What's new

HE&R - Human Emotion and Reaction

TheRealNoUser

Patron with Honors
I was just reading a thread over on Marty Rathbun's blog from some OT8 artist who has finally seen the Church of Miscavology for what it is.
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/vincent-magni-truth-revealed/

Quite a good write-up for showing to any Scienos that you know who are still caught up in the game. A complete and utter load of shit for those of us who have already come to terms with the big picture of Hubbard's con game called Scientology.

In my opinion Mr. Magni is only on rung one of the ladder out of the Scientology mindfuck, but that is not what I wanted to draw your attention to.

One of the things that caught my attention in the comments was the repeated use of the phrase "without HE&R". Now, for those not up on the whole Scientology lingo-thing ... HE&R stands for "Human Emotion and Reaction", and is looked upon in Scientology as a negative trait. Readers were commending the author of the thread for not using HE&R in his write-up.

This reminded me that I find it funny when Scientogists use this term (as Hubbard intended) to undermine the valuable instincts that act as alarm bells when a person senses that something is not quite right.

Now why would Scientology want to do this? Hmmm, let me think . . . What could it be . . .

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
When I first came across this concept of HE&R being something negative, it was a serious WTF? moment. After thinking about it for some time I quickly understood the logic behind this.

This is a tough universe and Scientologists must be tigers to survive (and to disseminate). It's a necessary part of the indoctrination to be tough, uncompromising and ruthlessly determined. According to Hubbard humans were weak, stupid and misguided, Scientologists should feel superior to them. Hubbard's goal was to make people as inhumane as possible, to mold them into his personal Ronbot army. Mankind's greatest friend? Even the 'common, garden-variety humanoid' doesn't buy this bullshit.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
It can also mean "objectively".

I know what you mean, I think, but I also think that one can dispassionately look at CofS and see how fucked up it is.

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
It can also mean "objectively".

I know what you mean, I think, but I also think that one can dispassionately look at CofS and see how fucked up it is.

You mean without HE&R, Claire?

It may have meant objectively, but basically it was used to tell those of us who were mad as hell and about to tell some self-righteous prick off that we weren't allowed to "have case" or HE&R, and in many many instances it kept a lid on things that truly should have been emotionally reacted to.

Objectively speaking.

I don't want to derail the HE&R topic, but what interested me in his brainwashed speel was that it was Debbie Cook's letter that got him out the door.....after a vomit making story about applying fatty's "conditions".

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
LOL. This is a prime example of HH's Law of Commotion.

On the one hand we were all taught "No HE&R".
On the other hand face-ripping, an ultimate HE&R, was approved for getting the job done.

Looking back on scio, no HE&R meant STFU and do as your told. What an insane asylum the SO was.

Lamb

Patron with Honors
When I broke up with my boyfriend and felt heartbroken, I was told that it was only he&r and that B vitamins would help me feel better while I cleared that & wrote up my overts...it didn't ever sink in as true then and now I know why...BS is just BS!

Last edited:

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
One of the things that caught my attention in the comments was the repeated use of the phrase "without HE&R". Now, for those not up on the whole Scientology lingo-thing ... HE&R stands for "Human Emotion and Reaction", and is looked upon in Scientology as a negative trait. Readers were commending the author of the thread for not using HE&R in his write-up.

This reminded me that I find it funny when Scientogists use this term (as Hubbard intended) to undermine the valuable instincts that act as alarm bells when a person senses that something is not quite right.

Now why would Scientology want to do this? Hmmm, let me think . . . What could it be . . .

Good one, RNU! Gotta stay impassive when the shit starts to hit the fan. There's no such thing as an "appropriate" emotional response -- it's all HE&R, therefore inappropriate, therefore case on post. The more I think about it, the odder it is.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
You mean without HE&R, Claire?

It may have meant objectively, but basically it was used to tell those of us who were mad as hell and about to tell some self-righteous prick off that we weren't allowed to "have case" or HE&R, and in many many instances it kept a lid on things that truly should have been emotionally reacted to.

Objectively speaking.

Yes, that's exactly right. I totally agree with you. The cult has always always always gone to great lengths to stop any internal dissent. (external, too, though now that the floodgates are truly open they aren't doing so well anymore)

For people who talk about the virtues of communication, they sure love to halt, stop, stymie and alter it.

StickbyMe

Patron with Honors
I don't want to derail the HE&R topic, but what interested me in his brainwashed speel was that it was Debbie Cook's letter that got him out the door.....after a vomit making story about applying fatty's "conditions".

Totally. Perhaps when people ask what to say to SO members they want to rescue, we should just have them print Debbie's letter and give it to them.

As to his being brainwashed, he's how a lot of us are on the way out. The man spent a literal fortune and a lot of his life dedicated to a cause. The Bridge defined him for so long, it would be inhuman to just let that go instantly. I think he did an amazing job of looking at actual statistics and realizing that something is very rotten in the state of Denma--- er, Dianetics. He just made Grade 0 on the REAL Bridge to Freedom. Give him a year or two living amongst the wogbogs in the bogwogs and he'll come around the rest of the way.

TheRealNoUser

Patron with Honors
dunno...

maybe just verbal tech

but in fact when tempered by the second rendering the term has a saner perspective
You're right. That's what I thought. It's too sane for a HubDef !

Hubbard always ensured definitions had a certain impact, and made sure it caused the right degree of alienation.

1. He used the word "Human" to make sure that Scientologists felt superior to your run-of-the-mill humanoid, and so that they would never want to return to such a debased state as a "Human".

2. He used the word "Emotion" so that Scientologists would distrust their emotions, and simply regard them as an animal instinct that his "Homo Novis" was far above.

3. He used the word "Reaction" to remind Scientologists that it is the "Reactive Mind" that simply reacts to things ... to be avoided at all costs.

The fact is - Human Emotion & Reaction are far superior to anything taught in Scientology. They are instincts that are both beautiful and valuable.

Listening to these instincts would cause anyone to run a mile from Scientology. Hubbard knew this, and wanted to belittle and destroy them.

TRNU.

Fancy

Patron Meritorious
Totally. Perhaps when people ask what to say to SO members they want to rescue, we should just have them print Debbie's letter and give it to them.

As to his being brainwashed, he's how a lot of us are on the way out. The man spent a literal fortune and a lot of his life dedicated to a cause. The Bridge defined him for so long, it would be inhuman to just let that go instantly. I think he did an amazing job of looking at actual statistics and realizing that something is very rotten in the state of Denma--- er, Dianetics. He just made Grade 0 on the REAL Bridge to Freedom. Give him a year or two living amongst the wogbogs in the bogwogs and he'll come around the rest of the way.

Not always I know some out for ten years and they are still so sucked into it that I don't think they will ever leave it behind. It took me many years to wake up myself and once I started to read about since especially about the resource based economy data I woke up.