Dreams - REM sleep and time

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Mimsey Borogrove, Jul 18, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

This is a really interesting discussion between Joe Rogan and Mathew Walker, about what goes on when you close your peepers. Starting at 29:00 they move into discussing how you play back the days activity during sleep. How scientists took rats and ran them through mazes, recording the brain waves as they learned the maze - when the rats were sleeping, they replayed the exact brain waves patterns - but 20 x faster. Sorta like the film Inception.

Earlier they discussed that DJ that set a record for staying awake - he got to the point he was dreaming while awake, all those pictures (hallucinations) he would see that were dream manifestations. The problems with alcohol and pot effecting REM sleep were also discussed - I am 25% of the way through it. Way cool.

Matthew Walker is Professor of Neuroscience and Psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, and Founder and Director of the Center for Human Sleep Science. Check out his book "Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams" on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1501144316

2. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Sleep time must occur to get rid of brain toxins that build up during waking hours.

The content of my dreams are usually weird distortions about events or thoughts I had in the last 24 hours.

3. Mimsey Borogrove

Next they go into the importance of sleep to performance enhancement, and how important it is to performance. " practice alone does not make perfect - practice with a good nights sleep does - 20-30% improvement,"
    Mimsey

4. Irayam

Irayam Patron with Honors

So, we have found the why scientology is failing...
    Staffs must have more sleeping time in order to improve performance!!
    :tobed:
    Irayam

5. Mimsey Borogrove

use of sleep as a creative tool:
    Edison would take a lot of naps during the day - he would hold steel ball bearings in his hand he would nod off, muscles would relax, ball bearings fall into dish at his feet waking him - he would write down what he thought of in the dream starts around 40 min in - they discuss how sleep assembles learning bits into cohesive sequences. The importance of sufficient sleep before a performance.

Reading on an I pad at night and effect on brain production of melatonin ( 3 hr delay affecting deep sleep) apx 48 min

Then they go into insomnia and remedies for it.

around 58 min - relation to sleep, longevity, Alzheimer's, cancer

around 1-10 drowsy driving - micro sleep - later school start times resulted in a 70% drop in teen age drivers car accidents - 212 sat test point score increase.

relation to sleep deprivation in political leaders such as Regan and Thacher and their Alzheimer's around 1:30

They wrap up discussing dr's - residents and their 36 hr awake at the ward - the higher percent of mis-diagnoses and accidental patient deaths, and how many of them have car wrecks on the way home after the shift and end up in the ER as a patient. The history of how it started and cocaine.

Mimsey

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  6. Mimsey Borogrove

One of the points in the lecture is the relation of lack of sleep to cancer, Alzheimer's. He was discussing Reagan and Thacher - both of whom bragged about getting by on 4 hrs of sleep and both had Alzheimer's. They skirted discussing Trump who also brags of low sleep.

The main reason for the connection was the brain cleanses itself during sleep, and the buildup of toxins from lack of sleep seems to be linked to Alzheimer's. I don't want to go down that road.

I remember when I was on 7 and I would frequently get 4- 5 hrs and I got increasingly more stressed out the longer I was on the level. The past few years since I was booted out of Scientology, I have been getting 5-6 hrs a night. Subsequent to my listening to the podcast, I have been trying to get 7 hrs. Its amazing the difference.

I wonder how many others on 7 had similar sleep issues. I would get up early to do a session or 2 before running off for a full days work. Seldom was I in a position that I could do sessions during the day. At the end of the day, I might get in another, before resuming the paper work my business generates till late at night. Because of the income demands I ended putting in many long work days to generate the money to be on the level - it was a rat race. It was unhealthy, and I am trying to undo the damage, thus my interest in these sort of topics.

Mimsey