Cancer and stress in Scientology

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Enthetan, Feb 26, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

I've been doing a little bit of looking, regarding why we have so many cancer deaths in Scientology, especially at the upper levels, and I felt like starting a fresh thread on it, to serve as a resource for Scientologists and ex-Scns coping with cancer and other chronic illnesses

From a National Institute of Health study
    Impact of stress on cancer metastasis

What happens to Scientologists, particularly in the upper OT levels?

They are under a lot of stress, and their social support networks are crippled.

Let's examine each of those two factors:

Stress: People on the OT levels are under constant pressure to come up with fresh money. OT eligibility and preps takes longer than the tech estimate. They have an "ethics sit" which can be handled with a generous contribution to IAS. They are ordered to sec checking at their own expense. They are ordered to get the next level paid for so that they can do an uninterrupted sequence and don't have to pay for more OT eligibility/preps if the leave and return. They have to take out loans and liquidate their retirement plans and mortgage their homes. It all creates lots of stress.

Social support networks are crippled: What is your social support network? It's the set of people with whom you feel safe talking about the problems in your life. Scientologists don't have that. They are not allowed to talk about their case. They are not allowed to express doubts or anger regarding Scientology. They can't even talk to their spouses, who are required to submit Knowledge Reports about any hint of "entheta" or disaffection. The net result is the Scientologist feels increasingly isolated, with nobody they can totally trust, nobody they can tell anything to and feel confident that it won't get back to the Ethics Officer, whether through a KR or from it coming up in a sec check. An upper level scientologist has no social support network.

The end result is that a Scientologist is much more likely than the average person to have reduced immunity and higher vulnerability to cancer.

2. Out/Int

Out/Int Patron with Honors

What a good thread for newly outers that have left the building - to read and discuss with some of the ole timers that know a lot more of what Scientological horrors stories peppering the internet daily.

Thanks for this thread.

I saw a heap ton of people get sick and die in Scientology. Such a minuscule group and so many DEATHS.

Young and healthy adults - dropped dead like flies.

A few suicides too and that the Co$ hid any details whilst they sprayed some rumor about how the person was a DB / Criminal / No Case Gain SP or they said "they say the internet" and they may have ...except they killed themselves because they could not handle the fact they were lied to, duped and betrayed beyond belief.

3. EZ Linus

EZ Linus BT-free since 2003!

Great thread.

Stress, also connected to hypertension which causes heart attacks and strokes, and all sorts of other shit -- as well as auto immune disorders like multiple sclerosis and lupus. I know at least one exScnist who has all three of those things.

4. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Strokes and also dementia as well. And I'm sure the stress and loss of social network exacerbates those conditions as well. Not to mention the feeling of total failure, that these things should not be happening to such "able beings".

It's pretty sad.

5. Out/Int

Most of the Scientologists in that meat grinding staff positions are at "total failure" and "being nothing" while they wax on smiles for the public.

They are poor, broke and grinding away at draining the last dime they can out of their own kids and parents.

Sickening

All for nothing!:nervous:

6. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

I've been staff, Sea Org, and public. Personally, I've seen more stress as public.

On staff and SO, I tended to go numb. It was a daily grind, I was poor, I needed sleep, but after a while I stopped caring. When you don't have any more caring left inside you, there is no more stress.

7. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Mayo Clinic: Chronic stress puts your health at risk

(more at the link)

There are many Scientologists who live in a chronic state of stress. It's not good for your health to be at "Red Alert!" much of the time. As the article notes, at "red alert", your body flows its energy to those systems which are important to "fight or run" response. Energy gets taken away from your body's immune system (which makes sense in a situation when you suddenly find yourself facing a hungry wolf -- fighting off germs and cancer cells can wait until you have fought off the immediate threat).

But, keep the stress response going too long, and bad things start happening with your body.

8. Irayam

Irayam Patron with Honors

And add to the top of all these factors quite a lot of tobacco and almost no medical care (either by "choice" or lack of money) and voilà...

Irayam

9. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Yep, both important factors.

Let's not forget dental care under the category of "medical care". Bad teeth can introduce infection into the rest of the body.

There is a great deal of importance to having yearly health checkups, which include comprehensive blood tests to check for blood sugar levels, cholesterol, and indications of cancer. Scientologists often don't do that, or go to a chiropractor or herbalist, or such.

Last year I had my yearly checkup. As part of it, they did an EKG test. When the doc looked at it, she told me to report to the hospital emergency room for more tests. If she hadn't caught that there was a situation there, I might be dead now.

10. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Is EKG standard testing for your age group? Anyway, glad they did it and caught the condition. Thinking of asking for one of those myself. Had a routine check-up last year and they did not do it. Only recommended colonoscopy.

11. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

EKG is not a routine part of checkups these days, but I reported that I was getting occasional twinges of chest pain when exerting myself.

12. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Two points here:

1) the stress and anxiety when on the solo levels in the cult is very much part of the cult's management practice intended by them to get their "stats" . . . the pre-OT client is constantly threatened by the system to "keep his/her stats up" . . . and any case difficulties encountered (usually caused by bum handling by the cult, not by any real goof by the pre-OT) threatens "loss of your eternity" if you don't buckle to the system and do as it dictates.
    The cult is killing itself with this scenario alone . . .

2) On the EKG thing . . . best is what is called a "Calcium Count" scan of the thorax. I had one last year (I won't bore you with details of why my med consultant MD suggested it) . . . it is very, very low dose "x-ray" scan of the thorax to pick up any sludge, plaque or calcification in the area.:biggrin::coolwink: Reason being, this is the shit that gums up the system and brings you down . . . the good news is that we found I am as clean as a whistle (and there are reasons for that!!!!)

My Doc was a little amazed and impressed, and I related to him the why and how come . . .
    Even my aorta down through my abdomen is absolutely clear, free and solid as a rock (no aneurysms).

The scan also shows the integrity of bone density in the area . . . i.e., absence of osteoporosis.

Looks like youse are going to have to put up with me for the next 100 years!:biggrin:

13. cleared cannibal

cleared cannibal Silver Meritorious Patron

Only been public but the pressure and stress is relentless if they know you have something to give. Couple that with some family members who are believers and the threat of disconnection and stress maybe an understatement . On kind of a play on Hubbard's "we would rather see you dead than unable" statement, it is kind of like we will get your money and soul or you will be declared suppressive.

I have noticed the last year or so they tend to back off and leave you alone some if you start throwing entheta at them. Has to be private comms not public of course. I think all the negative PR has had an effect. Not exactly sure how because the clams supposedly don't generally see it so I don't know if there has been new policy handed down from the top on how to deal with members and their entheta or that the reggs and execs do see more of this anti Scn things than they let on about.

I find it somewhat amusing that illness and death is treated as an an out ethics condition. Of the OTs I have known about that died there was really nothing mentioned about them officially. It is kind of like MacAurthur said about old soldiers, they just fade away.

14. TrevAnon

TrevAnon Big List researcher

15. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

At Flag there is a lot of moving around between other administrative and berthing buildings but at Big Blue you can virtually spend all your time inside except for a jaunt across the street to AO, the admin building behind it or around to Pubs. We even used to be able to go under Berendo to AO through a tunnel but I understand the city made them close it off. The ramp between the Main Building and ASHO was a brief respite with open windows on both sides but I suspect around the time of the Anonymous demonstrations they covered the windows with paper or something and never took it down. Blacking out windows and doors now seems to be SOP everywhere - very claustrophobic and paranoid.

For this thread I'd also add that stressful situations that stimulate adrenal hormones also tend to compromise reasoning capacity and perception can become tunnel visioned or narrowly focused. There is a trade off for response time and alertness. Police are very familiar with how witnesses have difficulty remembering things they clearly saw even though they were pumping adrenaline. Unless you become accustomed to functioning under these situations it is difficult to develop a balance. Scientologists may think that the tech and policy has equipped them to handle this long term but from my experience it grinds them down just like everyone else if not worse. Part of enduring stress in Scientology is self deception and compartmentalizing the fact that you are being used and manipulated and there is always some level of self awareness that that is happening.

And being in the Sea Org is like being in a clan of meerkats. Your buddies keep disappearing and you know it's just a matter of time before you join them.

16. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

An email regarding Robin Hanses, wife of Mark Hanses. Robin was a Reg at Seattle Org from around the mid-1980's until a year or so ago:

Part of the toll of being on staff. I'm going to guess that her cancer was diagnosed too late to do anything about.

I took out the phone number. Anybody who knew Robin can PM me and I'll pass it along.

17. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

For you guys with interest in knowing about handling cancer. Two links with very valuable and accurate and helpful info from my morning traffic . . .

And . .
    /

18. Out/Int

The stress is not only for Oat Tea's...$cienctology creates STRESS for EVERYONE in Scientology.

Everything you described above is what I experienced in Scientology ALL the time.

Whether you are on the OatTea levels or just starting on the Bridge - Scientology is going to create NOTHING BUT STRESS with the mind fucking constantly. Financial stress, stress about "ethics", stress about being, doing and donating enough to the cult...it is a constant mind fucking racket.

Then there are the staffer's and Sea Org Slaves...talk about stress. Talk about NO SUPPORT. Holy Xenu - it is rough on these people. NO money, no compassion, no care, no love, nothing - you get nothing but stress. Screamed at, made wrong, abused and neglected.

I saw many people die of cancer at young ages in Scientology. It is not just exclusive to the Oat Tea's.

With that in mind - the Oat Teas DIE of it because the stress has been for a VERY LONG DURATION and THAT IS SCIENCE.

SCIENTOLOGY KILLS!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  19. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Another article on the link between chronic sleep deprivation (like what happens to too many Scientologists, especially on staff) and cancer:

‘Catastrophic’ lack of sleep in modern society is killing us, warns leading sleep scientist

20. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant