France: Scientology appeal trial Nov. 3 - Dec. 1, 2011

Discussion in 'France and Belgium' started by mnql1, May 9, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of an article posted on May 9, 2011 on the website of French daily newspaper Le Figaro:
    Scientologie: procès en novembre

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

What options are open to the Appeals Court? Can they, for instance, *increase* the penalties?

Paul

3. Annonny

Annonny Guest

I'm not too greedy. I don't need the court to increase the sentense I just want them to uphold the decision of the lower isntance court (because there is always the possibility of them reversing the decision).
    Unfortunately, in civil law countries, decisions tend to be short and not too wordy [unlike in England or in the States]. I would have loved to have a long decision with lots of beautiful quotes in it.

4. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 3, 2011 on the website of weekly news magazine Le Point:
    Justice : la scientologie cherche à obtenir un renvoi de son procès en appel

5. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a brief report posted on Nov. 4, 2011 on the ouest-france.fr website:
    Procès de la Scientologie : décision mardi

6. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

IANAL but this seems to be going along the lines of typical CoS stalling tactics so that once delays and continuations are granted they can then baw about delays in justice and try and get everything thrown out.
    It'd be nice to get Mr. Berry's take on this, even though its in France I'm sure he could make heads or tails of the basics.
    One thing for sure is that the more the cult bitches and complains, the more people start looking into what its all about and gain insight into its sordid history, the less public support CoS will have as it tries to pass itself off as something ressembling a legitimate 'religion'/charitable (ha!) organization.
    What all this time buying does also is give the lawmakers longer to educate themselves on just how twisted and single minded the corporate cult is.
    It'd be nice to see France, Germany, Australia, Canada, etc. get networking on how grow bigger teeth when dealing with giant multi-level/international scams such as CoS that hide behind religious cloaking and waste various court's time by endless litigation~ ie., fines that start to reflect the costs to taxpayers.

7. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of an excerpt from a French article posted on Nov. 4, 2011 on the sudouest.fr website:
    La scientologie joue son essor en France à la barre

8. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 4, 2011 on the website of weekly news magazine Le nouvel Observateur:
    Scientologie: la défense multiplie les QPC

9. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

On YouTube: a 2-minute subtitled video of a news report that aired on the TF1 network in France on Nov. 3, 2011:

Scientology appeal trial for organized fraud: Nov. 3, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvi-TbhqfcY

10. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 8, 2011 on the website of weekly news magazine Le nouvel Observateur:

Scientologie: cinq QPC rejetées par la cour d'appel de Paris, la défense en présente une nouvelle

11. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 8, 2011 on the website of Le Figaro:
    Scientologie : la défense retarde les débats

12. Emma

Emma Mother of Dragons Administrator

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this mnql1 :thumbsup:

13. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 10, 2011 on the website of the Le Figaro:
    La Scientologie s'en prend à l'Unadfi

14. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of an article posted online on Nov. 11, 2011 in the French edition of Slate:
    Scientologie: les grandes manoeuvres pour échapper à la justice

15. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

Dear Mnql1, have I mentioned lately that you ROCK!

:cheers: & :cake:

Thank you so much for the translations and on keeping us updated on this important topic!

16. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I agree!

I think this case in particular is very important as well.

17. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Me too. I just re-read the whole thing, thank you mnql1. :thumbsup:

18. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 15, 2011 on the website of Le Figaro:
    Scientologie : l'Unadfi reste partie civile

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  19. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

20. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Translation of a French article posted on Nov. 17, 2011 on the website of weekly news magazineLe Point[/url]:
    La Scientologie retire avocats et prévenus d'un procès en France
    Translation of an excerpt from a French article posted on Nov. 17, 2011 on the website of the TF1 network:
    Scientologie : prévenus et avocats quittent le procés