Alabama Senate votes to allow church to form police dept.

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Enthetan, Apr 12, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Alabama Senate votes to allow church to form police dept.

This is a very bad idea. Can you imagine Scientology using this as a precedent to ask that their security forces in Clearwater and LA be made into full police forces?

I would also think that allowing a church to have government approval to form a police force with arrest powers would likely be deemed unconstitutional.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Wow, that sounds dangerous, indeed.

3. tesseract

tesseract Patron with Horrors

Umm seriously, what the hell? What about separation of religion and state and so on and so forth? :unsure: :no: :no: :no:
    :sad:
    Unconstitutional much indeed??
    It sounds like something so absurd and dangerous that it is bound to get overthrown / ruled out by a higher authority shortly but I don't know where/how/who. :confused2:
    Whatever you can say about this church in particular, doesn't that ruling indeed open the door widely for all sorts of devious cults and churches to grossly abuse it, a collective assumption which will inevitably lead others to protest and cry, unconstitutional?
    Curious and curiouser.
    I wonder how that will go down. :screwy:

4. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Yes, an insane idea!

Yet, there is ample precedent for cults who had their own cops or paramilitary forces. The first two that come to mind are the "Sturmabteilung" of Hitler's political party, aka the "brownshirts" or "storm troopers" that thuggishly beat/killed those who disagreed or even doubted the infallibility of Der Fuhrer.

Another more recent example is the Nation of Islam's "FOI" (Fruit of Islam); the huge, glowering thugs that stare down everyone who is within eyesight of their infallible leader Farrakhan. It wasn't long ago that Farrakhan despatched them to commit murder of a previous NOI leader so that he could steal the reins and cash.

How about Hubbard's "Guardian Office" or Miscavige's "OSA" thugs? They were likewise despatched to commit heinous human rights atrocities against anyone who Scientology's infallible sociopathic guru didn't care for. What are they, if not an internal "police force" that detained, arrested, imprisoned and/or kidnapped persons who the COS deemed to have committed "crimes".

In my experience within Scientology, I can rather easily conclude that Hubbard/Miscavige certainly had HOPED to springboard their GO thugs into an elite terror police, in the tradition of Hitler's fanatical thugs. It is very fortunate, then, that Hubbard's "admin tech" never worked even one bit or he would have taken Rhodesia (and/or other countries) and built a truly formidable police force to carry out his nefarious acts of terrorism against innocent individuals. Think that's far-fetched? Think again. It's only Hubbard's/Miscavige's stunning incompetence that prevented them from doing so. If in doubt, simply remember how within their small sphere of absolute control ("the Apollo" or "Gold Base") staff were imprisoned in chain lockers, thrown overboard, forced to wade in a toxic feces-infested lake to "clean it out", physically assaulted & beaten, kidnapped, terrorized and much worse.

Whew, didn't know that I would be ranting! LOL.

5. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

6. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Good rant :)

7. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

My first thought was, this sounds like the Iranian Morality Police. What's good for the goose...

But just to be provocative, whats to keep a wealthy Saudi or Scientology from buying or incorporating their own little town in some backwoods and creating their own police force? We think of police as being an official government agency as opposed to a private security force so how is it possible to create a police agency without minimally being an incorporated city?

Apparently precedent has already been established with colleges.

Of course, if the police do something to give cause for a lawsuit the city gets sued. If it's your own police agency then I assume you get sued so there would be a down side.

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/news/be-your-own-mayor-six-towns-for-sale-right-now/

hell-michigan.jpg
    Despite having one hell of a name, the small hamlet of Hell, in Putnam Township, Michigan, is still on the market a year after a failed bid from a Detroit arts collective, Damned. Hell, which includes shops such as Screams Ice Cream and the Hell Hole Diner, as well as its own website, is now for sale for $USD900,000 ($1.16 million).

8. survivalist

survivalist Patron

I believe there are innumerable private police departments in the US: virtually all public universities, many hospitals, etc.

I attended a major University of State Name school and there was a campus police department. All it means is that the local campus police are deputized, which means they can arrest you if you break the law on campus grounds.

Doesn't mean they can make up laws to arrest you (though if you are breaking a university policy and refuse to leave grounds, they can arrest you for trespassing). Doesn't mean they can haul you off to a private jail or take you to a private court system. All they can do is detain you until the police arrive. They're glorified rent-a-cops.

I'm not an expert in this area, but my understanding is that having a police department has pros/cons. Your officers have to be deputizable, so they have to be employable as police officers, which is a much higher standard than some public parking lot security guard, and obviously they cost more. You need to certified and audited, meet minimum standards, etc. And you take on more liability naturally. On the other hand, you can enforce the law more quickly, you can make arrests, and your officers can be armed (though whether or not you want to do that is a different consideration).

I know of several large public health systems that have a private police force on their campus.

From my experience it's a scale thing - if you have a lot of people and a large campus of buildings that requires constant security presence, it starts to make sense.

This sounds to me like it's more like public safety than the Republican Guards. And regardless, there are already plenty of private police departments that are under effective church control: most large private religious universities and some large religious-affiliated health care campuses.

9. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

I was thinking that, too.

And it seems like anyone can hire cops on their off time for any event, etc.

I always found that weird. Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

10. tesseract

tesseract Patron with Horrors

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Out of curiosity, I've asked someone who should know and apparently here such a thing is prohibited. Surprise, surprise.
    Allow me to compare Europe and the USA in five words:

FRENETIC REGULATIONS vs. FRANTIC REACTIONS.

:coolwink:

11. arcxcauseblows

arcxcauseblows Patron Meritorious