CoS PR stinking up the place!

Discussion in 'Scientology Front Groups and Alliances' started by SchwimmelPuckel, Nov 13, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. SchwimmelPuckel

SchwimmelPuckel Genuine Meatball

Video at Blip.TV: Writers of the Future 2008 Awards Ceremony

Writers of the Future is a CoS PR effort. The strategy has been to play the show without too much pushing of Hubbard, execpt the name of the Awards, and never CoS.

So it's a different kind of 'Front Group'. But to PR it is as much a front group as CCHR and all the others.

The 'operation' has been (very) successful, in that the Awards has been accepted in the SF community. With dignitaries like Larry Niven and Pournelle represented. (Those guys aren't scilons or even sympathetic I should think!)

Well, it's a bloody shame that Hubbard didn't stick to Science Fiction.. Erh.. Lemme' correct that.. He did stick to Science Fiction! - It's a shame he fooled a lot of people that his 'philosophy' was not Science Fiction..

But this WOTF event makes a lot of Hubbard asskissing. It's quite out of the ordinary..

Thread at OCMB about this: If you can watch this without wanting to projectile vomit...

:spacecraft:

2. sandygirl

sandygirl Silver Meritorious Patron

Well SP I took your challenge and now I have to change clothes!!! Thanks for making me late!!!
    Seriously, what is with the rather well endowed chick (visibly lacking "support") at about 14:04 who says her and LRH "obviously go back awhile" or some such nonsense. Could this estemeed awards show be rigged?

3. Pixie

Pixie Crusader

4. SchwimmelPuckel

Haha.. She liked Battlefield Earth.. I did too.. I was more positively inclined to Ronny when I read that. And possibly I'm a poor judge of literary quality.. :D

How about the guy just before her? - Robert Castillo: ".. grateful to L. Ron Hubbard.. I learned so much about this man this past week.. An amazing guy.. I mean.. This is like the 'real' Indiana Jones.. Arh,, He's done so many things.."

Mewhaha.. Sounds like he bought some scilon PR!

Well.. It's rigged allright. But not throughout. I think they keep WOTF rigorously separate from the cult. The idea is to bolster Hubbards public image and credibility.. The desired PR 'product' follows from that. They get to 'own' the intire literary field of SF and keep critizism out.

I don't think any SF yarn that is critical or even lampooning CoS will ever win. Amusingly, Hubbards own Mission Earth would probably be thrown out had it not been written by himself.

Official website: Writers of the Future
    There's a forum there too. Just for kicks, I did a search for the word 'scientology' on the boards. No match!!?? - So they probably keep that topic the hell out of there. Even if not critical.. Well, that's sound strategy i guess.

:wiggle:

5. Veda

Veda Sponsor

"Perhaps the strangest sort of front group is the kind that overtly promotes the name and 'image' of L. Ron Hubbard. One of these, consisting of people who never knew him, is called 'Friends of L. Ron Hubbard'. This type of Front exists in order to promote the idea of the popularity of Hubbard with 'millions', including multitudes of grateful 'Wogs'. (On the topic of 'LRH image' there's even 'tech' for obtaining 'City Proclamations' and the like, honoring Hubbard. These are displayed as though they were offered by appreciative non-Scientologists, when, in truth, they were aggressively sought and obtained.)

"One area where Hubbard's name is publicized, with the pretense of being separate from Scientology, is in the world of Science Fiction literature. While there are non-Scientologists who enjoy some of Hubbard's early fiction works, they too often think of Scientology as a bizarre departure from an otherwise respectable writing career. Scientology cannot use these people. It becomes necessary, therefore, to produce people who 1) adore all of Hubbard's fiction writings, 2) claim to have no connection to Scientology, 3) and have not a single 'critical' thing to say about it, making such statements as, 'I know nothing about Scientology, I'm an Episcopalian'. Hubbard's fiction writings (available through the front group called Author Services) will be found to have a number of quietly catered to admirers; often these are aspiring authors hoping to receive sizable cash awards, and to be included in the 'L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future' short story anthologies. One such admirer was invited by Author Services to the premier of the movie 'Battlefield Earth' in Los Angeles in May of 2000. As described by the Riverside, California 'Press Enterprise':

" 'He walked on the red carpet down the center of Hollywood Boulevard and even shook hands with John Travolta. And even though some movie critics had panned the film, he had no complaints'."

Excerpted from the Front Groups chapter of 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels'.

http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/ambry1.html

Author Services:

http://www.authorservicesinc.com/index1.html

6. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Well, their infomercial delivery is about as good as their tech delivery.....both make me want to run away screaming loudly.

7. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

Ok, I couldn't make it past a few seconds of it, when that girl in the ugly black dress came out and starts describing travels,etc...:puke2:

Were all the people there non-scn's?! I wouldn't think they'd have such large pics of lconblubbard at a non-scn event like that?!

So...someone just tell me what happens?

8. Carnaubawax

Carnaubawax Patron Meritorious

HaHa - quite right - that dress really didn't work!

I'm always fascinated by the cheapness of everything the CofS does.

Everything looks fake.

9. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

There isn't more than a couple hundred people there, if that. :confused2:

It was held at Author Services so it can't be very big.

10. SchwimmelPuckel

Well a couple of hundred people would be natural I think. This thing is comparable to the movies Emmy, but for SF writers and illustrators. Where the movie industry is giii-normous and the SF book industry is of more humble proportions. In terms of people working in it, and dollars.

But Scientologys SF awards aren't the most prestigious. In fact I have never seen advertised on a book that it had won the WOTF award.

The awards I have seen:
    The Hugo Award is the most prestigious (impression I get from reading lots of SF without having thought about awards at all). The Hugo is voted on by World Science Fiction Society (WSFS), which is fandom, which is the most avid readers.

The Nebula Award is another very respected award.

The Locus Index to Science Fiction Awards has a nice overview.. And this to say about WOTF:
    :wiggle:

11. Div6

Div6 Crusader

That be becuz they pay the judges sum cash monies...which is one thing Hubbard squezzed out of everyone around him.........

12. Tim Skog

Tim Skog Silver Meritorious Patron

:puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2:

AND THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY! OOPS.............:puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2: :puke2:

WHEW!

13. Carnaubawax

Carnaubawax Patron Meritorious

I just figured out why Gunhild's dress looks so awful. The poor thing is wearing it back to front.

14. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

:laugh:

15. Tim Skog

Tim Skog Silver Meritorious Patron

Oh, you're such a bad boy.:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

(I do enjoy your threads).

16. klidov

klidov Silver Meritorious Patron

*sick sound*

It make me want to put a sharp stick in my eyes to make it stop!

:omg:

17. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

They are so prestigious, I have never heard of any of them.