Belgium deciding if Scientology to face trial in criminal court

Discussion in 'France and Belgium' started by mnql1, Jan 10, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on January 9, 2014 on the website of the Belgian daily newspaper Le Soir:
    L’Eglise de Scientologie comparait devant la chambre du conseil

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

3. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

From Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, Saturday, January 11, 2014:
    More in the article:
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/01/11/our-man-in-europe-reports-on-belgiums-criminal-prosecution-of-scientology/

4. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on February 13, 2014 on the website of Belgium's French public broadcaster RTBF:
    L'Eglise de Scientologie devant la justice belge

5. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

6. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Re: Belgium: Scientology Criminal Trial? - Decision due March 13, 2014

Bumping this thread since the decision whether or not to criminally prosecute Co$/scientology is due in two days' time.

JB <----Just checked to ensure bottle of Veuve Clicquot is properly chilling. :) #BrutForceAlwaysBestsBruteForce)

7. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Thanks for the update, mnql1!

JB - The champagne will stay in the fridge for another 2 wks. :)
    Now, though, practicing Sazerac cocktail-making in anticipation of Judge Waldrip's ruling in the next 7 days or so re: Anti-SLAPP Motions to Dismiss.
    (I don't drink as a general rule, but certain celebrations require extra-special libations.)

9. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Re: Belgium deciding if Scientology to face trial in criminal court - Decision Due

Bump... because the decision is expected tomorrow.

JB

10. lotus

lotus autonomous rebellous

Belgium and France always, in the past, gave a rough time to the pseudo church!

I expect the same to come!

Thank you for the news! :thumbsup:

11. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Re: Belgium deciding if Scientology to face trial in criminal court - Decision Due

It's 1:00 a.m. in Brussels as I write this so hopefully by noon EST time on Thurs we'll hear some news.

12. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Re: Belgium deciding if Scientology to face criminal charges - Decision Due March 27

I sure hope so, too, Type4_PTS.:thumbsup:

The original deadline was March 13, and the Belgian authorities announced on that date that they needed another 2 weeks.
    So, we might only learn that they need a bit more time. :confused2:

I think, delayed decision or not, the authorities will decide to prosecute some, not all, of the cases currently under review.

JB

13. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Re: Belgium deciding if Scientology to face criminal charges - Decision Due March 27

March 13th is Hubbard's birthday.

Maybe they didn't want to spoil his party on Target Two? :coolwink::biggrin:

14. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Re: Belgium deciding if Scientology to face criminal court - Decision Made - YES!

An early news report (from the news agency Belga) says that the decision to prosecute has been made by Belgian authorities.

The Belgian branch of scientology and 10 individual members will face criminal charges.

Link to article here: http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/politiek_...verschijnt_voor_strafrechter.9483131-3136.art

Champagne, anyone?

JB (I'll try and find more articles to obtain details.)

15. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Re: Belgium To Prosecute Scientology As A Criminal Orginization? Yes!

Confirmed -- here's another link to a story with additional details: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=dmf20140327_01043367

The Belgian authorities decided that enough evidence exists so that Federal prosecutors in Belgium may now bring criminal charges against 2 groups + 10 individuals.

Groups: "Church of Scientology of Belgium" + "European Office For Public Affairs & Human Rights of the Church of Scientology International"

Against the groups, prosecutors now have authority to prove them to be criminal organizations, a legal determination which would jeopardize the groups' tax-exempt status in that country.

Against individuals, prosecutors now have authority to seek charges alleging illegal scams, practicing medicine illegally, breaches of privacy laws, and extortion.

From what I can read (and my Dutch isn't fabulous) the decision means that the investigative files have been pored over and, having sifted through everything, the empaneled authorities decided enough evidence exists to refer the matter directly to the criminal court system.
    Actual criminal charges have not been lodged at this point -- that task is left to the prosecutors within the criminal court system.

It's unclear whether the decision to refer the matters to the criminal court system is something Co$ can appeal or not.

JB

16. PannonPan

PannonPan Patron

YES YES YES :clap:

17. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article by the Belga News Agency posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014:
    Dix membres de la Scientologie renvoyés en correctionnelle

18. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

This is going to have repercussions world-wide. It has already influenced the government of Mexico to refuse religious status for the cult.

Good for Belgium. But it is in many ways a surprising place. :coolwink:

I believe the cult's lawyers will find it difficult to climb out of this hole.

19. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

This is fabulous news.

I offer to lead 'operation Chocolate Waffles' and move into the records department of the Belgium authorities before the Tom Cruise mission Snow White and 'French missing court files' miracles are performed. Anyone wishing to join me can meet me at 3am in my Euro_BI office. Bring your own photo copy paper and Blackberries as Davey is no longer supplying them, also recording devices and lock picks. Sorry, but if you have ever had any business dealings with the State of Texas or Baby sat Lisa Mcpherson at the Flag land base we will have to send you on a different overseas mission.

Hatting requirements: list of 44 lawyers vouched for by Wheephuckem and Howe
    optional: offshore accounts with only properly laundered funds to be used for order-in pizza to be delivered behind prison bars.

ML Tick Tok

phone HCOPL 21 Oct 1968

20. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Belgium will try two Scientology organizations and 10 Scientologists for fraud

Tony Ortega: Belgium will try two Scientology organizations and 10 Scientologists for fraud
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/03/27/be...rganizations-and-10-scientologists-for-fraud/

Excerpts: