is it really Co$-issued? Wow.

Weeeiiird. :nervous:

Gee, too bad it doesn't have a Tone Arm. Then those that need one for the bridge could buy one of these and save a ton of money, eh? :p

9. Dulloldfart

Oops. Sorry. :)

No need to record TA in word-clearing, except for M1 and that's auditing anyway. And they wouldn't want auditors to use it, at one fifth the cost.

Paul

10. sandygirl

sandygirl Silver Meritorious Patron

I guess I wasn't too clear on my first post. Is it just me or is it TOTALLY creepy for someone whom is reresenting themselves from ABLE not Scio. to walk around using a "Learning Accelerator"?

Something about it seems very deceptive, and creepy in the extreme. Hey, maybe I should walk around with one at a Halloween Party this weekend........."Velcome, vould you like me to improve your learning..........................HA HA HA":nervous:

11. Thalkirst

Thalkirst Patron with Honors

This instrument does exist and is supposedly for WISE and ABLE "secular" courserooms, strictly for metered word clearing - a secular M4 basically.

There is even a course for HCA and APS Supervisors to learn how to use it in word clearing.

As far as I know it is based on the Mark V E-meter - kind of a dumbed down versiion.

12. Dulloldfart

It's just you. It's totally routine for students to be hooked up to electronic devices and asked on a daily basis "In your study today did you go past anything you didn't fully understand?" What's weird about that? Happens all the time. :)

Surely everyone knows ABLE is Scn, don't they? They don't use the S-word on the front page of their website but they sure use "L. Ron Hubbard" a lot.

Paul

13. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Note the seller's name...StaticThetan. Gee, this COULDN'T be a scilon, could it??? Wonder how he gets away selling e-meters for 140.00 bucks. Isn't that out-exchange? :D

14. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Gold Meritorious Patron

You could go dressed up as a Scientologist. Now that's scarey!! :shock:

15. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

Accelerate your something

At Narconon Melbourne last year there was someone using this device to run what were sessions on the students - his favourite trick was to use it to "verify" O/W write-up completeness. I've never used one myself but apparently it's the same as the Mark V E-Meter but with different placements for the controls (and of course a cheaper price tag.)

16. Soul of Ginnungagab

Soul of Ginnungagab Patron with Honors

Oh the Learning Accelerator. I remember when that was introduced. It is more than 25 years ago. The purpose is to check if there are any misunderstood words. There was some effort done trying to encourage scientologists to introduce the Learning Accelerator to teachers. Well, if you consider that it is important to make sure that any and all misunderstandings are cleared and you can do it faster by locating misunderstood words with the use of the meter then the idea is OK. At least to a scientologist it would make sense.

There was a sales person from the church who tried to get me hooked on the Learning Accelerator. I had some nice conversations with him, but although I could see the point in using the device I had a hard time conceiving of the idea of introducing it to teachers and pupils. Well, I instinctively and intuitively knew that if I spend money on it, it would just sit there and collect dust and never be introduced to anybody. So I managed to end cycle on the subject, which was not that easy, since both the sales person and the potential buyer were in agreement that is a great idea to get any misunderstoods cleared in order to help a person progress.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  17. Dulloldfart

Oh, that reminds me. Interesting thing this morning. Very good example of a misunderstood word in action, especially for educated people who don't have any. I had just started reading a borrowed library copy of Zimbardo's "The Lucifer Effect", his new (2007) about his 1971 famous Stanford Prison Experiment and related stuff. I don't pretend to be the world's most diligent user of Study Tech, but I use it sometimes. Like this morning. Don't stop reading as this is very illustrative. :)

I noticed I hadn't a clue of what I'd just read in the past half a page, so I went back a few paragraphs and read more carefully and the same thing happened. Repeat. Same thing. I figured I knew all the words, but still fogged out. Getting very interested now, I narrowed down the area of trouble to "...what strengths, virtues, and vulnerabilities they bring into a given situation. Then, we need to recognize more fully the complex of situational forces that are operative in given behavioral settings. Modifying them, or learning to avoid them, can have a greater impact on..."

Narrowing it down some more I finally spotted my attention was hanging up on the first "them", not its meaning as such but what in the previous sentence was it referring to? What one might call a misunderstood "status" in that HCOB. :)

That only took a few seconds to sort out and then I carried on reading for several hours, happy as a clam, although I had to look up "al fresco" and one other word I forget. But it was interesting as I had been completely flattened by such a simple m/u.

Paul

18. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Banned

Good job. And, a good example of how 'The Tech' (or parts of it) *can* work, when not sold as a replacement for actual information.

Zinj

19. Dulloldfart

Thanks.

Wow. I gotta quote that, Zinji, before you change your mind and edit it out of existence. :)

Paul

20. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Banned

I'm not even feeling an inclination :)

Zinj