Friendly or Hostile Universe?

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Teanntás, Apr 7, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Teanntás

Teanntás Patron Meritorious

“The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe.”
    Quote attributed to Einstein.

Just about every religion out there has gods and devils. Scientology and it's offshoots have implants etc

What do you think?

2. BardoThodol

BardoThodol Silver Meritorious Patron

If both conditions exist, focusing on either as the single answer is insufficient. A universe can be both hostile and friendly. It doesn't have to be either or.

Reminds me of a story I love:

An old man is sitting beside the road on a hill overlooking a city. A man comes along and asks, "hey, Old Man, what's that city like?"

The old man asks, "I don't know, what was the city like you last came from?

The traveler replied, "It was horrible, all the people were nasty, I couldn't wait to leave."

The old man answered, "Unfortunately, you'll find this city much the same."

Later, another traveler came along and asked, "Sir, what is the city like below?"

To which the old man said, "I don't know, what was the city like you last came from?"

"It was a wonderful place, filled with laughter. I loved the people there."

The old man answered, "Fortunately, you will find this city much the same."

Maybe, the answer to whether this universe is friendly or hostile depends on the same thing.

3. Takin Time

Takin Time Patron with Honors

The world is colored with so many shades of gray that you can look at it as mostly-black or mostly-white... and be mostly right. One's perception of how things are... is usually how one sees it. For example: if you think the traffic in City X is bad, it is; if you think it's okay, then it is.

How you see the world is how it is for you.

Remember the last time you bought a car? All of a sudden, that model of car is everywhere. Well the world didn't just go out and buy it at the same time as you did. No, it was there before, but you just notice it everywhere now.

4. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

It just so happens that I've been listening to some lectures recently on Voltaire by Professor Alan C. Kors, Univ. of Penn.

Votaire's Candide basically addresses this subject. In it he was arguing against Philosophical Optimism and introducing his Humanistic Activism. It can't be described as merely whether we live in either a friendly or hostile universe or not, Voltaire's conclusion that is. But more of a can hostility or evil be explained away as being a part of a perfect creation of God or not.

Many of the religious say, "Well there's a reason and purpose for everything" and implying that we live in a perfect world despite catastrophes, war, injustices, disease, etc... Voltaire called this viewpoint fatalism. He would reply that, “That is well said, but we must cultivate our garden.” He would also add, "The cultivation of the human garden is the only antidote to the despair in which we would otherwise find ourselves if all we had was philosophy for consolation."

I tend to agree with Voltaire.

5. Student of Trinity

Student of Trinity Silver Meritorious Patron

Since most of the universe is vacuum, in which even the fading glow of warmth from the Big Bang has chilled down almost to absolute zero, most of the universe would seem to be pretty inhospitable. Not actively hostile, but whatever it's there for, if anything, it's not there for us.

On the other hand, somehow in all that cold void there are little specks of solid ground, with warmth and air. Somehow we got one, or it got us. I don't know if that really counts as friendly, but it seems to me that it could easily be a lot worse.

6. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

The universe is neither hostile nor friendly. It just is.

Your understanding of how it works will reduce the probability of it biting you.

7. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

I wonder if it is the basis of the yin and yang theory. This is something I would like to understand better.

8. I love those lectures.

I guess you can see where The Anabaptist Jacques came from.

Dr. Pangloss let me drown.

If anyone hasn't read Candide (which was the most read book during the Enlightenment) it is a great book that prompts all the right questions.

The Anabaptist Jacques

9. The universe is friendly.

Except for Philadelphia.

You might wish to avoid there.

(Actually Philadelphia is the place to be in June. The Stones are playing there.)

The Anabaptist Jacques

10. Exactly , the universe doesn't discriminate it will hand out a Darwin Award to anyone who looks hard enough to win one.

11. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

Lol.....Yes I did hear about The Anabaptist Jacques just today in a lecture. I was going to mention it, but you beat me to it.

Yes that fatalist bastard Dr. Pangloss!!! How dare he let TAJ die like that!

:lol:

12. It was the best of all possible worlds.

The Anabaptist Jacques

13. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

14. neither

the fukkin' universe just dont' give a shit either way

15. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

True dat. Still many of the people in it certainly know how to create Hell On Earth. :flames:

Mark A. Baker

16. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

Especially the most rabid loyalists of Yahweh, Allah, Elron Elray, and Walter Mondale.

Yes that's right....Walter Mondale. Lyndon LaRouche said he was one of the most evil men in the world back in the day. So it must be true. :eyeroll:

:lol:

17. when in june?

18. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Ah, that Lyndon LaRouche. He's such a kidder.

:hysterical:

19. it's not there for us but because of us

it exists so whatever created it can stay a long way away from us

20. make a bloody art of it they do