What's new

Dick Glass

loiepoo

Patron
I remember him vaguely too. He is on facebook. I just googled him and it came up with his pic and everything. Don't know if he is still in Scn tho.

Thunderhead

I knew Dick Glass very well. I'm a musician, and he set me up in 1979 with some contacts in LA after hearing my demo tape. Nothing much came of that, but I did some studio work with him in Portland, including theme music for a local cable talk show he did for a while.

I met him in '74 when he did a show for us at the Portland mission, as "The Eloquent Elephant." Sadly, he died of complications of diabetes, I believe it was in the early '80s. I heard the poor guy lost both feet, and didn't last long after that.

I think I still have a LP of his album "The Elephant" somewhere.

Peace

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi;
I met Dick Glass in Toronto. He signed my billion year sea org contract, and I still have it!

Wow, an autographed billion year contract :biggrin:
Welcome to the forum, piper!!

It was really weird to see his name here, it's been a long time since I thought of him. I didn't really know him, but I knew a woman that he had a relationship with when she was, surprise surprise, 14.
Anyway, the reason this caught my eye is because 18 years ago I almost gave up my daughter for adoption to a Scientology couple in Glendale. After she was born I changed my mind. I felt really terrible for it, but there was nothing to be done - I was keeping her. The church sent people to my house to get me to change my mind, I got a letter from the C/S telling me that I was going to infect my daughter with my abberations. One of the people who came to my house was an OT 8? staff auditor who told me that I should give her up because I was interfering with an agreement made between the couple and my daughter - who they felt sure was none other than...... Dick Glass.
So according to some, "he" is living right here in Oregon with me. I'll pass on the messages! :))

Don't know how I missed this one! This is a classic! Welcome to ESMB, SoylentNight!! Hope to see more from you here.

Idahosprings

Wow, an autographed billion year contract :biggrin:
Welcome to the forum, piper!!

Don't know how I missed this one! This is a classic! Welcome to ESMB, SoylentNight!! Hope to see more from you here.

Thanks everyone for the data they gave on Dick Glass. Liked his music and his Toronto appearances when I was staff there, and later at St Louis org when I was staff there. Still have a real Record album of his in good shape. Think I will digitize it as well as all the other past Scio performers like incredible String Band from UK, the road from the Buffalo Org area and the ones Stanley Clarek made while he was a scio.
Idahosprings:yes:

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
I met him when he came to the Richardson Mission to perform & recruit for the SO. After the performance a friend of mine, Dick & myself went to see..... are you ready for it?

To see JAWS! It was opening weekend in the Dallas area. He had wanted to see it & so did we. We were in high school & had a blast going out with him - he was a perfect gentleman.

The movie scared the crap out of me at one point & I almost ended up in his lap. We all laughed & went out to eat after the movie.

He was a gentle spirit & wish he had received the help he needed.

Rest in peace....

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
Dick Glass, the musician, did an event at my org while I was on staff. He was a very funny friendly man.

For whatever reason he was using the desk next to mine one night. I think he was doing call-in, I don't know.

I don't really remember talking to him, or what I said, I had my son with me that night, which was rare, he was like 4 years old.

Anyway Mr Glass told me a few things. One was to quit smoking. He said the docs made him quit cause they were killing him.

He mentioned that when he met John Lennon he really knew he was meeting someone. (Like a big being thing)

And he told me he used to try to give Donovan a song, but to no avail. He said Donovan told him to listen, at a show one night, for a particular song.

It was Hurdy Gurdy Man. And Mr. Glass claimed it was about, or for, him. I've tried to verify that one or twice, no idea if he was making it up.

No matter. I'd say talking to Dick Glass, with my son, might be my biggest win in scn.

I didn't attend the event. I certainly helped set it up, I was a good laborer, but I hated event's and usually left. Lot's of damn event's. I was hco then anyway and off the 6 lines. I'm sure they would have liked me at least selling books. lol

He was around the org for several days and really was a nice guy.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
From an old San Francisco Gateway magazine

pxekl.jpg

seltaeb

I'm hoping you don't think I'm here under false pretenses, as this is nothing at all to do with Scientology... other than the fact Dick Glass chose to go that route in the late 60s.

I'm a writer, researching Dick's mid-'60s New York singer-songwriting career for a book project. I found this fascinating thread, and registered to send a private message to Cherub and maybe a couple of others asking if they could help put me in touch with former band members and friends. But apparently I have to make two public posts first. So this is the first, in which I'll make a general appeal for help and information...

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
I briefly knew Dick from CC on 8th St in LA. While I felt he was talented & funny there was his penchant for those underage girls that I really wasn't going to ever think was acceptable.

So, I distanced myself from him & didn't keep up with him. I'm always sad to hear someone passed all too soon from this physical plane.

scn'gists seem to have more health issues as they get older than the population at large.

Hypatia

Pagan
I briefly knew Dick from CC on 8th St in LA. While I felt he was talented & funny there was his penchant for those underage girls that I really wasn't going to ever think was acceptable.

So, I distanced myself from him & didn't keep up with him. I'm always sad to hear someone passed all too soon from this physical plane.

scn'gists seem to have more health issues as they get older than the population at large.

Yes. They work themselves half to death, filled with Hub's bullshit about how the body wants to be pushed, getting your necessity level up, OTs can be cause over MEST, etc. It's excuses for da cherch to exploit them and they fall for it. Their health gets ruined.

Gib

Crusader
Yes. They work themselves half to death, filled with Hub's bullshit about how the body wants to be pushed, getting your necessity level up, OTs can be cause over MEST, etc. It's excuses for da cherch to exploit them and they fall for it. Their health gets ruined.

It took me about a year after I left to realize what you say, and to just calm down and enjoy life, and not do the NOW, NOW, NOW thing the COS demands of public & staff 24/7. But you explain the hidden hypnosis, brainwashing, or whatever very well. Once one agrees with Ron, why they are pushing themselves to extremes, Ron employed motivation very adroitly in his writings. OT & Clear, yah, Ron gets one to think they are, putting on a happy face, pushing themselves to go OT, all the while Ron's writings are sitting in their minds telling them if you want to go OT you have to be OT. Ron's writings are suggestion of the hypnotic operator.

Koot

Patron with Honors
I met Dick Glass while on staff at the Portland Mission in the early 80's. He did a performance for us in the practical room I think. Just himself and his acoustic guitar. I was and still am a musician and was very impressed with his sweet gentle all pervasive presence. It was enchanting.

About the only two things I remember about him was that he was dating Daphne, ( who is still in the sea org BTW) and he had a small red sports car, possibly a fiat, that listed to the drivers side when he drove off in it. I may have seen him perform, but have no recall of it.

Mimsey

phenomanon

Canyon

Distancing myself from the Elephant was my solution too.
On the Health Issue, I don't think so.