What's new

Asbestos, Mesothelioma and the Freewinds

Mark Fisher

I have thought about posting this to alert people for a few days now because I did not want to scare everyone, but after thinking it over, I think it is a good idea for everyone to be aware of this early on rather than face the consequences later.

This past week, Merlin Olsen, the Pro Football Hall of Famer for the Los Angeles Rams and a former Football broadcaster and actor died at the age of 69 from Mesothelioma. He was diagnosed with it last year, way too late to be able to do anything effective to handle it before he passed on.

He was exposed to Asbestos in doing home construction in Utah in the 50s and early 60s when he was a teenager, some 50 years ago. The disease did not take over until he was 68 years old, yet he was exposed that long ago.

This story is personal to me because my father, who was a former Scientologist and OT, also died from Mesothelioma when he was only 66 years old. His exposure to asbestos was when he was in college on a summer job hauling the stuff and maybe when he was in the US Navy, but no one can remember any specific exposure then. He died some 45 years after the exposure.

I never was on the Freewinds vessel in the Sea Org, but many of my friends were on board and I want to make them aware of the fact that if they think they were ever exposed to the blue asbestos that is throughout the Freewinds, they should mention it NOW to their Doctor on their next visit to make sure that the Doctor is aware of it and can look for early symptoms and catch it early before it is too late.

Here is a link regarding Mesothelioma from Wikiepedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesothelioma

It describes the disease in some detail and the symptoms and treatments. Unfortunately, the treatments are not great at this time, but early detection makes it more likely to be treated. That is why I am alerting any former Sea Org Members who may have been exposed.

If you were involved in any renovations of the ship, you should get checked out. That is when the asbestos could have been airborne in dust particles.

Other famous people who have died from this disease include Steve McQueen, Warron Zevon and several others listed on the wiki site.

I am not advocating a law suit against Scientology since they knew that the asbestos was on board the ship from the day they purchased it and recently it was a big flap when they were renovating the ship. But there are probably legal remedies that one could persue if you so desire.

My point in alerting everyone is purely from the point of view of catching anything early. We want you all around for many years to come.

Sincerely, Mark Fisher

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
I have actually wondered about this over the years but not about freewinds.

While working on the renos of CLO EUS I saw what I thought was asbestos insulated pipes in a room below the street attached to the basement of the NY ORG.

The renos mission used the space as storage for tools and materials. I spent a lot of time in there, even sleeping in there.

I also saw similar stuff at CLO EUS.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
My died also died of mesothelioma - his exposure started in his teens and continued until they stopped using it. I figure his cancer took 60+ years to show up.

But I also blame his doctors for NOT paying attention to a spot on his lung x-ray months before his diagnosis. By the time they did a biopsy, it was stage four. Six months earlier, they may have caught it early enough to give him several more years of life.

He was still very vibrant at 80 during his last annual physical when they should have paid more attention to "that spot" on his lungs.

Mark Fisher

Im sorry to hear that Kathy. That is the exact point I am making. Don't wait. Tell the doctor early and have them keep an eye on your lungs. If someone is a smoker they have an even higher chance of getting it.

Be safe.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
thanks for mentioning that ...

A former commanding officer of mine on the submarine that I was on passed on last year from asbestos related lung cancer, that meso crapola kind. Perhaps I should get a check out as well.

Pete

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I have actually wondered about this over the years but not about freewinds.

While working on the renos of CLO EUS I saw what I thought was asbestos insulated pipes in a room below the street attached to the basement of the NY ORG.

The renos mission used the space as storage for tools and materials. I spent a lot of time in there, even sleeping in there.

I also saw similar stuff at CLO EUS.

It was quite common to use asbestos, particularly in commercial buildings. I'm wondering about how much asbestos is in the PAC complex, and whether that was a factor in the complex being sold cheaply enough for the Church to be interested in buying.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Thanks Mark, I wanted to post something like this in the "Remembering Apollo" thread, but this makes more sense as its own thread.
I shudder every time I read accounts of renos being done to the ancient Orgs/missions etc., working on 'Free (ha-ha)winds', and Michel's thread of cancer sufferings and deaths.
Asbestos exposure is a long-term sentence, it only takes a very small amount (a shred or two) to effect a cancer down the road.
I urge anyone who has spent time aboard the old ships, torn out the guts of buildings etc., to get checked every so often.... It is a really crappy way to die.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I've seen many TV commercials from attorneys just in the past month (in the Boston/Providence market) that specialize in just this area.

If you google "asbestos attorney mesothelioma" you'll see about a million or more sites!

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I'm very sorry to read about your father and Merlin Olsen dying of such a terrible disease, Mark. This post of yours is very important for every scientologist to read.

There have been threads here and on the other forums/boards about the asbestos on the ship and the potential to get this disease because of it. Lawrence Woodcraft did an extensive affidavit on it which readers can see here:
http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/LawrenceWoodcraftAsbestos.htm
There are other articles and videos linked in this article by Graham Berry:

PROMENADING WITH THE FREEWINDS FOLKSWednesday, May 21st, 2008
Mourning 21 years of Scientologist’s exposure to blue asbestos
http://www.grahamberry.com/?tag=lawrence-woodcraft

Mary McConnell

I have thought about posting this to alert people for a few days now because I did not want to scare everyone, but after thinking it over, I think it is a good idea for everyone to be aware of this early on rather than face the consequences later.

This past week, Merlin Olsen, the Pro Football Hall of Famer for the Los Angeles Rams and a former Football broadcaster and actor died at the age of 69 from Mesothelioma. He was diagnosed with it last year, way too late to be able to do anything effective to handle it before he passed on.

He was exposed to Asbestos in doing home construction in Utah in the 50s and early 60s when he was a teenager, some 50 years ago. The disease did not take over until he was 68 years old, yet he was exposed that long ago.

This story is personal to me because my father, who was a former Scientologist and OT, also died from Mesothelioma when he was only 66 years old. His exposure to asbestos was when he was in college on a summer job hauling the stuff and maybe when he was in the US Navy, but no one can remember any specific exposure then. He died some 45 years after the exposure.

I never was on the Freewinds vessel in the Sea Org, but many of my friends were on board and I want to make them aware of the fact that if they think they were ever exposed to the blue asbestos that is throughout the Freewinds, they should mention it NOW to their Doctor on their next visit to make sure that the Doctor is aware of it and can look for early symptoms and catch it early before it is too late.

Here is a link regarding Mesothelioma from Wikiepedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesothelioma

It describes the disease in some detail and the symptoms and treatments. Unfortunately, the treatments are not great at this time, but early detection makes it more likely to be treated. That is why I am alerting any former Sea Org Members who may have been exposed.

If you were involved in any renovations of the ship, you should get checked out. That is when the asbestos could have been airborne in dust particles.

Other famous people who have died from this disease include Steve McQueen, Warron Zevon and several others listed on the wiki site.

I am not advocating a law suit against Scientology since they knew that the asbestos was on board the ship from the day they purchased it and recently it was a big flap when they were renovating the ship. But there are probably legal remedies that one could persue if you so desire.

My point in alerting everyone is purely from the point of view of catching anything early. We want you all around for many years to come.

Sincerely, Mark Fisher