How is the CofS generating new members?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Cannon Fodder, Sep 27, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Patron

I was just wondering where new members to the church are coming from in this day and age? I mean in this information age, if I were in a position where I was looking to join a new religion, I would probably research it thoroughly first. One would think that anyone who spends more than a few minutes researching the church on the Internet for instance would have serious concerns about what they may be getting into! I would hope that with all the information out there, anyone with an ounce of sense would run very fast in the opposite direction.

2. gomorrhan

gomorrhan Gold Meritorious Patron

Ah, but what about those of us who only had a few hundred micrograms of sense? I guess we'd still be ass out.

3. thetanic

thetanic Gold Meritorious Patron

Have you seen The Matrix?

4. Feral

Feral Rogue male

Welcome Cannon Fodder!

It is clearly a problem for them. Also with the exodus occurring the church could be walking into a period of rapid contraction. It is totally geared for expansion and has incurred a lot of expense (albeit their publics) in acquiring new orgs etc. So I don't know how they will maintain the facade in the mid term future.

5. voldemorte

voldemorte Patron

From my experience, the OT committees are pushed VERY hard to get out and do stress tests, sell books, etc. They go to many fairs, or other local events and very public areas. I have seen them in shopping malls, etc.

If you want to move up the OT levels, your participation is actually a requirement. You must bring in new members. I still receive weekly requests on my stats that I have for booksales, new starts, hours of contributions. If you are on OT7 and don't contribute enough, ethics is the answer, until you restate how you will contribute in a lengthy condition formula, donate more, and then once you return back home, it is a REQUIREMENT to be part of the local OT committee.

Also from what I've seen, the basics are now the primary tool used for recovery. It is the push everywhere that the Basics are the solution. Every win that is sent for L's or OTVIII credits the basics. That has opened up the old public that has been off lines, and the major push is recovery, recovery, recovery.

6. klidov

klidov Silver Meritorious Patron

Hey Cannon Fodder! Welcome:happydance:

O.K.-it works like this:

I bought a book off of Amazon. For a few dollars (I think) a factory sealed copy of the History of Man.

Next thing you know my mailbox is STUFFED with mail from the Co$. Discussion with Amazon revealed that I bought the book from BRIDGE PUBLISHING (wtg, right? :duh: ) and the cult claimed I sent in the postcards asking for add'l information.

Now I get mail addressed to "Fellow Scientologist". I have never been a $ci, but I bet their numbers went up by one.

That's how they get new members :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  7. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

I honestly don't think they are. If so, it's very few new members and it's those who don't have computers and listen and believe every word told to them from "church" members.:D

Oops. Welcome to ESMB!!

8. Supra

Supra Patron

Lack of expansion

I believe expansion for the CoS is a real big problem. I spoke with a business colleague yesterday for the first time about Scn and immediately he originated "Oh that the Zenu stuff".

The internet and freedom of speach must really piss DM off.

9. Stan D'Teque

Stan D'Teque Patron with Honors

Yep it's a HUGE problem - the only people I've seen come in the front door recently have been Internet illiterate. I've lost count of the people who are surprised Mm D'Teque and self are $cions because "you are so nice and normal." When I quietly tell them now we are EX-$cions, the smiles are HUGE!!!

10. Stan D'Teque

Stan D'Teque Patron with Honors

Sorry!!!

Apologies for my bad manners, Cannon Fodder - WELCOME!!!!!

11. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Hi Cannon fodder. Guess you are being ironic with the nick. :)

12. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Patron

Thanks for the welcome all.

As for the nick: I always try to cover any possible bases :)

13. Yoghurt

Yoghurt Patron

@OP

I've often wondered the same. Everyone knows that Internet searches exist, most know of Google and most of those know how to use it. (type in your curiosity, click search)

I Google everything. If I'm going to buy something from a vendor online, I'll Google them to find out what people have said about them. If I was doing something as big as joining a faith, I'd most certainly Google it. A lot. I suppose that's why they're targeting Africa, India and Russia more now.

Off topic: I got my nick because I was eating yoghurt when I registered!

14. Neo

Neo Silver Meritorious Patron

How many people who get involved with Scientology are looking for a "faith"? Most are trying to deal with a difficulty in their life. They probably come across a Scientology publication of some sort, and it progresses from there.

You're thinking with the end result (Scientologists), without giving any thought to the steps it takes to get there. I've never met anybody who woke up one day and thought "you know what, I think I'll become a Scientologist".

Neo

15. Yoghurt

Yoghurt Patron

Fair comment. My point still stands though: These days, Google stuff.

16. Neo

I wasn't referring to "these days". I was referring to when we all got involved.
    And don't be so arrogant. I'm sure you have erred in judgment once or twice.
    As good as Google may be "these days" it still can't solve all the world's problems.

Neo

17. Yoghurt

Yoghurt Patron

Don't be grumpy, Neo. The thread itself is referring to new members these days, which is what I was replying to. No one was talking about the era when you joined.

Read the OP again:
    So, my point still stands.

18. thetanic

thetanic Gold Meritorious Patron

I was an "early adopter" so there were BBSes back in the day, but I never saw any reference to Scientology.

I'm guessing that they are mostly getting people who aren't internet savvy, and there's plenty of them.

19. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

Yoghurt, you'll find they don't get many new member at all.
    They have been juicing the older members for years now. Many of those older members are starting to figure it all out now.

20. Neo

Not grumpy. Just clarifying my point. Which does still apply to people today, although as you point out, they have the benefit of Google. If they use it.

As for your point - new public into Scientology would be negligible. The sustained negative publicity they have received this year has impacted on their ability to recruit enormously. And believe me - I am not grumpy about that!

Neo