Finding work after Scientology...a new project.

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by byte301, Apr 29, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. byte301

byte301 Crusader

RightOn on wwp is the person who came up with the list of former members who've spoken out.

Here is his latest idea: Getting together all the stories about the difficulties in finding a job once a person leaves the cult. I'd say the SO stories would be very impactful.

The CoS doesn't give letters of recommendation, referrals, etc. Who knows what they'd say if a potential employer called and asked for verification of employment from an application from an ex seeking work???

How hard was it to find a job? What obstacles did you have to overcome? Did you list the CoS as a former employer on job applications?

I think this as well as the disconnection stories would be a real eye opener to many people.

If you'd like to share your story about this you can pm me and I'll pass it on to RightOn. Or you can post it here and I'll pass it on.

Can someone who is registered at OCMB post this there as well. The ex-SO site too?

2. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

Its an interesting idea with merit I think.
    It could include section for solutions, ie. how to write resumes/evaluate what you do know, tips on job searching, applying for grants to get back to school and so on.

:)

3. Mest Lover

Mest Lover Not Sea Org Qualified

I never mentioned anything about CLO SCN or SO to any potential employer.

I started by getting jobs word of mouth.
    Then I expanded on them with my skills and got refferals for other jobs.

After a while and a whole lot of jobs, the resume and previous employment doesnt include anything to do with Scientology.

I always did wonder what my background checks turned up but I always got cleared because of them.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles was suprised that they could hand over a sheet with my driving record on it because it had 0 infractions for over 5 years and they won't just give you that report otherwise. I used that to get a few jobs.

WORD OF MOUTH and HARD WORK ETHICS.

4. Eva

Eva New Member

Since I went through this --

Consider yourself starting over.

Build your resume using temp jobs, any type, with large companies. Make friends you can use as references. Use your resume as a marketing piece.

I never mentioned Scientology or the Sea Org anywhere, and I don't talk about it when working. In the Tampa Bay area, not a popular subject. Trust me. For real jobs, this distraction in the interview will not get you the job.

This was a way into professional work. I don't know about the trades. The best case scenario: start your own business.

Try to act like a human being, not creepy homo novis. Obsessively using the tone scale on people or asking for withholds--not wanted. Relax. Be friendly and helpful and don't use vulgar language.

Otherwise, fuck it and welcome to the real world.

5. OldAuditor

OldAuditor Patron with Honors

Let Scientology disappear from your resume...

After I closed my mission, I went job shopping in high tech corporations at the age of sixty.

In interviews, I would describe my skill sets instead of job titles. Regging was sales, being a mission holder became executive experience in hiring, management, project management, handling of personnel issues, etc.

I found it easier to get sales jobs at first because every company burns up sales people and spits them out periodically. If you keep your eyes and ears open, you will learn a lot about business in a very short time in a sales position.

The most important thing to remember is that 85% of ALL POSITIONS are filled by personal referral. All the head hunters, employment sites, and resume shops account for only 15% of jobs filled. The answer is for you to network. Tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW that you are looking for work when you meet them. Don't be boring, just use a good comm cycle and when they ask what you do, say I am looking for a job with company X, do you know anyone who works there?

There is more to it of course, but I wrote most of it down in 2005 to pass on to others looking to get work after the age of 55. The name of my book is Danger Quicksand - Have A Nice Day and it is available as a FREE DOWNLOAD at bentcrowpress.com

About 70 thousand copies have been downloaded and I still get letters from people who swear that I must have visited their company in order to be so accurate about the insanity that was there.

There are companies that are almost as crazy as the Sea Org and I describe how to detect that and how to extricate yourself from a bad situation with your sanity intact.

The book also has chapters on interviewing for work and on starting your own company when you have learned enough that you no longer want to play the corporate game.

Download the book and you will find getting and changing jobs at any age will become much easier.

6. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

DON'T list them as a reference. Are you kidding me? The BEST they will say about you is that you worked for a mind-fucking cult for whatever period that you did. The likelihood is that they will also tell the inquiring mind that you were unreliable, caused mayhem, etc. Remember that they now consider you an ENEMY. Would you refer a prospective employer to talk to your enemies about your character?

7. Mest Lover

Mest Lover Not Sea Org Qualified

8. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Fortunately, I was only in the SO for a year and a half. A major reason for my leaving the SO was the realization that if I stayed for much longer I would have burned my bridges in the real world.

When I got out, I looked up a guy who I had worked for pre-Scn. He had recently started his own company, he remembered me and had been happy with me, so he said welcome aboard.

The guy I had worked for just before joining the SO was a Scn, who was very understanding of my circumstance. He covered for me by agreeing to say I had still been working for him for 6 of the months that I was in the SO. I then was able to just stretch the two jobs to cover the gap.

With a few exceptions, revealing yourself as a Scientologist is VERY negative in the business/professional world.

9. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

always provide link

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/42-english/press-release-big-list-exes-1000-a-65669/

10. Miss Pert

Miss Pert Silver Meritorious Patron

I was not only on staff for 2 1/2 years and therefore can't get reference for that time, prior to that I worked for a Scio for 12 years. My ex-boss is now OTVIII and disconnected from me so I don't think I'll be getting a reference there either, although I have put the job on my resume because it's hard to account for that much time out.

At present I am being a nanny for my sister's little girl whilst studying to become a vet nurse but to continue my studies I will need to be employed in this field. Even though I can get references for the prior work, not having current references makes it a little tough but I won't be giving up any time soon.

11. byte301

byte301 Crusader

12. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

Having been a div 6er for so long I know how to shmooz. After I get the job then I learn what I need to know to keep it. Never did have trouble getting a job. Or keeping one.

13. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

Same here, Grey, though I wasn't a Div 6er. I find the hardest part about getting a job is getting the enthusiasm together to care enough to apply.

14. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

Think outside the box

One question you should ask yourself is why you even need a job. I would not want to be looking for a job right now, not by a long shot.

I have been out of Scientology since 1982, was in from 74 thru late 81. Scientology was the huge parasite on my back (that I allowed to be there, of course) during my Navy years, mainly. I rode submarines. After I got out, I mainly sucked at finding jobs or keeping them, but was able to do other things so I didn't always need a job in the traditional job sense. I met a number of interesting folk along the way. Now I trade online.

Anyways ... what is there to do without a traditional J.O.B., which, of course, stands for Just Over Broke. There is this fellow who runs a hotdog stand in town. He works nights, outside of a nightclub. He has a guy working for him down the block with a second hotdog cart he setup and owns. He is into a low 6 figure income.

A friend of mine over in Illinois who was a big Ron Paul supporter when RP was running for the nomination of the Republican party back in 07/08 does pro liberty tee shirts. He has a total investment now of about 10 in hardware. He was borrowing said hardware before he purchased. He did $2700 on the net last week selling at a gathering to the TEA party people. He has a website, but it looks like shit. He still gets orders. If he got his act together with his web presence, got a merchant account, and started taking credit cards, he could do 10x that much on the web on at least a monthly basis if not a weekly basis.

As far as resume's go and work histories ... why not network with other ex Scientologists to back up each other's acceptable truths to tell to prospective employers? That and setup websites for your make believe ex employers.

Do you have enough to get a cheap assed pickup truck? If so, why not paint houses or do handyman work? This would be good for those who were RPF'd for long periods of time and did all of that crap. It isn't rocket science.

If you are still relatively young, i.e., under 50, why not consider getting some help from govt. to retrain? If it were me, I would get into HVAC ... that is, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. We recently had an air conditioning problem, which was traced to a burnt out circuit board in the furnace. The service call itself was $79 dollars and the board, a cheap assed, very simple printed circuit board WITHOUT any high end, exotic computer components, COST $350!!!! There were 6 wires to be wired to terminals, one screw per terminal, and 3 plug ins from wire harnesses. The replacement itself was a 10 minute job. The fellow who made the service call probably picked up $40 dollars on that one, AT LEAST. Two or three of those a day and a nice juicy one where you have to run some line-set to the compressor outside where you pickup $250 for your labor, not a bad day of work.

The bottom line is you have more options than you think, and you should think outside the box.

If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, male, single, and more or less able bodied ... i.e., not in a wheelchair or shlepping an oxygen bottle, etc... if you are not currently a crack head, tweaker, or alky ... in recovery is acceptable ... there is Gospel Missions of America. They are in the fone book in the Rowland Heights area. You will have a roof over your head, you buy your own food. You do fund raising, you get 40 to 50% of the gross, in some cases more. If your most expensive habbit is smoking stinkarettes or if you have no bad habbits, you can stash $400 per week in the bank. It is a low end lifestyle, true, but definitely liveable. The work is easy. This is a total slack numbnutz do nothing take it easy situation for ex Scientology staff used to unreasonable work hours, living off of cardboard and styrofoam noodles and gas station hot dogs. You will live far, far, better than SO or org staff and in 2 years on the outside be capitalized to the point of never having to seek another conventional job again.

Pete

15. Markus

Markus Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome to ESMB Eva

I just wanted to say hi - it is nice to have you here.:thumbsup:

Best wishes

Markus

16. free1996

free1996 Patron with Honors

I should try that with the MV!

17. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

For those with no special skills:

If you can handle physical labor, it pays better than jobs where you sit at a desk.

If you know how to paint or garden, you can always put an ad in one of those small local papers. Use a local phone number, that the locals will recognize as "one of us"

Get any work to begin with, no matter the pay, just keep upgrading your skills and prices until you can comfortably do the jobs and get paid well.

18. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

I went to a temp place, registered with them and badgered them for work until they got me work.

Then kept at them whenever they didn't have work for me.

Eventually they found me a position that they said would lead to permanent work - and it did.

It was all unskilled labouring work and I'm over 50 but it was what was available at the time so I took it - and it kept the money coming in to feed the family etc..

19. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Bump. :p