What's new

Ex-Scn Still on Mailing Lists. Close with Scn Family, Haven't been active for years

nolongersilent

Hi all,

I just moved out here to San Francisco and changed my mailing address and got a mailing from IAS. How. The. Fuck. Do you have my new address? I haven't done any services in over 10 years. It was a weird wakeup call because I got SO SO IRRATIONALLY angry at this letter. I realize that I've been intentionally ensuring that I don't communicate with the orgs to stop myself from being angry. And that was a wakeup call that I need to talk to someone.

My parents are field auditors and very active. They've known I'm not into it for about 10 years and it's been fine although I think my Dad thinks I just haven't seen the light or something. But I need to talk to someone about this and be open about who I am. I intentionally tell few people how I was raised because then the stupid questions start but it has shaped who I am and I obviously have some residual anger. So I think it's time to talk to people.

I didn't have a particularly negative experience although I'm angry about financial difficulties that arose because my parents were financially stupid. It's not a horror story. The actual philosophy of Scientology, for the most part, I don't have a problem with and many things I agree with.

But I hate the organization. What shitty processes and stupid authority figures.

Anyway rambling a bit - how was your struggle to move on? How did you finally get comfortable to say "i'm an ex-scientologist, and this is how I think, independent of outside influence"

Thanks in advance for responses.

Last edited:

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: Ex-Scn Still on Mailing Lists. Close with Scn Family, Haven't been active for yea

All your past addresses, email, phone numbers including your cell could be on this site: truepeoplesearch.com

Go to the bottom to of the page, click on Privacy to remove your name.

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Re: Ex-Scn Still on Mailing Lists. Close with Scn Family, Haven't been active for yea

Hi all,

I just moved out here to San Francisco and changed my mailing address and got a mailing from IAS. How. The. Fuck. Do you have my new address? I haven't done any services in over 10 years. It was a weird wakeup call because I got SO SO IRRATIONALLY angry at this letter. I realize that I've been intentionally ensuring that I don't communicate with the orgs to stop myself from being angry. And that was a wakeup call that I need to talk to someone.

My parents are field auditors and very active. They've known I'm not into it for about 10 years and it's been fine although I think my Dad thinks I just haven't seen the light or something. But I need to talk to someone about this and be open about who I am. I intentionally tell few people how I was raised because then the stupid questions start but it has shaped who I am and I obviously have some residual anger. So I think it's time to talk to people.

I didn't have a particularly negative experience although I'm angry about financial difficulties that arose because my parents were financially stupid. It's not a horror story. The actual philosophy of Scientology, for the most part, I don't have a problem with and many things I agree with.

But I hate the organization. What shitty processes and stupid authority figures.

Anyway rambling a bit - how was your struggle to move on? How did you finally get comfortable to say "i'm an ex-scientologist, and this is how I think, independent of outside influence"

Thanks in advance for responses.

:welcome2: nolongersilent!

When was the last time you received mail at your old address? If you were getting mail at the old address, they could have notified of the change if the mailings they sent you were returned. They would then update their records. But since it's just an ISA mailing, it is possible that someone informed them of your new address, like your parents or someone you know who is also a scientologist besides them. It couuld also be coincidental and the IAS is doing updates and received your current address from one of the services they pay to get updated addresses. Anyone with a credit record would have their address updates, and often credit giving companies pay to get them, and may even resell them to these people search companies. Scn is known for paying the small fee per person to get updated address.

You could ask to get off the list by threatening to go legal on them if the mailings persist, but you would then be labeled SP. Then your parents and Scn friends would be forced to disconnect. If you look at the bottom of this tread you started, you will probably see a list of similar threads on mailing list. Click them, read and see if any of those posts are helpful.

You have come to the right place. Just beware that if you don't want someone reading your posts and being able to figuring out who you or your parents are, do be elusive on posting personal or identifying details that would make problems, since your parents are active and you are posting publicly. In time, after you post a bit here, get to know others here, you will find the confidence you now lack at feeling comfortable in speaking up. But it's important that you keep in mind that disconnection of families is one of OSA's tools and attempts will be made if OSA or someone at the church finds out you are posting here.

Leaving Scientology is a process not unlike peeling away the layers of an onion. The best thing you can do right now is read all you can on the internet, and here, and share what you can, as you can. There are some really good people here, many use nic names to protect themselves. Post a rant.. go ahead. It really feels good! But keep an eye on the details

~ Mary

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

If you Google yourself you will probably find it isn't very difficult to figure out but I'd guess they got your new address from the post office or someone you know.

Scientologists are so indoctrinated into spilling their guts to the Church that it is virtually impossible for them to not answer questions like that and the CF people are so well trained to get Scientologists to answer that they won't let them off the hook until they do.

You can get yourself declared by making a public statement of disavowal of Scientology or deliver a legal threat in writing. Maybe less effective but more entertaining would be to reply with a discussion about Xenu. Or, you can toss the mail into the recycling bin knowing that you are helping to bleed them dry a bulk mail stamp at a time.

renegade

You will not believe the info on truepeoplesearch.com until you try your own name.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

You're walking a tightrope....you have to weigh the annoyance of getting mailings and not being able to speak your mind freely to those still in....vs the risk of having people that you care about put in the position of having to make the decision whether to stay a Scientologist or disconnect from you should you get declared.

So you can speak your truth and maybe get declared and lose loved ones...or stay silent and put up with the coercive BS and have the org think you're still one of them. And get their stupid mailings forever and ever.

It's a position a lot of us have been in. A lot of us walked away from a lot in order to be free. Others are still "living under the radar."

You have to do what's best for you. There's no easy answers, but you do have friends here who understand the dilemma you're faced with.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

If you want to stay in contact with any people still in scn then you toss the junk mail in the trash - right with the endless greasy pizza offers for a $5 large.

Or, you can go down to the org, make a fuss in the lobby, threaten to sue, scream confidential data & curse old Ron. Yes, you be declared an SP & all scn'gist that you know will disconnect from you.

The good news is that somewhere about the 5 th year after you do that your junk cult mail will start to slow. The ' Dead File ' process is slow & trickles from org to org all over the world.

A few orgs will never get the word & some 10 years out from your good feeling outburst you'll only have a trickle of cult junk mail.

Every piece of mail out is a STAT for somebody that'd like to be paid something that week, have a shot a libs that next weekend so they can see their kids.

Yeah, you'll get slipped back on the mailing list with a slight variation of your name.

To get off the mailing list requires getting declared & dead filed - and then you'll only get a slow down of cult junk mail.

Did I mention scn is psychotic ? If you like it, go for it !

Last edited:

JackStraw

All your past addresses, email, phone numbers including your cell could be on this site: truepeoplesearch.com

Go to the bottom to of the page, click on Privacy to remove your name.

Thanks, a thousand times for this info.

Wow, there are a lot of me out there!

I followed the instructions and requested removal from the site.

Thanks again!:happydance:

Jack

renegade

Thanks, a thousand times for this info.

Wow, there are a lot of me out there!

I followed the instructions and requested removal from the site.

Thanks again!:happydance:

Jack

Yes, it is surprising how this info gets collected and the price is right for scn to find and call your new cell phone number.

On a side note, I did locate some long lost friends.

JackStraw

Yes, it is surprising how this info gets collected and the price is right for scn to find and call your new cell phone number.

On a side note, I did locate some long lost friends.

Yep. The old double-edged sword.

While I'm not "on the run" I do prefer being hard to find.:yes:

Jack

cleared cannibal

Yep. The old double-edged sword.

While I'm not "on the run" I do prefer being hard to find.:yes:

Jack

This a major reason I have stayed off FB.

I search myself now and then and while there is a few things it is minimal.

I have a fairly common name and I get more Scn mailings for others with my name than those really directed toward me. For example I got a special invitation to the opening of super power because I was a cornerstone member. Never donated a cent that I know of.

I think it best to just throw it away. Responses even negative ones only make them want to handle you.

anon1

Patron

I have moved a lot since leaving so luckily they can't track me. I had to change my surname on fb as I didn't want any scn stuff coming up. The other day I got another email in my junk saying I had money on account, I replied asking for them to refund it to me and gave them my sort code and account number. I then blocked that email address, I'm praying for a low key dead file. You should see how many blocked email address I have and still I get more mails from random orgs or narconon.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron

If you want to stay in contact with any people still in scn then you toss the junk mail in the trash - right with the endless greasy pizza offers for a $5 large.

Or, you can go down to the org, make a fuss in the lobby, threaten to sue, scream confidential data & curse old Ron. Yes, you be declared an SP & all scn'gist that you know will disconnect from you.

The good news is that somewhere about the 5 th year after you do that your junk cult mail will start to slow. The ' Dead File ' process is slow & trickles from org to org all over the world.

A few orgs will never get the word & some 10 years out from your good feeling outburst you'll only have a trickle of cult junk mail.

Every piece of mail out is a STAT for somebody that'd like to be paid something that week, have a shot a libs that next weekend so they can see their kids.

Yeah, you'll get slipped back on the mailing list with a slight variation of your name.

To get off the mailing list requires getting declared & dead filed - and then you'll only get a slow down of cult junk mail.

Did I mention scn is psychotic ? If you like it, go for it !

My experience doesn't tally with this. I got declared and almost immediately all mail and communication of any kind stopped from all scientology organizations everywhere.

That was quite a few years ago and I still haven't heard a peep out of them.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

You are in the Scientology database. Also in your records are who your family and friends are.

Periodically, Scientologists will get calls from an "Address Correction" project, and asked if they have current contact information about people they are known to be connected to. Your field-auditor parents, if asked your current address and phone, would then have a choice between giving the info, or refusing and having their certificates cancelled.

Learn to live with it.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

My experience doesn't tally with this. I got declared and almost immediately all mail and communication of any kind stopped from all scientology organizations everywhere.

That was quite a few years ago and I still haven't heard a peep out of them.

And over of a century later I still get mail. One person on the inside with some altitude took it upon themselves to make certain I was dead filed in every org in the world.

Nope. They are ineffective.

Anyone who managed to get entirely free of the junk mail ? I bow to you ! It is a very difficult feat !

By all means, people should try to get off the cult mailing list; however, they should be prepared to not get very upset when they can't end it all.

Oh, does anyone else remember when the PAC orgs were paying a contractor to do the bulk mailings - & found out the contractor was dumping it all in the garbage & pocketing the bucks ?

Yes, said contractor was one of the faithful ! :happydance:

renegade

You are in the Scientology database. Also in your records are who your family and friends are.

Periodically, Scientologists will get calls from an "Address Correction" project, and asked if they have current contact information about people they are known to be connected to. Your field-auditor parents, if asked your current address and phone, would then have a choice between giving the info, or refusing and having their certificates cancelled.

Learn to live with it.

I forgot about that. The org has your "Life History" documents.

I once had a friend show up with a staff member to my new residence. I used a different address on all of my personal mail. I used to get calls from the org asking for phone numbers or whereabouts of friends who had blown scn.

Now I get mail and phone calls saying I need to contact them in order to get my name off the mailing list!

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

I once had a friend show up with a staff member to my new residence. I used a different address on all of my personal mail. I used to get calls from the org asking for phone numbers or whereabouts of friends who had blown scn.

Now I get mail and phone calls saying I need to contact them in order to get my name off the mailing list!

I like the " I see you started the comm course 30 years ago and never finished it. When are you coming in to finish your course " ? letters.

Terminally stupid people writing letters.

Anyway, the answer " I can't. I died. " doesn't seem to be something they grasp as we continue this exchange :)

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

I like the " I see you started the comm course 30 years ago and never finished it. When are you coming in to finish your course " ? letters.

Terminally stupid people writing letters.

Anyway, the answer " I can't. I died. " doesn't seem to be something they grasp as we continue this exchange :)

More like terminally stupid executives making people write letters. The letter writer is just going through the motions. He's got a quota if he wants to go home, and is writing whatever.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

This supports my theory that they are operating under a broad program to verify addresses so they can cut down on promo and postage expenses - that, and recover people or declare them.

Smacks of desperation in any case because to do this means they will finally see what the real CF numbers look like and that will equate to a hugely crashed stat for somebody. Don't suppose CF stats will be mentioned in next New Year's Shermanothon.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

This supports my theory that they are operating under a broad program to verify addresses so they can cut down on promo and postage expenses - that, and recover people or declare them.

Smacks of desperation in any case because to do this means they will finally see what the real CF numbers look like and that will equate to a hugely crashed stat for somebody. Don't suppose CF stats will be mentioned in next New Year's Shermanothon.

I remember back in the 1980's, the org I was at was willing to actively waste money sending to bad addresses, rather than admit how much of their addresso was no good (and have to cut back on their bulk mail stat). As you note, this is an indication that they are hurting for funding.