Arnie Lerma's Death

Discussion in 'In Memory Of...' started by mockingbird, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:17 AM.

View Users: View Users
  1. mockingbird

mockingbird Silver Meritorious Patron

Someone was kind enough to inform me that among ex Scientologists there are a few people acting like there is some kind of conspiracy or cover-up regarding the death of Scientology critic Arnie Lerma. Arnie Lerma was one of the most established critics of Scientology for a long time and worked to unravel the lies and fraud in Scientology perhaps as much as anyone.

I was friends with Arnie Lerma for a couple years after I left Scientology and he was kind enough to try to help me to get my bearings.

Recently I have been posting things on Facebook completely unrelated to Arnie Lerma and some people have chose to try to pivot these posts towards bringing up the death of Arnie Lerma and implying that the truth is not out there. I have replied "I don't know."

To be perfectly clear, I have no reason to believe that there is any conspiracy or cover-up regarding the death of Arnie Lerma and the surrounding events as described by the police and the media. I have no knowledge of any evidence that the official story is not true. If anyone is trying to take anything I posted and trying to spin it into something else or act like there is some hidden truth I want it to be perfectly clear I want no part in it.

I hope that the people who think that there is something else going on who keep putting that out there leave me out of it or accurately reflect what I have written here.

RIP Arnie Lerma

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • For you For you x 1
    • List
  2. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

The people you're trying to make this known to may not read ESMB. I'd recommend that you make it known directly to them on FB (if you haven't already done so).

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. Did someone say conspiracy?

Could someone please post a screen grab of that wonderful scene from The Simpsons? Mayor Quimby, Police Chief Wiggum, Krusty the Clown, Kent Brockman, Kodos and Kang, all the movers and shakers in Springfield are sitting around a large, sturdy table in a medieval castle, hoisting glasses of ale, and singing "Who keeps the metric system down? WE DO, WE DO !!!"

I would say "relax". I don't think anyone is going to accuse you of anything. But, of course, I don't "have my finger on the pulse of FB". I'm not even on FB.

• Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  4. CaliMule

CaliMule Work Hard and Bray

There is seldom an easy or sure fix when dealing with an audience that does not want to let go of conspiracy theories anymore than a baby wants to let go of candy. People involved in Scientology tend to LOVE an account which shows the boring and prosaic interpretation of the world is inadequate, so you are forever saddled with this problem of the conspiracy theory proving its attractiveness.

I think the easiest way to counteract this is to point out that:

(1) had Lerma been acting according to some deliberated plan, he surely would have caused transfer of his ownership of his website to an ally, not simply left it to fate as to what would happen to it, as it summed up his life's work or mission;
    (2) Lerma did, however, act impulsively, in great haste, rather than according to some plan, as evidenced by leaving "his baby" to an uncertain fate; and,
    (3) we should expect loose ends and inconsistencies from any hasty, impulsive action that wasn't thought through.

Keeping it simple like this is also keeping it credible. This is how the world works: people planning to exit this world tend to make provisions for their most important things once they are gone, and people who act impulsively with fatal consequences easily leave this undone.

Loose ends are inherent in hasty, impulsive acts which aren't thought through, and that is how to best understand the circumstances of Lerma's death.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  5. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

I was thinking of Arnie today.

What made me think of Arnie was a Twilight Zone episode I saw last night. It was a story about a group of Pioneer Americans traveling West in the 1800s searching for a better life. They were sick and starving and just about run out of water and been so beaten down after a year of this, that all but one had given up and lost any hope or picture of the original dream. That one man walked off by himself, crossed into the Twilight Zone, went to a restaurant in the future and brought back water and medicine. :happydance:

Never lose the original dream! Even though Scientology diverted us all for a while, here we are now, and at least now we all know the right road and are free to keep trying. You never know what wonderful things can be just over the next ridge. Maybe you’re just a few steps away from getting what you’ve always wanted, if you give yourself a boost and believe.

Wherever Arnie is now, and the other lives and youths Hubbard and DM diverted and stole, I hope they crossed over and found the answers they worked so hard to get.

I hope everyone here now takes a moment to rekindle their own dreams. :bighug:

• Love Love x 2
    • For you For you x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Lovely thoughts and insight. . .

About this part:
    The other day I happened to walk past a Scientology "modern science of mental health" org. That evening I dreamed I went into a restaurant mental health facility in the future and brought back actual water science and medicine mental health.

But none of the Scientologists were even slightly interested. I was confused how that could be so I got in touch with a cult expert named Rod Serling. He r-factored me that Scientolgists TOP 3 SURVEY BUTTONS were "levitation", "going wholetrack" and "exteriorizing to other Galaxies". At the bottom of the list was SURVEY BUTTON #39, "reality".

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

:lol: Great analogy! :giggle: Yes, Scientologists are caught up in some warped alternate universe desert sacrificing their health, life goals, desires and basic needs for a path that goes in circles in the middle of an abundant, thriving civilization.

It was a great episode, btw. What hit me was the way the people were so beaten down by their hardships and Serling’s exquisite narration of the man who refused to give up and still had a tiny ounce left of his original vision.

We are older, things are physically harder than when we were in our 20s and we’ve had the huge mirage of Scientology leading us off-track. But we have clarity. We can see. It’s a whole lot easier now to drive a car on a real road with road signs, gas stations and a mild breeze than being 20 and trying to walk through a desert with a blinding sandstorm pushing back every step. :happydance: