What's new

Co$ Expected To Pay out $350,000 Settlement To Make Lawsuit Go Away

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Here's a new story from the St Pete Times (tommorrows paper):

Scientology benefits when Miami dentist runs up patient bills

By Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin, Times Staff Writers
In Print: Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rosa Hernandez remembers this about her dentist: He sure could close a deal.
She and her husband, Mauricio, had gone to Dr. Rene Piedra with a host of concerns. She had sensitive gums and a paralyzing fear of dentists. He needed bonding.
Piedra, dressed in a business suit instead of a dental coat, showed them computerized models of how he would fix their teeth. He offered them a discount because they came in together, and helped them with a loan application.
"He made you feel like he was part of your family," recalled Mrs. Hernandez, 52, a schoolteacher. "It was like, 'Oh my God, you're going to be okay. Don't worry about it. We are going to take care of you with love.' "
The couple walked out with a "treatment plan" covering several months.
Cost: $17,189 charged to the Capital One account the doctor set up for them. They had no idea, going in, that they would spend that kind of money.
Piedra closed hundreds of patients this way, signing them up for extensive treatment packages that generated millions. When patients wanted out and asked for a refund, many got the runaround.
But Piedra always seemed to have money for his favorite cause: the Church of Scientology.
From 2005 to 2008, court records show, Piedra's practice transferred $715,364 to several Scientology entities, including the church's spiritual headquarters in Clearwater.
A partial tally:
• Nearly $150,000 to the Scientology church in Kansas City.
• $121,500 to the International Association of Scientologists, which funds the church's social campaigns and legal actions.
• $55,000 to the Scientology entity raising money to complete the mammoth "Super Power" building in downtown Clearwater.
• $83,000 to the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises, a nonprofit corporation that helps businesses put Scientology principles to work.
Piedra's contributions helped land him in bankruptcy, owing $3.9 million to a long list of creditors. A lawsuit in Miami alleges that Scientology groups played a key role in his downfall.
Bankruptcy trustee Barry Mukamal contends Piedra schemed "to defraud patients in order to transfer large sums of money" to the Church of Scientology and related groups.
Involved, Mukamal alleges, were nine Scientology-related entities, three church members and a Pinellas County management training firm run by Scientologists. He sued them all, seeking to recover the thousands they got from Piedra.
Scientology denies any involvement.
The Scientology defendants "are innocent third parties drawn into a controversy they did not create," church spokesman Tommy Davis said. He said the church didn't manage Piedra's practice and isn't responsible for how he handled his creditors.
Piedra, 41, declined to be interviewed or answer written questions, citing advice from his lawyer.
In a hard-fought settlement expected to be approved this month, the church will pay $350,000 to make the case go away for the Scientology defendants. It has agreed to do so on the condition that the judge bar Piedra's creditors or other parties to the suit from suing the Scientology entities.

Read Full Story Here:
http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/reports/project/

Last edited:

Magnolia

Patron
Amazing... noticed the byline is by Tom Tobin. Of course the Cult of Money denies all involvement in this.
my condolences to the victims.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I noticed that in response to this story that Co$ spokesman Tommy David said:

"If an individual Scientologist were discovered to have done anything illegal the individual would be encouraged to report the matter to the proper authorities and if he/she failed to do so the Church would bring the matter to the attention of said authorities. This is Church policy.''
http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/church-of-scientologys-comment/1135424

Just was curious if any EX'es out there have heard of this alleged policy?
I never was aware of a policy of this nature during my close to 10 years involvement with CoS.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
But wait...there's MORE....

That was just the trailer for this movie, sports fans. Might as well get the jumbo tub of popcorn and settle in for this series. The first clue there is a LOT more the CofS wants to make go away is how quickly they offered up the payola. Hint: where does most of the Church's income come from? Professionals! through WISE groups designed to get them in. Who did this guy give $80 grand to? WISE! Hmmmmm, Churches biggest income source... being investigated...by journalists....:omg: Chinese FIRE DRILL!!!!!!!!!

That was just the trailer for this movie, sports fans. Might as well get the jumbo tub of popcorn and settle in for this series. The first clue there is a LOT more the CofS wants to make go away is how quickly they offered up the payola. Hint: where does most of the Church's income come from? Professionals! through WISE groups designed to get them in. Who did this guy give $80 grand to? WISE! Hmmmmm, Churches biggest income source... being investigated...by journalists....:omg: Chinese FIRE DRILL!!!!!!!!!

A whole category of scientology victims.
Victims who are not ex scientologist.

You do not even have to be silly enough to join a cult anymore.
They have *outreach programs* to make sure that everyone can be fleeced regardless of religious affiliation.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Pointing out the obvious

This is such terrible PR for the CofS that it will take a while to sink in...maybe. It's not just the Sunday edition of the best paper in Florida. It's all the worldwide internet and article mirroring this will get. Then, it goes out to millions and millions of people, that nagging suspicion, hmmmm I wonder if MY dentist( doctor, veterinarian, chiropractor, podiatrist, etc.) is a Scientologist? I think I may have seen one of those Way to Happiness books in his office, you know... OH, NO.. and now they all start to wonder if they were misdiagnosed or if they really needed all those services they were sold, and if THEIR money went to the CULT.

Dudes and dudettes, THIS you may see further investigated by CNN, ABC, BBC. Not this Dentist necessarily, but this money scheme of WISE groups training professionals to fleece people for advanced payments, the money going to the CofS before treatment has been performed. HUGE flap. The shit approaches the fan at high speed thusly:shithitfan:

paradox

ab intra silentio vera
Hope Piedra isn't fond of guns, ala Denver's Fowler. [Not that there aren't plenty other methods available.]

Feral

Rogue male
I had a factory manager who worked for me about ten years ago. We were both Scios, me far more active than him.

He had car trouble and I suggested that he should take it to a mutual friend, also a Scio. He said, "no, I never buy anything from Scientologists, they're always too expensive".

He was a cheap skate, true enough, but had worked pretty much exclusively for scios for years.

It always stayed with me. Never found an exception either.

paradox

ab intra silentio vera
I had a factory manager who worked for me about ten years ago. We were both Scios, me far more active than him.

He had car trouble and I suggested that he should take it to a mutual friend, also a Scio. He said, "no, I never buy anything from Scientologists, they're always too expensive".

He was a cheap skate, true enough, but had worked pretty much exclusively for scios for years.

My exceptions to the rule were "Theta Vites" from Peter Gillham's Sr. store and burgers from NY George's (restaurant across from LA's "Big Blue" on Fountain Ave). Early '80s. Otherwise no thanks to "Who What Where" listings (a small but very popular LA telephone directory for $cn businesses, before the CMO finance nazis blitzkrieg of the LA field businesses, especially those surrounding the complex and those in the WWW listings, who were accused of "leaching" off the orgs' publics i.e. funneling $ away from church coffers).

Oh, there was one other personal exception, a visit to a young Scn Dentist who was just starting out, in the same office area as Dr Denk's clinic I think, further down Fountain Ave. He did a hand-mixed, custom ceramic partial cap on a front tooth which I had chipped off the corner of when I was around 9 or so and never had fixed; still have that bit of handiwork work 28 years later; very reasonable price too. Of course, that was before WISE meant much if it even existed back then.

freethinker

Sponsor
SCIENTOLOGY'S comment
"Church of Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis said neither the church nor any of its related entities were involved in any way in the management of Dr. Rene Piedra's former dental practice."

This is a complete lie. By being a WISE member the church was involved and you can be sure the management of his dental practice was part of his OW's and confessionals

"Scientology also denies the bankruptcy trustee's allegations that Piedra and various church entities schemed to defraud patients while transferring $715,364 in patient payments to the church."

This might be more difficult to prove but I'm sure phone records and a close scrutinizing of his bank records could show church entity invovement.

"The Times asked the church to comment on the actions of Piedra and his staff. Spokesman Davis responded:
"The Church had nothing to do with the conduct of his financial matters. The Church of course does not condone any deceptive financial practices and such practices are considered by the Church to be unethical behavior.The Church is not privy to the facts of Dr. Piedra's matter.
''It is not the practice of Scientologists, and is anathema to Church teachings, for anyone to defraud another individual or engage in unethical personal or business activities."

I have had "church officials" call the bank impersonating me to push the loan through by Thursday at 2. They wrote the book on deceptive practices. And again WISE would be following his entire financial scene.

"Such behavior is frowned upon by the Church and if known about would affect an individual's standing in the Church if no action was taken to remedy the matter and correct any wrongs committed.
"If an individual Scientologist were discovered to have done anything illegal the individual would be encouraged to report the matter to the proper authorities and if he/she failed to do so the Church would bring the matter to the attention of said authorities. This is Church policy.''

The proper authorities that Tommy is reffering to here is the International Justice Chief. That is what the church considers the authorities. It is a suppressive act to report a Scientologist to the authorities without first contacting the IJC and receiving a reply. Of course IJC may not reply or tell you you are declared. Whatever suits. Deceptive lying.

I never was aware of a policy of this nature during my close to 10 years involvement with CoS.

Gus

Patron with Honors
My exceptions to the rule were "Theta Vites" from Peter Gillham's Sr. store and burgers from NY George's (restaurant across from LA's "Big Blue" on Fountain Ave). Early '80s. Otherwise no thanks to "Who What Where" listings (a small but very popular LA telephone directory for $cn businesses, before the CMO finance nazis blitzkrieg of the LA field businesses, especially those surrounding the complex and those in the WWW listings, who were accused of "leaching" off the orgs' publics i.e. funneling $ away from church coffers).

Oh, yeah, I remember NY George's and WWW from that time.

I also recall wondering whatever happened to WWW... I remember noticing rather suddenly that I hadn't seen any around for a few months. I asked around and it was all very hush-hush, like "ooh, it was squirrelly," or some such shit.

Leeching off the orgs. Jee-zus. Those little businesses were nothing compared to the leeching that Flag and the fucking IAS are doing these days. The businesses made a nice little community there, too. Then the "Church" ran them off. In that time period, the IAS did not exist. Neither were there any Ideal Org or Super Power registrars. Or $3,000.00 Basics Packages, etc. etc. There was only one reg to deal with :D

I stopped hiring Scientologist professionals (accountants, medical, legal, etc.) a long time ago. Aside from a very limited selection, I didn't want to hire somebody I couldn't sue if they screwed up. I now have an excellent doctor, attorney, and tax man, Scientologists none, and I've never had to sue anybody.

Sorry, I got to rambling there.

Gus

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors

:omg: I better right to the Church so they can report some Scientology members:dieslaughing: What a joke as if. That could not be further from the truth.

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious

I have another side of the same coin: A scientologist business owner told me he do not hire scientologists because they would either demand an high salary or soon leave to start they own business to get money required by Co$.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
A pittance for them.

The good part is word is getting around they are no longer invincible in court.

More people will come out of the woodwork and file suits.

This is all good. They need 'em some more expensive lawyers :)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Here's an update to this story published earlier today:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...ients-Claim-He-Owes-Them-Money-139373808.html

Dentist Back in Business, Past Patients Claim He Owes Them Money

By Lisa Orkin Emmanuel | Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 | Updated 6:02 PM EST

A well-known Miami dentist, who says he was forced to lose his practice in 2008, is back in business.

Dr. Rene Piedra’s bankruptcy case is wrapping up. Meanwhile, dozens of patients claim they are still owed money for dental work that was incomplete or never started.

Five years ago Piedra’s sedation dentistry practice in Coral Gables had thousands of patients and was taking in millions of dollars.

“In ’05 he did 7.2 million, in ’06, he did 8.6 million, in ’07 did almost $8 million and then everything started collapsing,” said bankruptcy trustee Barry Makumal.

In response to written questions, Piedra wrote he was “unprepared for the dramatic turn the economy would take” and “would have liked nothing more than to continue that practice providing exceptional dental care.”

A former patient, Rolando Barrero, said “I feel that I was not only robbed, I feel I was violated.”

Barrero went to see Piedra in 2005. He has a copy of the check he gave the dentist for more than $19,000 before starting an extensive treatment plan that called for scaling and crowns. Barrero said none of this was done. “No. Nothing, nothing.”

Barrero claims he repeatedly tried to make appointments with Piedra but was only given excuses.

“You can see the letter my attorney sent him requesting the return of money. We never receive the money we never receive any answer” said Barrero.

Barrero is among the many creditors listed in Piedra’s bankruptcy case.

Arising from that bankruptcy came a claim against the Church of Scientology , related enterprises and high ranking church officials, according to the court appointed trustee and his attorney.

“The business side of the practice was encouraged by the church and its affiliates and obviously there was a deep connection between the two,” said Makumal.

That connection was discovered when financial documents were pulled, specifically for years 2005 to 2008, by the bankruptcy trustee.

“In the midst of all this we find out that a certain amount of money over the course of that fraudulent transfer period was paid to Church of Scientology entities,” said the trustee’s attorney Frank Terzo.

That is the crux of the complaint. The trustee states Piedra’s practice “perpetrated a scheme to defraud patients,” and in the four years prior to the bankruptcy filing approximately $2.2 million were transferred from the practice to various Church of Scientology-related entities.

“We did settle with the church for almost, with all the affiliates approximately $400,000,” said Makumal.

The Church of Scientology wrote NBC Miami: “These defendants were not involved in the management of Dr. Piedra’s practice . They were innocent third parties drawn into a controversy they did not create.”

Regarding the accusations in the complaint, Piedra said a trial “ would ultimately have proven the trustee’s allegations incorrect. I chose instead to reach a settlement with the trustee.”

Now the trustee is looking into claims from disgruntled former patients like attorney Monica Albarello. In 2006 she was approved for a $5,000 line of credit for Invisalign to straighten her teeth, which was never completed.

“I got one filling and three trays out of twelve” said Albarello.

She stopped going to Piedra’s practice after he suggested additional treatments were required before continuing with Invisalign

“So I called Dr. Piedra’s office and told them my second opinion dentist told me that I have nothing that you guys are finding. I asked for a refund but they refused because we had started treatment so I didn’t get my money back,” Albarello said.

Meanwhile, Piedra has opened a new practice in Pinecrest.

“To know he’s practicing again it’s upsetting. I don’t think he should,” said Albarello.

“People that took less money than him has been in jail for a long time. I don’t understand how he can do what he is doing now,” said Barrero

Piedra said he is no longer associated with the Church of Scientology. Once the bankruptcy proceeding is completed, he claims he will work with each patient to verify what they paid, what treatment was received what they are owed and how he can make it right.

Here's a new story from the St Pete Times (tommorrows paper):

Scientology benefits when Miami dentist runs up patient bills

By Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin, Times Staff Writers
In Print: Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rosa Hernandez remembers this about her dentist: He sure could close a deal.
She and her husband, Mauricio, had gone to Dr. Rene Piedra with a host of concerns. She had sensitive gums and a paralyzing fear of dentists. He needed bonding.
Piedra, dressed in a business suit instead of a dental coat, showed them computerized models of how he would fix their teeth. He offered them a discount because they came in together, and helped them with a loan application.
"He made you feel like he was part of your family," recalled Mrs. Hernandez, 52, a schoolteacher. "It was like, 'Oh my God, you're going to be okay. Don't worry about it. We are going to take care of you with love.' "
The couple walked out with a "treatment plan" covering several months.
Cost: $17,189 charged to the Capital One account the doctor set up for them. They had no idea, going in, that they would spend that kind of money.
Piedra closed hundreds of patients this way, signing them up for extensive treatment packages that generated millions. When patients wanted out and asked for a refund, many got the runaround.
But Piedra always seemed to have money for his favorite cause: the Church of Scientology.
From 2005 to 2008, court records show, Piedra's practice transferred $715,364 to several Scientology entities, including the church's spiritual headquarters in Clearwater.
A partial tally:
• Nearly $150,000 to the Scientology church in Kansas City.
• $121,500 to the International Association of Scientologists, which funds the church's social campaigns and legal actions.
• $55,000 to the Scientology entity raising money to complete the mammoth "Super Power" building in downtown Clearwater.
• $83,000 to the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises, a nonprofit corporation that helps businesses put Scientology principles to work.
Piedra's contributions helped land him in bankruptcy, owing $3.9 million to a long list of creditors. A lawsuit in Miami alleges that Scientology groups played a key role in his downfall.
Bankruptcy trustee Barry Mukamal contends Piedra schemed "to defraud patients in order to transfer large sums of money" to the Church of Scientology and related groups.
Involved, Mukamal alleges, were nine Scientology-related entities, three church members and a Pinellas County management training firm run by Scientologists. He sued them all, seeking to recover the thousands they got from Piedra.
Scientology denies any involvement.
The Scientology defendants "are innocent third parties drawn into a controversy they did not create," church spokesman Tommy Davis said. He said the church didn't manage Piedra's practice and isn't responsible for how he handled his creditors.
Piedra, 41, declined to be interviewed or answer written questions, citing advice from his lawyer.
In a hard-fought settlement expected to be approved this month, the church will pay $350,000 to make the case go away for the Scientology defendants. It has agreed to do so on the condition that the judge bar Piedra's creditors or other parties to the suit from suing the Scientology entities.

Read Full Story Here:
http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/reports/project/

Well, as if I didn't have enough reason to avoid going to the dentist...now I've got to watch out for Scientologist rip-off artists??? :duh: :angry:

Hay, Dios mio!!! :grouch:

Well, COS sure hung Piedra out to dry, didn't they? :ohmy: It really is all about THE MONEY! :grouch:

So, can we create a LISTING of WISE member dentists and other health care providers to AVOID giving our business to?

Feral

Rogue male

The ref. is called "Ethics and the C/S". God knows how that just came to me.

That it wasn't applied in the child sex abuse cases around Sydney is noteworthy, there are many contradictory refs about high crimes and more for bringing Scientology into disrepute.