Getting Rid of Scientology Materials

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by spookles99, Apr 7, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. spookles99

spookles99 Patron

Hello,

I'm wondering what ex-Scientologists do with all the Scientology crap they bought over the years.

I have a nearly complete set of LRH horse manure (almost 2000 lectures on CD and tape) and am considering my options. Do ex-scions sell their stuff on ebay / craigslist, chuck it all in the garbage so nobody will come across it, or something else? Is there a cult repository of LRH horse manure somewhere to which I could donate this stuff for a tax receipt?

Right now, I'm planning on giving my collection to the Salvation Army for the tax-deductible donation receipt. Advice?

2. Accord to HH, all of the Scientology crap he accumulated saved his life, he used it to build a fire to keep himself warm.

3. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

FZers would be your best market. Don't know anything about this
    receit.

4. R6Basic

R6Basic Patron Meritorious

there has been threads that have addressed this. I remember one person donated them to a college so they could study Scn. with out cult interference.

If you could get a tax break would prob. make the best use of the material.

You probably wouldn't get much trying to sell on Ebay, that usually goes very cheap if at all.

The Independent movement (ruled over by Marty Rathbun) may be very interested or they may feel the newer stuff has been changed so much that it is unusable.

And like Terril said Free Zoners might be interested as well.

Some have just thrown it away. When I was a staff member a public returned everything she had by leaving it in a trash sack near the back door.

You build a "bridge" out of all the junk put it in your front yard as a protest to Scn. and maybe get in the news. :)
    Good luck

5. Caroline

Caroline Patron Meritorious

Please consider sending them to me, so they can be put to good use. :yes:

http://www.carolineletkeman.org/about/contact-me

6. Loohan

Loohan Am I Mettaya?

You might get a FEW bucks at a large used bookstore.

7. Terril is right the material has about as much value as user's manuals for software nobody uses any longer, the only place you might be able to get a few bucks for it is find a sucker in the Freezone who still hasn't figured out what Scientology is.

8. Thrak

Thrak Gold Meritorious Patron

Dumpster is your friend.

9. NoName

NoName A Girl Has No Name

I saw some cult material at the thrift shop the other day. I almost bought it so I could burn it. I always worry that some poor soul who hasn't been inoculated by all the entheta on the internet will buy it and get interested in Scn. But I didn't have enough cash with me so I left it.

But something to think about if you donate it - what will happen to the buyer?

10. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

I sold a great deal of my stuff on eBay.

I got about $500 for the OEC and Tech Vol sets each (1993 editions). Got about $175 for the Management Series volumes.

I sold promo pieces, my e- meters, small booklets, various tape sets, etc. It is amazing really, but people actually BUY this stuff! :duh:

You will generally be selling to people who are already interested, often ex-Church members. It is "out-ethics" to buy this stuff outside of an org, so your market will mainly be Freezone types.

I always ran the auctions with Buy It Now pricing, and I would wait for that one person to come along who wanted the item. Sometimes they would make me offers - some I accepted and some I didn't. But, eventually I sold almost all of the crap.

11. Idle Morgue

Idle Morgue Gold Meritorious Patron

What I believe should be done with everything having to do with Scientology - is destroy it. You don't want some poor sap getting a hold of it. It is dangerous because it leads someone to HOPE that some help is out there. We all know where it leads - nothing but insanity and destruction.

My two SP's that I recently got out finally, without me saying anything to them, told me they took everything to the dump but smashed their 4 e-meters and 1,100 lbs. of books, lectures, dvd's - it all got dumped and destroyed.

I took all my stuff to the dump last year - 660 lbs....cost me $59 bucks to dump it but it was the best dump I ever took and most most valuable money I ever spent having to do with Scientology!:lol: My house felt so "theta" after I got rid of everything. Bring any gold pins to a jewler - make sure you smash it first - they will give you money for the gold. I got $400 for my pins!!

Please - destroy it! We owe it to mankind!

12. GreyLensman

GreyLensman Silver Meritorious Patron

Initially I had the tech volumes R&D volumes and OEC volumes, and all of the books, and tapes, series after series of tapes, and the PDCs. These were all old ones, not the re-issued stuff. I lost alot of it in moves, and didn't miss it. I threw much of the rest away. I found all of the books and much of the confidential materials in electronic form on the internet and wikileaks, the only thing I kept was a leather-bound copy of Intro to Sci Ethics, a leather-bound Way to Happiness and a set of PDC tapes. And then I threw away the PDC tapes and left my leather-bound books behind as debris during a divorce.

I'm not sure I would donate it. What if someone actually found it and followed up by visiting and getting involved with Scientology?

13. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

Cool! Reading this thread just rehabbed a theta win I had last century in March 87 when I literally threw all my cult tapes and books in the dumpster. I certainly didn't want anyone else exposed to those materials and end up a victim of the cult.

Hu666ard once said that his supposed book Excalibur when read made people insane or suicidal. He forgot to mention that any exposure to any of his books or lectures and other writings made many people insane in one fashion or another. Some even committed suicide. Some went bankrupt. Some lost their families. Etc. This is why I disposed of these 1.1 materials without sorrow.

After my dumpster incident I smashed my Mark V e-meter on the sidewalk in front of my apartment. That was another really theta experience for me as well.

The only cult remnant I still have is a Mark VI or one of those versions after the Mark V. I was hoping to sell it one day but apparently it's not worth it's weight in beans. Maybe I'll make of video of putting it in a blast furnace or some other cleansing ritual and then post the video on You Tube. That would be a really cool theta thing to do!

:scnsucks:

14. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

I threw all mine away.

It felt GREAT!

Try it. You will like it. :)

TG1

15. c-orgy

c-orgy Patron with Honors

Tried selling it on ebay, amazon, craigslist.

No interest for weeks.

It took up a lot of space (as you know). We boxed it up and it filled half a walk in closet from floor to ceiling.

Everytime I looked at it, it was a reminder of the 'loss' that is Scn.

Ended up tossing it all in a dumpster--

The Basics, the books before the basics, the lectures, tapes, course packs- used and unused-- thousands of dollars.

It felt so good just to have all that shit out of my living space.

16. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

I would hop into the community of Independent Scientologists and see if they want to buy it, or if you just want to give it to one of them and have them pay for shipping.

17. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Consider sending it to Professor Steven Kent for his collection.
    A number of colleges and academic researchers would probably appreciate it and could give you a tax deduction.

18. Dean Blair

Dean Blair Silver Meritorious Patron

I had a large collection of Scientology books and e-meters. OEC Volumes, tapes, Tech Volumes, etc. I had considered selling them as I needed the money but when I really thought about it I realized that I did not want anyone else to get tricked into the scam and so even though I did need the money, I destroyed the meters and threw out all of the books in my dumpster and covered it with sloppy garbage so that no one would go through it and take anything out.

To use Scientology terms I was destroying this junk for the greatest good and selling it would have been another "overt" on mankind.

19. I would donate it to any Academic Institution with a Religion or Sociology department who had a teacher or researcher who wanted it...I would start by contacting those departments in my local Colleges or Universities.

It may have some good research value for someone...

Otherwise...craft a ritual for destroying or recycling it...could be very freeing and healing for you!

I think Chuck Beatty is also in touch with not only Academic researchers but Reporters who are researching Scientology and perhaps could put it to good use...

Or ship it to Caroline for her archives! That's a good use, too! :thumbsup:

Good for you for getting rid of it and moving forward in life!!! :clap:

20. LRonDullard

LRonDullard New Member

Do you have an e-meter you'd be willing to sell for under $100?