annoying Youtube AI

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Mimsey Borogrove, May 13, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

I don't know how many others of you find this annoying, but Youtube has this auto suggest AI program on their opening window - If I want to watch a video by Chris Shelton, the next time I go to the opening page it is full of similar choices, and the ones I previously was watching, such as videos on solar phenomena, the Trump trainwreck, classical music or old rock concerts, have evaporated. It gets worse - the AI program has ADD or a short attention span. I open the page to watch the daily Suspicious Observers update, and notice another video on the upcoming global grand solar minimum, and I find I need to write down the title, because after I watch the SO video, and go back to the opening page - it likely will be gone.

This ADD / short attention span in programming is becoming an illness that programmers are foisting off on us. Is that how they view the rest of us? I get frustrated with face book for much the same reason - posts I'd like to revisit drop off the page with alarming alacrity.

Bill Maher did a bit yesterday about how computer programs like face book etc. are purposely geared to create addiction - and sometimes when I post here too much - I suspect my own addiction is out of control so I cut back for a while. (Yeah - I am doing it again)

Is this all what Scientology is about? Hubbard created an addiction for his ideas much like Trump is creating an addiction to follow his erratic behavior? Did Hubbard do it knowingly with malice a forethought, or did he stumble into it accidentally?

It reminds me of his policy; "Why something new?" where he rails against change - seeing it as a dramatization, and much of the above - wanting likes, seeing responses to posts, needing the latest news, etc. fits the bill - we crave change...

Mimsey

[video=youtube;_qJasVTFaXI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJasVTFaXI[/video]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

I don't know what Trump has to do with this issue.

But I agree the algorithms or whatever they use to push things at us, is getting ridiculous. I have seen the same problems you describe.

And these algorithms that some Tech or marketing "genius" came up with are also what is creating the echo chambers that keep everyone in their little boxes of either left or right, with more and more extremism, more and more hate, more and more divide. The advertisers take full advantage, using emotional triggers to make people click on their ads....click bait. The more outrageous the headlines, the more clicks they get, the richer they get.

I think there is actually a sinister goal behind it all. Destroy another country with division, hate, and civil war. But there I go, getting political again.

3. tesseract

tesseract Patron with Horrors

(Emphasis mine, needs clarification.)
    Mimsey, unfortunately I see a fallacious reasoning here but fortunately it is explained simply... I hope you then see what I mean...
    If you feel addiction not just to facebook and other sites, but, as you set out, to ESMB too (in case "here" was referring to ESMB and not to facebook!), well I don't know who made the forum software because it's irrelevant, it's like any other forum software, but ESMB has essentially been "made" and to some degree, designed, by Emma, ethercat, and all the exes... Not by some possibly ruthless Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs... So where do the nefarious reasoning and addiction supporting design decisions have their place in this case?

It is very possible though that in all the single software design decisions that are shaping and re-shaping big systems like facebook or youtube, the willed acceptance or fostering of addictive behavior plays a role. I've heard of that theory before, and personally I think it's very true; if you look at the absolute lack of morality and ethics in the advertise and product design industry. But still, not facebook deletes those posts you want to go back to, THE PEOPLE do it... (In case "dropping off the page" meant deletion and not, dropping off the front page... otherwise you may be right...)
    :confused2:

I don't quite know how one can avoid to adopt such addictive behavior or avoid to become part of such systems, except by not using all these sites at all, but that doesn't look like a wise solution for me. As a loner I can live without facebook but I need those kitty videos. :biggrin:
    And regularly delete your cookies... On the phone too... This is important...

As a note, Mimsey, re addiction to ESMB & Co., I'm not speaking as an outsider, I'm well addicted to scientology watching as well. Albeit recently I found a new hobby (see chatbox) that may lead to me reading and posting less for a while. At least when I get the 5" Maksutov or when I can place it on a decent mount... :coolwink:

I agree, that's a good theory... :coolwink:
    (Maybe we should call it "mono-conspiracy"... A lunatic conspiring with himself to make nefarious exploitative plans. :biggrin: )

4. George Layton

George Layton Silver Meritorious Patron

I think it was more on the lines of, hubbard being the outgoing, giving guy that he was, he shared his addictions with you.

5. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

I've never had interest in joining Facebook based on my research including examining friends' Facebook accounts. It's seems really stupid to me.
    If I see Trump on TV I change the channel or mute him or fast forward if it's pre-recorded local news program. I have Trump on ignore.

I don't mind my addiction to ESMB however. In fact I love it!

6. wogX

wogX Patron

Don't blame the programmers. Blame the people who pay the programmers to implement their ideas.

7. Gib

Gib Crusader

yes he stumbled onto it accidentally, he read Le Bon as he told Heinlein in a personal letter. Keyword from Le Bon is repetition.

Reference for Hubbard reading Le Bon:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sicientology&p=1058062&viewfull=1#post1058062

Reference for what did Le Bon say that Hubbard followed:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sicientology&p=1059395&viewfull=1#post1059395

8. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

It can be very recursive.

It is all Alan Turing's fault. "Alan Mathison Turing OBE FRS was an English computer scientist, mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst and theoretical biologist." and before him ..anyone who had a typwriter and a broadsheet on which to publish...those evil "Merchants of Chaos"....:coolwink:

9. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

I don't know if you watched Bill's video - I was referring to the dopamine high connected with posting that creates an addictive behavior that he was describing in his segment. I have found myself feeling a dopamine high while posting here, and recognizing it, and decide to cut back on posting for a while so it doesn't become so obsessive. I don't think Emma or Ethercat have any nefarious intent in mind, it (the dopamine reaction / addiction) just seems to naturally occur.

Similarly, how much of auditing depends on a dopamine kick? You could say OT 7 is the ultimate dopamine kick in that you have to audit it 6 times a day - HOWEVER - the stress levels to fit that level of production into a busy life makes for cray cray.

As I look back at my behavior while on the level - trying to run a full time business, getting up after 4 hrs of sleep and try to cram in a couple sessions before tearing off to work, I was loony tunes and so caught up in it, I was a hair trigger hot head, stressed out most days, that I never realized the deleterious effect it had on my life, my relationship with my kids, grand kids, customers etc. Some how my wife and I managed to co-exist - perhaps because we were both on the level at the same time and in similar mind sets. We had no time to reflect on what we were doing - we were just focused on getting through the level.

But I digress.

Oh - speaking of computer generated ADD behavior - what did you mean about deleting cookies from your phone? I never knew they could be there. How do you get rid of them?

Mimsey

10. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

The thing that's addictive about ESMB is not the fault of the originators, as discussed, but just a little thing called "positive feedback". For me, it is always a kick to pull up the ESMB page and see that little number under the Notifications heading.

"Ooh, 3 people like what I posted! Oh, HH laughed at my joke!" LOL

It's the feedback that makes it fun and keeps us coming back. Me, at least.

:thumbsup:

11. DoneDeal

DoneDeal Patron Meritorious

They can't say no?

12. wogX

wogX Patron

They can recommend against, certainly, but say no? Not if you want to keep your job, I would think!