What's new

Gratitude...

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
when I read such lovely posts about gratitude and all the lovely things that I could and maybe ''should' be feeling it just reminds what a little ungrateful, vindictive, nastey piece of sh..t I am.:bigcry:

Wait a minute...... where am I on the tonescale? (quick look in the $cience of survival edition 1978)
Oh well, what else can you expect from a 1.1 covert;y hostile bastard :yes:

No, but I honestly love such little pieces of wisdom, and every now and then I get all philosophical and look thru such books.
Indeed I have "the secret" and have watched videos on Abraham Hicks "Law of attraction"

Now I understand at least why flies are attracted to me:bigcry:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
when I read such lovely posts about gratitude and all the lovely things that I could and maybe ''should' be feeling it just reminds what a little ungrateful, vindictive, nastey piece of sh..t I am.:bigcry:

Wait a minute...... where am I on the tonescale? (quick look in the $cience of survival edition 1978)
Oh well, what else can you expect from a 1.1 covert;y hostile bastard :yes:

No, but I honestly love such little pieces of wisdom, and every now and then I get all philosophical and look thru such books.
Indeed I have "the secret" and have watched videos on Abraham Hicks "Law of attraction"

Now I understand at least why flies are attracted to me:bigcry:

Flies and bts.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Jeez, sorry, I hate to be all negative, but this actually repulses me:

"This is what allowed me to realize that the gratitude is an acknowledgment of the things we have and it clears our receipt of those things so more can flow into our life."

That is not gratitude.

Gratitude comes from "grateful" which derives from the root word "grace".

One gives "gratitude" willingly and freely (without conditions) like the Latin word 'gratus" (free).

Gratitude is thanking ANOTHER to make them feel good by showing a token of appreciation. Giving words of praise and love is a symbolic way of giving back to the person that you are grateful to.

At the highest level, it is a humble and self-less act of kindness towards another for their help, generosity et al.

In HellRon's world, he is clearly anxious to "clear receipt" so he "can get more to flow into" his life.

More?!

MORE IS NOT GRATITUDE!!!!

Perhaps HellRon meant to say Greeditude.

Interesting reactions on this thread.

Hoaxy, perhaps it depends on your definition of "things" and "more" here.

I"ll repeat the sentence I wrote above that Schwimmy picked up on:

We were taught that we were "cause" and in fact create both the good and bad things that happen. So if a good thing happened the immediate response is "I caused that, yay for me" and a bad thing "I pulled it in, I am a (insert derogatory scio word)". The view does not allow for any outside influence in our lives, or any real spiritual input.

It's no secret I like metaphysics and it has been a long road towards trying to understand the energies and influences outside my own realm of "cause". The first step is to become aware and accept that they exist. I don't have any answers, only my own conclusions, however to me I am part of something bigger than my sometimes small perceptions would allow. Another thing is to have no expectations that gratitude or anything else allows me to demand or expect anything.

So when I talk of "things" and "more" it is not necessarily in the form of MEST. That is a scientologists view, to assume "things" are solid.

Let me give you an example, perhaps more info than I should but what the hell. I am grateful to have a voice now.

For the last 8 months I have been living in a small unit, the only one available for me at the time. The recent heavy rains in Melbourne revealed a flaw in this old building which is due to be demolished and it has flooded 4 times through the bathroom and kitchen. It was hell on earth but you know, I just got on with it and was grateful to have a very clean floor. I knew this was a temporary residence and there was nothing I could do about it (the landlord did eventually fix the problem). Knowing I was stuck here with no idea of how to get out of this pickle, every time I started to stress I would concentrate on the things to be grateful for in this environment. Close to the shops, lots of birds, easier access for my friends than my previous place, creative time alone and so on. I am actually grateful for this place in so many ways, even if others think it's the pits, it's a roof over my head.

Out of the blue a new housing situation has appeared, totally unexpected and it's going to be great. When I signed the lease the official actually said the words to me twice - "this is a gift" as though she too was amazed and happy for me. It is a gift and I am once again grateful. My 21 year old hip revision is showing signs of failing and you know, I am bloody grateful it didn't happen 6 months ago and that I will be in a safe environment for what is to come. I am incredibly grateful for the help and support of my friends, even those I haven't met in person :coolwink: and as I am so, even more love appears when I need it most.

It's about how you look at things. Maybe other people don't view it all as I do, this is just my own experience of gratitude.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Interesting reactions on this thread.

Hoaxy, perhaps it depends on your definition of "things" and "more" here.

I"ll repeat the sentence I wrote above that Schwimmy picked up on:

We were taught that we were "cause" and in fact create both the good and bad things that happen. So if a good thing happened the immediate response is "I caused that, yay for me" and a bad thing "I pulled it in, I am a (insert derogatory scio word)". The view does not allow for any outside influence in our lives, or any real spiritual input.

It's no secret I like metaphysics and it has been a long road towards trying to understand the energies and influences outside my own realm of "cause". The first step is to become aware and accept that they exist. I don't have any answers, only my own conclusions, however to me I am part of something bigger than my sometimes small perceptions would allow. Another thing is to have no expectations that gratitude or anything else allows me to demand or expect anything.

So when I talk of "things" and "more" it is not necessarily in the form of MEST. That is a scientologists view, to assume "things" are solid.

Let me give you an example, perhaps more info than I should but what the hell. I am grateful to have a voice now.

For the last 8 months I have been living in a small unit, the only one available for me at the time. The recent heavy rains in Melbourne revealed a flaw in this old building which is due to be demolished and it has flooded 4 times through the bathroom and kitchen. It was hell on earth but you know, I just got on with it and was grateful to have a very clean floor. I knew this was a temporary residence and there was nothing I could do about it (the landlord did eventually fix the problem). Knowing I was stuck here with no idea of how to get out of this pickle, every time I started to stress I would concentrate on the things to be grateful for in this environment. Close to the shops, lots of birds, easier access for my friends than my previous place, creative time alone and so on. I am actually grateful for this place in so many ways, even if others think it's the pits, it's a roof over my head.

Out of the blue a new housing situation has appeared, totally unexpected and it's going to be great. When I signed the lease the official actually said the words to me twice - "this is a gift" as though she too was amazed and happy for me. It is a gift and I am once again grateful. My 21 year old hip revision is showing signs of failing and you know, I am bloody grateful it didn't happen 6 months ago and that I will be in a safe environment for what is to come. I am incredibly grateful for the help and support of my friends, even those I haven't met in person :coolwink: and as I am so, even more love appears when I need it most.

It's about how you look at things. Maybe other people don't view it all as I do, this is just my own experience of gratitude.

Your gratitude is beautiful. It is gratitude!

mate

Patron Meritorious
The late Alan Walter wrote a book on this, which he has posted on ESMB. In spite of the title, "The Secret of Getting Rich", it applies in all walks of life, as you will find, when you read it. I not only strongly recommend it, but I urge you to apply it.

Regards, David.

FlunkedForLaughing

Patron with Honors
"Free to Shine" got me thinking about his/her apartment situation and he/she found something to be grateful anyway. So here's how I've been working with it.

It's almost like there are two sides to me, UngratefulMe and GratefulMe.

UngratefulMe says: My motorcycle sucks because it's old and not fast enough.
GratefulMe now says: Yea but at least I have a motorcycle, and I've had a lot of fun with it.

UngratefulMe says: I've got to work this weekend when everyone else is out having fun on Memorial Day.
GratefulMe now says: Yea but at least I have a good steady job. How many people out there wish they had a good job like I have, and wouldn't mind putting in some extra time on a long weekend.

UngratefulMe says: I'm getting old and it sucks.
GratefulMe now says: Yea but at least I've still got my health and my good attitude.

When I find myself thinking negative thoughts, I try to say "Yea but at least ..." and find something to be grateful for. I'm not grateful for the bad. I'm grateful for the good that I can think of, or the fact that it's not any worse.

Am I doing this right? It seems to be having a positive result when I do it like that.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
"Free to Shine" got me thinking about his/her apartment situation and he/she found something to be grateful anyway. So here's how I've been working with it.

GratefulMe now says: Yea but at least I have a motorcycle, and I've had a lot of fun with it.

UngratefulMe says: I've got to work this weekend when everyone else is out having fun on Memorial Day.
GratefulMe now says: Yea but at least I have a good steady job. How many people out there wish they had a good job like I have, and wouldn't mind putting in some extra time on a long weekend.

GratefulMe now says: Yea but at least I've still got my health and my good attitude.

When I find myself thinking negative thoughts, I try to say "Yea but at least ..." and find something to be grateful for. I'm not grateful for the bad. I'm grateful for the good that I can think of, or the fact that it's not any worse.

Am I doing this right? It seems to be having a positive result when I do it like that.

Yeah I like that, good way to put it!

I'm grateful for the OP and for all you guys who chimed in with your thoughts on gratitude... :clap:

I'm grateful for everyone who reads this thread and thinks about the topic of actively expressing more gratitude in their life. :yes:

I myself am very, VERY grateful to be alive, even when the roof is leaking and things are a mess. :melodramatic: :biggrin::

If there is a Unified Field, and dark energy/dark matter does fill all space (inner and outer) and responds to vibrations and influences that are non-contingent, then the energy and vibrations of all our thoughts, considerations and intentions, both negative and positive, about anything are powerful and do cause an effect. :happydance:

Some of you might feel that this is a mighty big "IF", but I see it manifested in my life and all around me daily.

Intentions and visualizations are creative, especially when you can follow them up with words and works! :thumbsup:

All of us can turn thoughts into things. :happydance:

Shakespeare said: Nothing is, either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. In my universe, this is the Truth!

And now, for a humorous view of this:
images

Last edited:

olska

Silver Meritorious Patron
The late Alan Walter wrote a book on this, which he has posted on ESMB. In spite of the title, "The Secret of Getting Rich", it applies in all walks of life, as you will find, when you read it. I not only strongly recommend it, but I urge you to apply it.

Regards, David.

The book that was POSTED by the late Alan Walter, in the thread you referenced, was actually WRITTEN by Wallace D. Wattles.

It is available free to download from various sites on the internet, and is titled The Science of Getting Rich.

Regards, olska

RogerB

Crusader

Nice, FlunkedForLaughing!

I think you are doing great with it.

It appears "gratitude," as an attribute, is a capacity we all have as spiritual Beings. One might also view it as a virtue in the same ilk as Love, Honor, Appreciation, Truthfulness, etc.

The issue is, all our virtues and powers can be applied/expressed either positively or negatively . . . with the negative expressions going so far as to be dichotomously opposite to the positive: as in Love switching to Hatred.

It is easy to see that when one practices the negative expressions of our virtues/faculties one is destructive of life, harmony, well-being, etc. And it is easy to see that when one practices the positive expressions of these things one enhances life and empowers all that is good and worthwhile.

So, FlunkedForLaughing, I'd say what you have written is spot on! :yes::yes:

Indeed, working to enhance and strengthen these positive attributes that are native to us is one of the most rewarding processing actions you can undertake.

RogerB

FlunkedForLaughing

Patron with Honors
Thanks RogerB. It feels right the way I'm doing it. I'm on a roll now. I am able to hold an "attitude of gratitude" for long periods of time by doing this. I've never consciously done this before.

I saw online an interview of some guy who had a horrible accident and lost his entire face. He got the first ever face transplant. After seeing that, no matter what negative I come up with, I can always say, "yea well at least I have a face!" For some reason that one always cracks me up. I don't mean to be mean or make fun of a bad situation, but the point is that it could always be worse no matter what's happening at the time. That guy represents to me how bad it could get. It's not *that* bad, and I'm grateful for that.

This is cool stuff. It reminds me a lot of the post recently where (sorry I forget the posters name) posted about stopping the suffering by accepting what is happening. On some level, seeing that it could be worse and being grateful for the good is stopping the suffering by being at peace with it. It seems to fit along the same lines, maybe not exactly the same but very similar.

Thanks David for posting the link to Alan's post about "The Secret of Getting Rich". There's some really good stuff in there. Cheers.