Another Suicide..Another lawsuit. Kyle Brennan

Discussion in 'Legal and Government Actions Involving Scientology' started by well_that_sucked, Feb 16, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. well_that_sucked

well_that_sucked Patron with Honors

"According to the complaint filed in Florida federal court, an adult son, Kyle Brennan, visits his Scientologist father and he has with him a prescription to Lexapro for depression and social anxiety. The Scientologist father lives in a complex with other Scientologists and the father is instructed by a church chaplain to take away the son’s Lexapro so he locks the medication in his truck. On February 16th with ready access to a loaded gun, the son shot himself in the head.

Forget the Scientology and Lexapro, I’d say that whoever was responsible for leaving a loaded gun in the proximity of a clinically depressed person, is responsible for his death."

http://rlwilsonconsulting.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/scientology-sued-for-wrongful-death/

2. DCAnon

DCAnon Silver Meritorious Patron

Not only did they take him off his depression medication and leave a loaded gun next to his bed, but the gun and the bullets were wiped clean of fingerprints according to the court documents. :omg:

3. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

Isn't this years old.

Correction. The law suit is new.

4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

5. Dulloldfart

There is no autopsy posted online that I can see, not any police info, nothing except what is written in the complaint, filed Feb 13 2009. The complaint is readily available online:
    http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/02/16/Scientology.pdf

Interestingly, one of the defendants is Denise Miscavige as Chaplain. Per the complaint, Kyle - a non-Scio - was visiting his father in Clearwater. His father was advised by the Chaplain to remove his son's Lexapro as it was a psych medication, and they tried to reg the son and his mother - also a non-Scio - for a Narconon program. Neither bit. The son slept overnight in a room provided by the father and apparently shot himself with a loaded .357 magnum that he readily found. The police were called 45 minutes later, after the local Scn people were. Neither the pistol nor the bullets had any identifiable fingerprints. I don't know if it means they were wiped off, were merely smudged, or what. The attorney is Ken Dandar, well-known anti-CofS lawyer.

No media yet that I can see. That should change. :)

Paul

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

That was my fault, I had this mixed up with a different incident.

7. byte301

byte301 Crusader

His death happened about 2 years ago. The mother got an experienced lawyer I see. :yes:

8. byte301

byte301 Crusader

It said that the gun and bullets had no IDENTIFIABLE fingerprints. That doesn't mean there weren't any fingerprints unless I'm missing something here.

9. Pooks

Pooks MERCHANT OF CHAOS

Denise Miscavige, Covington, Liccardi, Gentile is DM's twin sister.

10. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Bet she's taller then DM!

Wonder if DM is still thinking ANY pr is good pr? :D

11. Kathy (ImOut)

Kathy (ImOut) Gold Meritorious Patron

The problem with this, is that most anti-depressant drugs can NOT be stopped cold turkey. Some of them can kill you from stopping them cold turkey. But since the CofS says they are bad, then you must not let anyone in your environment take them. Because they are the "experts" on this sort of thing.

Discontinuation of Treatment with Lexapro
    During marketing of Lexapro and other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, and hypomania. While these events are generally self-limiting, there have been reports of serious discontinuation symptoms.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with Lexapro. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate.

I sure hope the CofS loses a lot of money for this.

People - get those repayments soon. There may not be any money left after this one gets done.

12. well_that_sucked

well_that_sucked Patron with Honors

$cientology didn't give a damn about this man, all they saw was a NarCONon reg cycle and their paranoia of all things not $cientology. THIS is $cientology help in all its anti human glory.

Imagine Kyle's dilemma: With his meds locked away to him the choices he faced were; subject to the mind control methods of $cientology or blow his brains out.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  13. DartSmohen

DartSmohen Silver Meritorious Patron

Denise was at St Hill with her family. From what I heard, even as a 14yo, she was "known" by several of the guys down at the stables. :whistling:

Dart

14. Dulloldfart

For those not too familiar with Saint Hill, "The Stables" is a building at the edge of the Estate, where Dart lived too at one time. No hay or horses there. (John Harvey used to run through an alphabet that started 'ay for 'orses.)

Paul

15. DCAnon

DCAnon Silver Meritorious Patron

You're right. I'd like to get a bit more information on it, the fact they mention that fact in the court docs make me wonder if it's uncommon?

16. ScudMuffin

ScudMuffin Silver Meritorious Patron

Why doesn't this suprise me? I think the floodgates on the lawsuit front may open before too long. I know we've had a fair few go through, but I reckon the may be a deluge toward the end of the year. If all those hit the cult in one go might be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of publicity and funds.

Thin long white buildings? I know they have dirty wine glasses in the sheds.

17. Dulloldfart

Search on Google maps for "The Stables, Saint Hill Green, East Grinstead" and you'll find it. Except it's the group of buildings on the other side (left) of the road between 7 and 8 o'clock, not the house indicated.

Paul

18. klidov

klidov Silver Meritorious Patron

I like Atty Ken Dandar a lot. (As I have mentioned before, he is a friend of the family, as well as the fact he did some legal work for my Parents).

:thumbsup:

I am so glad he is involved in this case. This cult is so dangerous.

19. Daedle

Daedle Patron

It's hardly going to be a straw - more like a 20 ton weight dropped from altitude.

The more lawsuits get going the better. While I don't agree with the lawsuit culture of money making up for grief, if more lawsuits like these bring the cult down to it's knees then I definitely support them.

20. quietheart

quietheart Patron Meritorious

I'm so glad to see that she's taking them to court. I wrote her a brief email last year, on the anniversary of his death, to express my condolences and she was kind enough to give me a short thank you reply. I hope she gets justice for her and her son.
    Esther